HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 8:13 PM

It’s kind of nuts that the state legislature turned from “let’s build point of the mountain” to “let’s completely rebuild downtown slc” on a dime. The church has to be majorly involved. I say that as a practicing lds guy. I don’t think I’m being conspiratorial.

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:06 AM
high-floor train enjoyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Downtown photos taken with 300mm lens from Sandy, ~10.5 miles away.

Every time someone here posts a photo of the skyline we look more like a real city. Probably just delusion on my end though.

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:20 AM
Ironweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebula3lem123 View Post
Every time someone here posts a photo of the skyline we look more like a real city. Probably just delusion on my end though.
It surprisingly has a small pyramid or dome ascetic from this angle.

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post
What are your thoughts on the Utah Wollen Mills Building circus?

https://www.fox13now.com/news/local-...fter-119-years

Evidently, the business is getting evicted because of a "landlord dispute." Which I thought was weird, because I thought UWM owned their building after the buyout in the 1970s for Crossroads Plaza. And also why the building wasn't demolished as part of the City Creek Mall project.

https://www.ksl.com/article/50974159...o-be-torn-down

But now, the KSL article says the UWM building was damaged in the 2020 Magna quake and the building's owner Property Reserve Inc. (the LDS church) is demolishing the building and kicking them out.

How did PRI end up owning the building?

And (putting a tin-foil hat on my head)... have they found the UWM building an annoyance (that they didn't sell out for the mall) and are using this an excuse to win a petty fight? (/tin foil hat)
The church has always owned it – Zions Securities had it built back in 1957 as an addition to the Beneficial Life Building (originally, the Vermont Building). I think the Vermont Building bit the dust when Crossroads was constructed.

Here's a special Deseret News section from back when it opened:
https://books.google.com/books?id=IE...page&q&f=false

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:42 AM
They all float down here

Same-ish view from 20 years ago:

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebula3lem123 View Post
I don’t understand what makes it not be a real city. Salt lake is impressive. No, it’s not a large city…but it holds its own.

I’m impressed with how Salt Lake is coming along, especially now that I’ve lived and experienced other cities.

Also…I would give anything for light rail…edit…anything for light rail in Florida

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:48 AM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPdesign View Post
I don’t understand what makes it not be a real city. Salt lake is impressive. No, it’s not a large city…but it holds its own.

I’m impressed with how Salt Lake is coming along, especially now that I’ve lived and experienced other cities.

Also…I would give anything for light rail…edit…anything for light rail in Florida
I think they probably mean real skyline more than city.

No question, Salt Lake's skyline is awkward. Some of it is the buildings but a lot is just how it developed. I don't think it's particularly visually and aesthetically appealing like, say, Tampa's skyline:

I find that a decently visually appealing medium-sized skyline.

There's building diversity and height diversity and yet doesn't have a massive tower (so, very similar to Salt Lake). Their tallest is 579 feet. They also haven't had any recent taller towers built in the city.

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:11 AM

Real cities have better transit/infrastructure, taller buildings with more impressive architecture, more culture, greater diversity of people, greater diversity of recreation, nightlife that goes passed 1am, and grit. I could go on and on. There’s still a lot to like about this place, though.

About those skyline pics..

I wish the time gap between those photos was closer to 10 years and not 20.

While changes to the skyline are obvious to people like us.. to the average visitor, even the average resident, SLC doesn’t look any different than it did in 2004. If tomorrow every development completed in the last 20 years vanished from the skyline, I don’t think most people in the valley would ever notice.

I thought Astra would have a greater impact on the skyline, but it really kinda just blends in. We now have two towers taller than the COB that don’t look it lol.

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
I think they probably mean real skyline more than city.

No question, Salt Lake's skyline is awkward. Some of it is the buildings but a lot is just how it developed. I don't think it's particularly visually and aesthetically appealing.
It would be interesting to see our skyline with the exact same buildings, but have them standing in different spots to create a better shape.

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paniolo Man View Post
Seems awfully convenient that this historic building was damaged beyond repair 4 years ago and they've just decided on that now.

I want details about the damage, I don't buy it.

Plenty of other sites for towers.
Wasn't this building built in 1957? It certainly looks like it. If it is a renovation of an old building (seems to be conflicting posts about that in here, unless I'm misunderstanding which buildings are being talked about), then it's been long-since gutted of any historic value. It's incredibly ugly. Yes there are lots of places for more height, but not all of them are candidates for redevelopment.

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:34 PM

I'm all for the redevelopment of that site. There are any number of options that would be far more attractive than what's there now. With the LDS Church involved, whatever will be built should be high quality and reasonably attractive. Any good guesses as to what might be going up?

I like the look of Salt Lake's skyline, especially from particular vantage points. The rub is that as someone correctly pointed out recently, "they would all be so much better looking if they were a lot taller." That's true, but imagine if in this pic The WTC, Westgate, 99 West, The Regent, Chase, 222, as well as adding in Hyatt, Astra, and Wells Fargo and they were all twice as tall. Maybe we should play a longer game here, that really is now much shorter than past history would suggest. Salt Lake is now on the cusp of some dramatic moves that I predict will involve breaking the glass ceiling heights on the skyline. Salt Lake's development timelines have shortened significantly over the past 20-plus years, even during some pretty rough economic times nationally. The upcoming Olympics and its runup of the next ten years will focus a great deal of attention on downtown. Salt Lake City and its greater Metro are already receiving an ever-growing, endless parade of praise from national and international publications and talking heads. The first Olympics helped to expose a huge audience nationally and internationally to the Wasatch Front's and greater Utah's stunning scenery and accessibility. The day will come soon when we'll look at the 300' and 400-footers as an attractive street-level presence complementing the 500'-700' new tallest's.

Who wants to take on an update of this once very popular photo? No doubt TRAX must be included, climbing the bench along with the current skyline in the background. Actually, this was the second generation of the original, which had some very cool special photo-shopping effects added to it. Comrade or anyone who might have a copy of that original please post it.
Meanwhile, it would be so cool if on one of Salt Lake's glorious bluebird springtime days someone anyone would update this pic. Paniolo Man, I know you're tempted, but perhaps we should give you a break for once. J/K, have at it!

Photo provided by Wikipedia Commons

Last edited by delts145; Yesterday at 3:03 PM.

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPdesign View Post

Miami has an above ground people mover, it’s pretty nice actually. I take it you’re not in that part of Florida?

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Miami has an above ground people mover, it’s pretty nice actually. I take it you’re not in that part of Florida?
You’re right about Miami. I forget their transit system down there.

Also…you all make some valid points. I guess I just like rooting for my beautiful, smoggy, bland, but trying, city by a lake.

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:25 PM

Having a water body next to a major city (ocean, lake, river) is often critical to making a downtown look nicer and more impressive than it actually is in photos. SL doesn't have that, so downtown looks subconsciously 'dry' by comparison, since us humans are naturally drawn to water.

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Amazing View Post
Having a water body next to a major city (ocean, lake, river) is often critical to making a downtown look nicer and more impressive than it actually is in photos. SL doesn't have that, so downtown looks subconsciously 'dry' by comparison, since us humans are naturally drawn to water.
A lot are, but many are not. Denver, Phoenix, Vegas, Atlanta, Houston (sort of), Dallas, Los Angeles. It doesn't have to be by water. I actually prefer mountains myself, water and mountains are the best (Vancouver, BC is one of my favorites) but I'd take mountains over water personally.

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:32 PM
Space Magi

I will try to get some good SLC shots in the coming weeks, delts! That view that you posted is my favorite angle of the SLC skyline, despite the lack of mountains.

I am hoping to replace the SLC skyline shot from 2011 on the SLC wikipedia with something up-to-date.

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:25 PM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Amazing View Post
Eh. I still think this looks more aesthetically appealing than Salt Lake's skyline (which also has the added benefit of mountains):

Though, a lot of it is just due to two towers, which I like:

100 North Tampa

Truist Place

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West