HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
I've heard from people within the city that they think the Lennar project is dead, or at the very least dying. It doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

There was once a gas station there, so there will have to be some remediation done at some point.
That should take too long if they really want to build. IM surprised that they aren't moving forward Rentals are pretty much a guaranteed success in Phoenix these days.

Old Posted May 8, 2015, 12:17 AM

Quote:
I've heard from people within the city that they think the Lennar project is dead, or at the very least dying. It doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

There was once a gas station there, so there will have to be some remediation done at some point.
This goes along with what i saw...

Old Posted May 8, 2015, 7:39 PM

Interesting PBJ piece by Mike Sunnucks about the well-known site at 44th Street and Palm Lane where a Quik Trip was once proposed. Townhomes or apartments; which will it be?

Old Posted May 8, 2015, 9:04 PM
METRO: Encanto

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Interesting PBJ piece by Mike Sunnucks about the well-known site at 44th Street and Palm Lane where a Quik Trip was once proposed. Townhomes or apartments; which will it be?
Either one would be better land use than the QT. Townhomes would probably be better for the neighborhood.

Old Posted May 8, 2015, 10:28 PM
Skyriser

I'd be happy if the Lennar project is dead. Such a waste of space on a prime intersection.

Old Posted May 9, 2015, 2:49 AM

proxy 333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
You rang? Haha, I can't pass up a chance to rave about my favorite project! It's on the corner of 4th Street/McKinley and is called Proxy 333. For anyone with a similar obsession for this project, here is a link to the webcam:
http://ueb.net/webcam9.html

Indeed, it is moving very fast, which is great because it's going to have a huge impact on that neighborhood. From Roosevelt - Fillmore along 4th Street, there will be a nearly continuous wall of residential on the west side, creating one of the densest, most urban neighborhoods downtown (The Met, St. Croix, and 215 McKinley are also nearby or adjacent). There's just the lot adjacent to Proxy on the corner of 4th/Pierce that will be empty. It's also extending commercial activity south of Roosevelt by connecting the currently random pockets of retail with live/work units on the ground level along 4th Street (6 spaces) and McKinley (4 spaces).

4th Street is going to be great. Skyline Lofts' retail is starting to fill in and the block between Roosevelt and Garfield already has Bliss and The Allery, and supposedly there are already plans for the transplanted 314 Roosevelt home. That actually only leaves 3 vacancies: the small building next to The Allery, and the 2 spaces along the Roosevelt Point garage.

How cool is this view? http://ueb.net/projects/G16/G16.html ; if only the new owners of The Arizona Center would get a clue and add apartments on 4th St/Fillmore as part of a larger redevelopment plan, along with an actual entrance into the Center on the north side. The south side of Fillmore is so... Phoenix. This huge market of potential consumers and pedestrians is separated from the center of downtown by: huge Biomedical Campus garage, huge Arizona Center garage, Arizona Center parking lot, massive blank walls of the AMC fortress.
wow is that right next to Roosevelt point? Used to follow site daily got discouraged with lack of momentum and all projects! jeez with this Portland and Union things are flying

Old Posted May 9, 2015, 2:50 AM

proxy 333

what page is there more details on missed this somehow?

Old Posted May 9, 2015, 2:59 AM

They moved a lot of dirt this week at 4th and McKinley maybe for the apartments the guy mentioned earlier. Also now both apartment lots at 3rd and Roosevelt are fenced off and graded, as well as a big hole at Union, things are about to be very different downtown.

Old Posted May 9, 2015, 9:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
They moved a lot of dirt this week at 4th and McKinley maybe for the apartments the guy mentioned earlier. Also now both apartment lots at 3rd and Roosevelt are fenced off and graded, as well as a big hole at Union, things are about to be very different downtown.
Wait, the south side of Roosevelt? Definitely one of my most hated vacant lots. Would be huge if they already started going on it! Great time to live in Phoenix.

Old Posted May 10, 2015, 10:59 PM

Phoenix Central Station

Does anybody have any info on the status of Phoenix Central Station proposal? The Smithfield website is quite underwhelming. Thanks.

Old Posted May 11, 2015, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edifice View Post
Does anybody have any info on the status of Phoenix Central Station proposal? The Smithfield website is quite underwhelming. Thanks.
Rumored to break ground in late summer.

Feel like we need to hear updated specifics before I'll get too excited.

Old Posted May 11, 2015, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Tell me more, my office is on that corner and I haven't seen any sign of apartment construction.
I don't know any more details beyond the fact that 50 units are being proposed; definitely not at the point of construction starting - they were scheduled for a site review a couple of weeks ago, but that was cancelled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempeAZNative
I would love to see an extension of cityscape on the parking lot between Colliers Center and Cityscape connecting the 2. This would help bring new merchants to the mostly empty Colliers Center, and could really make it a better entertainment district/sport district. They could add 2 more towers on the empty lot like the Palomar, and actually get a hotel built on the lot on Jefferson and 3 st that was suppose to be a hotel but never started. I world be a good place for a City Target or a badly needed grocery store like a mini Fry's.
Using the last CityScape lot to connect the current CityScape with Colliers Center sounds great in theory, the design of both existing developments really inhibits a continuous, connected set of projects. The level changes on the Palomar block cuts off the retail-heavy west side of CityScape, and Colliers' 2nd Street frontage is awful - all of the retail is hidden and setback behind the staircase/escalator. In the end, it will end up just like CityScape and Luhrs - two mixed use projects that are entirely disconnected in spite of being adjacent to each other.

I also think this would be a horrible site for either a CityTarget or grocery store. CityTarget needs to be built in a dense residential area where there is potential for other large retailers. Jefferson/2nd Street is pretty much on the opposite end of downtown from where the bulk of residential development exists or grow, and a CityTarget couldn't succeed on its own regardless and downtown just hasn't been an attractive market for major retail stores. As I mentioned, Midtown is perfect. There is already several midrise residential buildings along Central, and it is easily accessed by dense, fairly wealthy adjacent neighborhoods. There is also enough empty land and redevelopment opportunities for large retailers (AND the parking that these stores will demand, even in the center of the city) to cluster - and Midtown might be more attractive given its proximity to wealthier neighborhoods.

As far as a grocery store, again - this needs to be built in a more residential section. I think the old Circles building is an ideal space given all of the proposed residential along Roosevelt Row, the established neighborhoods to the northwest, and the potential for huge growth to the southwest (where the major RFP was just issued for).

Old Posted May 11, 2015, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
I love the live webcam. Now the two empty lots on the west side of 4th need to get developed. That could become a really dense residential area in the near future.
I assume you mean the east side? If so, those are unfortunately all being land-banked by the City for future Biomedical Campus buildings. It sucks that a neighborhood exploding with investment in residential and retail/reuse is essentially land-locked by lots that will remain empty for the forseeable future. It also makes the design of the campus even more frustrating; as the campus moves south, the plans should have called for buildings and uses that integrated into the growing arts/residential neighborhood. Making the projects mixed use with retail that is appropriate/useful for the medical district as well as nearby residents would be great (pharmacies, health clinics, etc.). Incoporating housing within the campus would have also been smart and sustainable. The current plan/trend of mono-use fortresses is a waste of the momentum that has been achieved as a result of Roosevelt Row.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11
I agree with you. It wasn't terrible, I'd take it, but maybe something better will come now that things are heating up in downtown and midtown.

I believe it was a Lennar community though. They are legit, so if they actually completed the purchase of the land it will likely happen (or they'll bank it until they are ready to pull the trigger).
Oh, no, it definitely was terrible. A sprawling, 4-story megablock with a large parking lot fronting Central is pretty close to a worst-case scenario for that site.

Old Posted May 11, 2015, 7:46 AM

HooverDam mentioned a project that will occupy all of the land between Thomas and Catalina, 2nd and 3rd Streets with the exception of the Judd house along Catalina. It sounded like this project was assumed to be the residential project targeted toward adults with autism. But, it looks like that project is actually occupying a different corner as the site described above is for Wood's newest Alta project: Alta Thomas & 3rd; 4-stories with 3-story 'carriage houses' (apartments over detached garages) in a gated setting.

I can't believe the same team behind what's now Skyline Lofts is turning out such crap projects like this and Alta Fillmore (to say nothing of the Alta Roosevelt scare). Gated communities and free-standing garages/"carriage houses" have no place downtown or midtown, especially as close to a light rail stop as Alta Thomas & 3rd is. Also, while Skyline's retail component has struggled, its live/work spaces have been consistently occupied. With its close proximity to Central, and a light rail stop, Thomas & 3rd would've been a great location for some live/work units which are especially rare in Midtown. I don't understand why leasing offices and fitness centers pass for retail in these situations; they aren't accessible, public spaces, and so the project is still one massive mega-block that offers no interaction with pedestrians.

Midtown needs to essentially be retrofitted through new development/redevelopment in order to become more walkable and a truly urban district. Projects like this in prime locations are a barrier to accomplishing that type of neighborhood, and will keep Midtown as an auto-dominant suburb with an urban veneer.

Full project plan can be found here: https://www.phoenix.gov/pddsite/Documents/Z-9-15n.pdf

Old Posted May 11, 2015, 4:05 PM

does anyone know if the ground floor work at Westward Ho is for anything cool? also why are there always so many fire trucks there?

Old Posted May 11, 2015, 5:02 PM

We're still Top Ten with the CEO crowd
so says Chief Executive

Old Posted May 11, 2015, 5:05 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
does anyone know if the ground floor work at Westward Ho is for anything cool? also why are there always so many fire trucks there?
Not sure about the fire trucks, but ASU is moving a clinic in there. More here:

https://asunews.asu.edu/20150504-asu-westward-ho-clinic

Old Posted May 11, 2015, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Not sure about the fire trucks, but ASU is moving a clinic in there. More here:

https://asunews.asu.edu/20150504-asu-westward-ho-clinic
Isn't it an assisted living facility? That would probably explain the paramedics frequent visits.

Old Posted May 11, 2015, 10:28 PM
Modulator

Portland

Construction is rocking at Portland! As I thought, tower crane base is in place. We should see another tower crane in the sky very soon!

Old Posted May 11, 2015, 10:28 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
Isn't it an assisted living facility? That would probably explain the paramedics frequent visits.
The apartments there are a combo of Section 8 and low-income funded assisted-living apartments. When an elderly person falls ill, they will generally call 911 and fire trucks are always dispatched. Considering there are nearly 400 older people there, I would expect to see fire trucks quite often. Sad, but a fact of life, I guess.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest