HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted May 4, 2021, 1:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
Basically the entire Sunset/Outer Sunset District feels way under-scaled, to me. Most of the buildings are fairly plain, two story structures, and the whole area seems like it could handle quite a bit more density. Even if you primarily focused on the commercial corridors, you could add quite a bit of new housing. In a land constrained city like SF, you can't devote an entire quadrant to neighborhoods that look like this:

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.7546...7i16384!8i8192

It's structurally dense and looks impressive from an aerial, but on the ground it's underwhelming and almost suburban. SF should upzone this area and let it evolve into something modern and more substantial than what it is.

I know that area is famously foggy and cold, and not super desirable, but surely new housing there would be absorbed quickly nonetheless. Hell of a lot better to live in the foggy Sunset than out in Valejo or something.
They should do this because it "feels" under-scaled to you? The people who live and own the property there evidently like it the way it is and will not be catering to your tastes. Sorry about that. They will also quite rightly fight any effort to impose someone else's preferred lifestyle or goals on them. Politicians who oppose them do so at their peril and that's as it should be. People have a right to be left alone. One more time: San Francisco has no shortage of places to build mid- and high-rise multifamily housing and does not need to disrupt these peoples' way of life.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions