HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Jul 1, 2022, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post
I shudder to think what the customs hall is looking like these days.
I think it ultimately always just comes down to flight schedules. If you have a few 787-9s or A350s land at the same time, well then customs is going to be a long long line. However, if you land and you are the only international flight for an hour or two, then I suspect it won't be too bad.

When I flew back from Spain the day before Thanksgiving last year, I encountered very little in the way of customs, but there were also no other major flights landing at that time. Same goes for when you are going through security for a flight. If you have enough flights clustered close together, then the limited security points they currently have make security a nightmare. My flight in May out of Southwest was like this, and I had to wait nearly an hour in security.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2022, 2:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
I think it ultimately always just comes down to flight schedules. If you have a few 787-9s or A350s land at the same time, well then customs is going to be a long long line. However, if you land and you are the only international flight for an hour or two, then I suspect it won't be too bad.

When I flew back from Spain the day before Thanksgiving last year, I encountered very little in the way of customs, but there were also no other major flights landing at that time. Same goes for when you are going through security for a flight. If you have enough flights clustered close together, then the limited security points they currently have make security a nightmare. My flight in May out of Southwest was like this, and I had to wait nearly an hour in security.
I just flew in from Milan on Tuesday and customs wasn’t bad at all with Global Entry. Those who didn’t have it probably had to wait a little while.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoguy View Post
I just flew in from Milan on Tuesday and customs wasn’t bad at all with Global Entry. Those who didn’t have it probably had to wait a little while.
Was the international baggage arrival area all torn up? When I flew back from London this past February the international baggage arrival area was all torn up due to the construction. It was pretty bleak and an exceptionally poor "welcome" to Chicago. Understand they are actively improving it but hope that completion is sooner than later.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmith318 View Post
Was the international baggage arrival area all torn up? When I flew back from London this past February the international baggage arrival area was all torn up due to the construction. It was pretty bleak and an exceptionally poor "welcome" to Chicago. Understand they are actively improving it but hope that completion is sooner than later.
I didn’t see any major construction projects. But I got through pretty quickly with Global Entry so I didn’t stick around long to look around after my long flight.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2022, 5:22 PM

T5 Lounges

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesrmj View Post
Once the Terminal 5 expansion completes in a few months, there will be a second A380 capable gate so it would definitely be possible for another airline to bring the A380 to ORD when that happens.

The thing to remember is that Oneworld and Star Alliance airlines will relocate to the Global Terminal when that completes later this decade, so those airlines would likely wait to open new lounges in the Global Terminal when it's completed.

As far as Skyteam and non-affiliated carriers go, haven't herd of any plans for new lounges aside from the new Delta Skyclub, so we'll just have to wait and see.

I could definitely see Emirates build a lounge at ORD. They have lounges at most of the US airports they serve including JFK, BOS, SFO, and LAX. Perhaps they will build one by the second A380 gate when the T5 expansion completes.
With the opening of the expanded T5 approaching, I am surprised there is no news on any new lounges or renovations. I know the need for more lounge space in T5 was one of the reasons for the expansion along with gates, new bagging handling, etc. The only thing I have read was a new Delta Club opening in T5 when they move there. Any information is appreciated. Thanks

Old Posted Jul 13, 2022, 7:47 PM

Air Serbia will be launching BEG-ORD in spring 2023 with Airbus A330 aircraft. They only serve JFK in North America.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2022, 1:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1 Tommy View Post
Air Serbia will be launching BEG-ORD in spring 2023 with Airbus A330 aircraft. They only serve JFK in North America.
It is always exciting to hear about new international routes out of Chicago!

More info regarding Air Serbia’s ORD announcement here: https://simpleflying.com/air-serbia-...twork-chicago/

Old Posted Aug 3, 2022, 11:48 PM

O'Hare really booming this year. Flight up 22% almost the same number of flights as Hartford to date.

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/greg...g-jump-flights

Old Posted Aug 4, 2022, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
O'Hare really booming this year. Flight up 22% almost the same number of flights as Hartford to date.

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/greg...g-jump-flights

That's good but all the key southern US hubs are doing better. Sounds like that article rating ORD as one of the best airports in the US. Let's face it, most of the domestic terminals are a dump and need to be replaced or renovated ASAP. The T5 upgrades and the T1 window/upgrades are also good along with the new L-side gates.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2022, 1:48 AM

T5 needs to get worked out FAST. Just came in and had to walk forever from the far end then was in customs line for an hour. For O'Hare to be successful it needs to make this way more seamless. I can't imagine anyone having a connecting flight and having to budget for that.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2022, 3:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1 Tommy View Post
That's good but all the key southern US hubs are doing better. Sounds like that article rating ORD as one of the best airports in the US. Let's face it, most of the domestic terminals are a dump and need to be replaced or renovated ASAP. The T5 upgrades and the T1 window/upgrades are also good along with the new L-side gates.
What do you mean that "key southern hubs are doing better"? No airport in the world had more operations than O'hare this June. And O'hare is up 22% to almost tie AT for first place for the whole year, while ATL and DFW are up 5%.

O'hare needs to be improved a lot to be clearly be the most significant U.S. airport instead of one of the most significant. But by the end of the decade it will be.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2022, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrdoSeclorum View Post
What do you mean that "key southern hubs are doing better"? No airport in the world had more operations than O'hare this June. And O'hare is up 22% to almost tie AT for first place for the whole year, while ATL and DFW are up 5%.

O'hare needs to be improved a lot to be clearly be the most significant U.S. airport instead of one of the most significant. But by the end of the decade it will be.
2020 and 2021 are irrelevant for ORD and the rest of the country for domestic PASSENGER TRAFFIC. If you compare pre covid 19 numbers to this year the southern hubs are closer to their 2019 numbers than ORD, that's why ticket prices are higher at ORD now. I don't know if you watch seat numbers but mainline passenger seats are nowhere near 2019 levels at ORD. They are closer at ATL and DFW. Even DEN is high as they are the largest UA hub still.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2022, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Sky21 View Post
T5 needs to get worked out FAST. Just came in and had to walk forever from the far end then was in customs line for an hour. For O'Hare to be successful it needs to make this way more seamless. I can't imagine anyone having a connecting flight and having to budget for that.
I've spent an hour (or more) waiting to clear immigration in numerous European airports. I would not schedule a connection any less than 2 hours after arrival and even that would really be pushing it at some places.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2022, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Sky21 View Post
Two words - Global Entry.

I know you can still be slowed down, but at O'Hare it has always been waiting for the carousel to start delivering bags.

Our time in Heathrow this past May was easily an hour between walking from the gate to Immigration and then waiting in line.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2022, 10:48 PM

A couple pieces of decent news on the O'Hare front. Nothing crazy exciting, but happy to see the financial front looking stable.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...t-airport-deal

Quote:
The $1.8 billion deal will both refinance existing debt and fund $1.1 billion of new capital investments as the city embarks on its O’Hare 21 project, which encompasses runway extensions, the expansion of Terminal 5, and the terminal area plan, which includes construction of two satellite concourses as well as a revamped global hub that doubles the size of Terminal 2.

Another $1.5 billion sale in about a year’s time is in the works, said Bennett. She anticipates annual issuance to the tune of $1 billion as the airport completes its terminal area plan over the next decade.
http://www.lawndalenews.com/2022/09/...ional-airport/

Quote:
The $1 billion redevelopment of Terminal 5 is nearing completion. Ten new gates will open in phases at Terminal 5 and a grand opening is planned for later this year, creating about 25% of the total expected capacity expansion of the airport capital plan. This major component of the capital plan nearing completion lowers risk for the airport overall.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 11:11 PM

Qantas Expands The Pool Of Potential Project Sunrise Destinations

Once all announced non-stop services have begun, Qantas will connect London to Sydney and Melbourne. It will also connect these two Australian cities to Paris and Frankfurt. It will connect Sydney to Dallas, New York, Miami, and Chicago. New York, Chicago, and Miami will also be connected to Melbourne. Miami and Chicago were the two most recent additions to Project Sunrise's list. The existing London to Perth route will continue operations, while a separate route will soon connect Perth to Rome.

https://simpleflying.com/qantas-expa...nrise-network/

Old Posted Sep 9, 2022, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoguy View Post
Qantas Expands The Pool Of Potential Project Sunrise Destinations

Once all announced non-stop services have begun, Qantas will connect London to Sydney and Melbourne. It will also connect these two Australian cities to Paris and Frankfurt. It will connect Sydney to Dallas, New York, Miami, and Chicago. New York, Chicago, and Miami will also be connected to Melbourne. Miami and Chicago were the two most recent additions to Project Sunrise's list. The existing London to Perth route will continue operations, while a separate route will soon connect Perth to Rome.

https://simpleflying.com/qantas-expa...nrise-network/
This is awesome! Australia is on my bucket list to visit, and now I have an excuse to go there direct. They have a video of what the first class cabins will look like... Probably should start saving now....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c504mnty-Tc

Old Posted Sep 15, 2022, 9:18 PM
You had me at herro...

Flew into terminal 5 from Milan yesterday, it was crazy. Walked right into the customs area, not a single person waiting, strolled right through in 30 seconds and then walked over and our bags were right there in front of us. From when we walked off the plane until we got on the people mover and over to the CTA station was less than 10 minutes.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2022, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayorOfChicago View Post
Flew into terminal 5 from Milan yesterday, it was crazy. Walked right into the customs area, not a single person waiting, strolled right through in 30 seconds and then walked over and our bags were right there in front of us. From when we walked off the plane until we got on the people mover and over to the CTA station was less than 10 minutes.
That sounds like heaven! In an ideal world, this is what it should be like lol

Old Posted Sep 15, 2022, 11:16 PM
Rust Belt Motherland

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayorOfChicago View Post
That's funny because I flew in yesterday too and it was relatively quick except the bags kept getting stuck in the conveyor and at one point one bag even completely ripped open. It was a strange shit show. After that we exited relatively quickly. I hope that whole baggage claim area is going to get renovated with the T5 updates. It needs it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation