HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 17, 2021, 2:26 PM
More transit please

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post
Lol, the Ontario line will have to come in at breakneck speed to provide a little bit of relief.
I guess it will help in a decade or so but it kinda sucks that it's only connecting one way. People west of the Spadina west branch will still have to use Spadina:

What happened to SmartTrack?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2021, 4:54 PM
Volatile Pacivist

I can see the argument for treating Eglinton it like a subway since so much of it is underground, but I'm not convinced that Finch should be given the subway treatment with a consecutive number and heavy, uniquely coloured line. It's almost entirely surface running in a street median with only a couple short underground sections at the ends (like several streetcar routes) with stops tightly-spaced and in-street like streetcars. I think there should be a separate designation, something like "super streetcar" for upgraded streetcar services for it and King, Finch and St. Clair which have either separate ROW or other priority measures. Although maybe not Spadina or Harbourfront since their ROW doesn't seem to offer much speed advantage.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2021, 5:11 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
2020 Year-end Review of O-Train Stage 2 contraction available on O-Train Fans:

https://www.railfans.ca/forum/topic/...s#comment-3589

Stage 2 includes 44 kilometers of new rail service and 24 new stations (mostly converted from bus to rail).

Stage 2 south includes 16 kilometers of new rail and 8 new stations, including the airport link.

The new Walkley MSF in November 2020.

The future Corso Italia station.

Stage 2 east will see 12.5 kilometers of new rail, that's the same distance as Stage 1. 5 new stations will be built along that extension.

Stage 2 west will add 15 kilometers and 11 stations. By far the most technically challenging part of the project, it includes 3.5 kilometers of tunnels.

Slurry pits at the east-end of the Parkway-Byron tunnel.

Support of excavation work in Byron Linear Park (former streetcar RoW).

Lincoln Fields flyover, where the Moodie bound trains will branch off.

This seems like a huge amount of expansion - does this essentially double the size of the system ?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2021, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
This seems like a huge amount of expansion - does this essentially double the size of the system ?
Once Stage 2 is completed, the system will be more than 3 times the size, from 20.5 km to 64.5 km. Number of stations will more than double, from 17 to 41.

Extensions are expected to open:

South 2022
East 2024
West 2025

Video Link

Old Posted Jan 17, 2021, 5:58 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

^Wow - impressive!

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
A lot of discussion at this point about extending Line 5 to the Airport. I know there's been a lot of chatter about above-ground/below-ground routing and stations but can't recall if anything's been made official or pushed forward yet.

I doubt there would be much increase, Eglinton and Finch are both heavily used bus roots after all.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkahHigh View Post
I guess it will help in a decade or so but it kinda sucks that it's only connecting one way. People west of the Spadina west branch will still have to use Spadina:
That's why I preferred the DRL routing, which would eventually have created a complete second "U". I like that the OL has surface and elevated sections, and that it will likely use technologies more akin to REM/Skytrain, but the routing is all wrong, often replicating GO/GO RER and snaking around which ultimately will slow down travel times and create maintenance/operating issues.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 3:07 PM
sick transit, gloria

Cool to see the amount of progress on the Ottawa LRT! At some point in the future while visiting the in-laws I'll be able to walk to the train, take it all the way to Dominion City brewery in the East End (with some walking) and make stops downtown and in Hintonburg on the way back.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
Am I not seeing something? The flyover seems to be able to handle two sets of tracks but there is only one approach support structure?
I hadn't noticed until you pointed it out. Not sure how they will handle that part. Possibly a second set of piers?

The Confed extension will be double track the entire way. Triple tracked at Lincoln Fields station.

Map of complete track geometry available on O-Train Fans:

https://map.railfans.ca/#15.27/45.363391/-75.779051/-30

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
That's why I preferred the DRL routing, which would eventually have created a complete second "U". I like that the OL has surface and elevated sections, and that it will likely use technologies more akin to REM/Skytrain, but the routing is all wrong, often replicating GO/GO RER and snaking around which ultimately will slow down travel times and create maintenance/operating issues.
The relief is not required for the Spadina Line - the line runs well below capacity.

What is more needed is a subway connection to Humber Bay - which the OL is set up to provide in the future.

The OL is a far better project than the RL was. Much longer and serves a much larger area. The west end of downtown needs a rapid transit connection that the RL had absolutely no plans to provide in our lifetimes, and now the OL provides it in the first phase, as well as the connection to Eglinton in phase one.

The OL will be able to be extended very affordably in elevated sections, so I imagine it will be in fairly short order after the first phase. A run up to Sheppard could be 100% elevated and be done for probably only a couple billion - and there is space for a western extension to Humber Bay as an affordable elevated line as well.

The routing through central Toronto is a bit windy, I will give you that, but it cuts the cost of construction by a huge amount and provides for a wider range of connections to various destinations.

I'm very excited to ride the line on opening day.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 3:57 PM

For sure, great to see the OL serving far more than the RL ever would, even in its first phase. Connections not only to Bloor-Danforth, but to the Eglinton will provide much needed new service and relief to the Yonge Line.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 4:09 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
Cool to see the amount of progress on the Ottawa LRT! At some point in the future while visiting the in-laws I'll be able to walk to the train, take it all the way to Dominion City brewery in the East End (with some walking) and make stops downtown and in Hintonburg on the way back.
It's still a bit of a walk into the industrial park, and Dom City is pretty hidden away. Great beers, though.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 4:12 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
It's still a bit of a walk into the industrial park, and Dom City is pretty hidden away. Great beers, though.
Stray Dog Brewing Company in Orleans will likely be more accessible, near Trim Station.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 4:16 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Stray Dog Brewing Company in Orleans will likely be more accessible, near Trim Station.
And if I may, Brasseurs du Temps microbrewery in an old stone waterworks is accessible via the Montcalm Rapibus station in Hull.

Closer to my place, Brasserie du Bas-Canada is very close to the station at Les Promenades Gatineau. Try the Los Tabarnacos beer if you go there.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 4:18 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
They are in my top 5 in Ontario for sure. I get mail order from them once every few months, and get new releases from Thirsty and Miserable in Kensington fairly often.

I've taken the bus there before so the LRT will be a bit of an improvement. The walk is sometimes a good idea after a few strong hazy IPAs.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 4:19 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
And if I may, Brasseurs du Temps microbrewery in an old stone waterworks is accessible via the Montcalm Rapibus station in Hull.

Closer to my place, Brasserie du Bas-Canada is very close to the station at Les Promenades Gatineau. Try the Los Tabarnacos beer if you go there.

I've been wanting to try them for a while - heard nothing but good things! It's far too difficult to get Quebec beer in Ontario.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 4:20 PM

I'd love to see a future Spadina relief line take a similar diagonal route through DT as the OL; from Bloor GO, crossing downtown at Dundas, hitting East Harbour, and ending up in the Port Lands to support some East London style intensification. That won't be anything like necessary for a couple decades, but when East Harbour builds out and Smart Track is ramming Bloor and Union with passengers, it's going to be just that: necessary.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 4:21 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
They are in my top 5 in Ontario for sure. I get mail order from them once every few months, and get new releases from Thirsty and Miserable in Kensington fairly often.
Went to T&M a few weeks ago. Poor girl had to give me a potato to legally sell me beer through a window. A bit pricey but some of the selection is very good.

Quote:
I've taken the bus there before so the LRT will be a bit of an improvement. The walk is sometimes a good idea after a few strong hazy IPAs.
I've taken the bus down that way, too. Manageable in the summer but dreadful in the winter. I've no doubt LRT will be an improvement.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 4:37 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
I've been wanting to try them for a while - heard nothing but good things! It's far too difficult to get Quebec beer in Ontario.
I do like them myself.

I've been to their location near my place (which has some tables and serves food) a few times, but my usual watering hole is in Hull, and they have a rotating selection of Bas-Canada on tap.

Though they seem to be hard to get sometimes. Often the bar owner will say "sorry, no Bas-Canada this week". I suppose they are a fairly small-scale production. Some of their beers aren't always available either.

I've yet to see Bas-Canada in local supermarkets, though Brasseurs du Temps (BDT) from downtown (Vieux-Hull) are ubiquitous here now.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 8:33 PM

Progress on Churchill Connector between Valley Line surface LRT and Capital/Metro Line subway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
As promised, my continuation of Valley Line LRT construction pics.
These are mainly construction pics of the Churchill Connector.

Churchill Connector from inside the LRT station

A peek behind the walls

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada