Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 2:33 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
My Dad just got a vaccine appointment!

And it's in Wisconsin.

That says it all
What does it say, exactly? Pray tell, please tell us all! Provide your words of wisdom for all of us to live by!

You know what it really means? It means your dad was searching around in many locations, and just happened to come across an appointment in Wisconsin before he found an opening in Illinois. Could have been random chance, could have been simply because he's got the ability to travel for a vaccination and cast a wide net, so to speak.

I know of a LOT of people who have gotten at least one of their two doses at this point. Of course the situation's far from perfect, but the vaccination rates are improving rapidly and distribution is getting far, far better. You just love to point the finger at Chicago and Illinois for just about every single thing you can imagine, that's all.

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 2:42 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
What does it say, exactly? Pray tell, please tell us all! Provide your words of wisdom for all of us to live by!

You know what it really means? It means your dad was searching around in many locations, and just happened to come across an appointment in Wisconsin before he found an opening in Illinois. Could have been random chance, could have been simply because he's got the ability to travel for a vaccination and cast a wide net, so to speak.

I know of a LOT of people who have gotten at least one of their two doses at this point. Of course the situation's far from perfect, but the vaccination rates are improving rapidly and distribution is getting far, far better. You just love to point the finger at Chicago and Illinois for just about every single thing you can imagine, that's all.

Aaron (Glowrock)
My Dad called all around in Illinois, including his own doctor's office, multiple times per day (both phone calls and online searches).

After weeks of doing this, my wife recommended he try Aurora in Kenosha.

One call. Appointment secured.

The difference between me and many here is that I love the city and the working people and private businesses & not-for-profits of Chicago and the region, and I don't get why some get butthurt when people criticize its ineffectual corrupt political leaders. The regional political leaders aren't what define this region. Many of them deserve every criticism they get.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Last edited by the urban politician; Mar 3, 2021 at 3:11 PM.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 3:03 PM
TL;DR

Wisconsin does seem to have a more effective state government than Illinois sometimes, but I wonder how much of that is an illusion.

How much of the good roads in Wisconsin are because they deliberately neglect public transportation? How much of the vaccine availability is because they aren't proactively reaching out to poor Wisconsinites and Wisconsinites of color?

Clearly Wisconsin does some things well (I love their well-maintained state parks) and Illinois certainly has corruption (can't deny the regular flow of federal indictments) but it's kind of apples-to-oranges comparison since each state has different goals and ambitions for government.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 3:10 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Wisconsin does seem to have a more effective state government than Illinois sometimes, but I wonder how much of that is an illusion.

How much of the good roads in Wisconsin are because they deliberately neglect public transportation? How much of the vaccine availability is because they aren't proactively reaching out to poor Wisconsinites and Wisconsinites of color?

Clearly Wisconsin does some things well (I love their well-maintained state parks) and Illinois certainly has corruption (can't deny the regular flow of federal indictments) but it's kind of apples-to-oranges comparison since each state has different goals and ambitions for government.
Thanks for this thoughtful and productive response. I am not AT ALL in love with Wisconsin. Nuance still exists in this world. But I do think that Pritzker didn't do a very good job, and it's been very difficult for many of us. For example, his boneheaded policy of opening the doors wide open for vaccine eligibility only made it more of a scramble for limited resources, and retirees over 65 are getting the bad end of the stick. I'm glad that Chicago area counties decided not to follow Pritzker's lead on this.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 3:54 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Illinois has picked up the pace quite a bit, now moving from below average to at basically the national average in shots given.

Comparing Illinois to Wisconsin, 16.4% of Illinois residents have had a first shot compared to 16.9% of Wisconsin residents. Significantly more Wisconsin residents have had second shots (9% vs. 6.8%) though, since Illinois was significantly lagging for a while. Illinois has used 79% of delivered doses and Wisconsin has used 84%. So Wisconsin IS doing a little better, but not by that much. It's possible that it's easier to get a vaccine in Wisconsin because fewer eligible people want it. That may also be why it makes sense to expand eligibility down-state. I imagine 70-80% of Chicagoland wants the vaccine but less than 50% of Downstate...

Last edited by SIGSEGV; Mar 3, 2021 at 7:07 PM.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 5:10 PM
Plenary pleasures.

My parents got their first vaccinations two weeks ago...after two-three weeks of desperately trying to get in anywhere, signing up at Walgreen's, CVS, two separate hospitals, etc. They're getting their second shots in two weeks, which will be a huge weight of both theirs and my shoulders - I don't care about myself, I'll get it whenever it becomes widely available, and that's totally fine.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post

Aaron (Glowrock)
Yea, my girlfriends dad got his second shot yesterday and both my parents get their second shots tomorrow. All are 1B. From listening to their experiences, none of them had particular difficulty, either. My parents just looked online the day it opened up for all seniors back in January and had an appointment lined up one or two weeks later.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 3:50 PM
BANNED

Its looking like some wind is getting back in the sails.

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/opin...lly-get-relief

March 10, 2021 05:28 PM |

Restaurants finally get relief

The money earmarked in the Biden stimulus package addresses one of the most visible manifestations of the pandemic’s economic toll.

JOE NOCERA

Bloomberg Opinion

Fast-forward a few months. In the latest relief package, President Joe Biden’s $1.9 trillion stimulus bill, which will likely be signed into law by the end of the week, the airlines will receive an additional $15 billion, bringing their total to $81 billion. But guess what? This time, the restaurant industry got some help as well: $28.6 billion. It comes a year into the pandemic, after more than 110,000 restaurants have closed permanently, and it isn’t nearly as much as the industry hoped for. But it’s much better than nothing.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2021, 7:37 PM

Can someone please let me know if when they light up the skyline for Loyola? They did it last time with messages on CNA and Aon also. Need to get down there and take a pic of it.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 1:56 PM

City is going to spend 40 million rebating businesses that paid for a liquor license but didn't get to use it due to the pandemic. This will only equal out to like 300-900 dollars per business (or something like that) but anything at all helps. Hopefully, it is easy to access.

BTW, if you didn't go out biking Sunday or yesterday, YOU MISSED OUT!

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 5:58 PM

Hey Mr Downtown or others, do any of you know the history around Special Service Area 12 ("downtown circulator")? It still shows up on Cook County tax bills, but as far as my digging goes, it has never collected any revenue and the City of Chicago DPD does not list it as an active SSA. What's the deal with it?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Developer drops out of Uptown Theatre rehab (owner still plans on moving forward)

This just a month after the Congress Theatre rehabber pulled out (after years of effort).

Pardon me for not sharing your enthusiasm, Marothisu.....
I think it's easy to put a blanket statement on things. I also implore you to look at the similarities and differences between the projects and determine whether you are making an appeal to your own emotion or not.

It's like saying because 1000 S Michigan Ave was on hold, that all other high rises in the area going up would go too.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 6:57 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I think it's easy to put a blanket statement on things. I also implore you to look at the similarities and differences between the projects and determine whether you are making an appeal to your own emotion or not.

It's like saying because 1000 S Michigan Ave was on hold, that all other high rises in the area going up would go too.
I counter that you are being just as 'emotional' (or more so, actually) in your perpetual optimism against the face of reality.

Truth is, rehabs of old theatres are often painstaking, expensive, and very risky. It is appropriate to compare them because they often face the same daunting challenges. Yes, each project is different, but once again--they face the same hurdles.

I've obviously never done a theatre rehab, but I've done rehabs of regular apartment buildings (3, 5, 6 flats, etc) but at the very end I know that I'm just getting apartments and there will at least be SOME sort of market for my product.

Theatre rehabs are totally different, and that's why so many have been delayed/failed/developer gave up over the years.

1. VERY costly. These buildings are often quite ornamented and have unique layouts
2. Likely extremely difficult to finance due to #1 and #3
3. Limited market for an end product. You either need some sort of major production company to sign on to produce regular business at the facility or you have to find a well-financed risk-averse independent end user who has a shot of making such a venue profitable.

So yes, each project is different but, especially in the COVID/post-COVID era, they also share a LOT more in common than to simply claim that each theatre project is an apples to oranges comparison to the other.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Sounds more like they will probably be going for condos

Parking is dead space that costs money to build, and for apartment developers near transit 1:1 parking doesn't make much $$ sense. That's why my hunch tells me condos
Exactly. This is a 5 minute walk to the red line, so it's probably going to be marketed as either middle high end or luxury condos. Just a hunch too. It's interesting seeing what is happening in this area given some projects and the recently demolished City Sports to be replaced by a mid rise, with Double Door relocating next door to that, and another future mid rise in the parking lot next to that. Add in the new developments a little north at Lawrence.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Exactly. This is a 5 minute walk to the red line, so it's probably going to be marketed as either middle high end or luxury condos. Just a hunch too. It's interesting seeing what is happening in this area given some projects and the recently demolished City Sports to be replaced by a mid rise, with Double Door relocating next door to that, and another future mid rise in the parking lot next to that. Add in the new developments a little north at Lawrence.
Uptown’s been in the verge of exploding for years, it feels like. It’s surprising it didn’t pop sooner, IMO, considering it’s location, redline access, and nightlife.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 10:17 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
Uptown’s been in the verge of exploding for years, it feels like. It’s surprising it didn’t pop sooner, IMO, considering it’s location, redline access, and nightlife.
Illinois' Rent control preemption act repeal just got out of committee for the first time ever.

Hold your horses...... we may not see the "pop" happen after all

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Illinois' Rent control preemption act repeal just got out of committee for the first time ever.

Hold your horses...... we may not see the "pop" happen after all
Which one and what are the terms? Not all medium sized developments are rental. A lot are actually condo. Downtown area just has an over dilution of rental projects it seems

Old Posted Mar 25, 2021, 12:24 AM

Ah, well, two years of NASCAR rumors talking about how racing officials really want to host a street course in the Loop; here’s the first solid evidence. iRacing has been used to model and simulate courses before an actual race is run.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.aut...iracing-event/

Old Posted Mar 25, 2021, 12:28 AM

People talk like Uptown is such a rough neighborhood and I've never felt uncomfortable there. I'd say it's already a neighborhood at the "up" of "up and coming". It's just less of the big ten crowd and more alternative type. Increasingly gay too.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2021, 1:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
People talk like Uptown is such a rough neighborhood and I've never felt uncomfortable there. I'd say it's already a neighborhood at the "up" of "up and coming". It's just less of the big ten crowd and more alternative type. Increasingly gay too.
I never hear anyone talk about Uptown like it’s rough... maybe 15+ years ago? I felt no qualms about living there back in 2010-12 and it’s not like I’m some brave urban explorer. But for its location and potential density it’s pretty sleepy. A historic lakefront neighborhood with easy downtown access on the redline, dense prewar architecture, and relatively cheap rent seems like a pretty simple equation; i would have expected to see it become one of the more sought after neighborhoods than Logan Square, for instance. It always feels like Uptown is just... there. An afterthought. But it’s easily one of the most beautiful hoods in the city.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest