HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 3, 2021, 4:17 PM

Wilmington - Riverside neighborhood

Interesting article - massive re-development project planned for a long drug and crime plagued neighborhood of Wilmington - Riverside. Growing up in Wilmington, I was told to avoid Riverside always (along with Southbridge, and Hilltop). The neighborhood mostly consists of 2-story public housing units, many of which became boarded up.
Glad to see the investment, the suburban style revitalization plans in cities never seem to go as planned though. Here's hoping.
https://delawarebusinesstimes.com/ne...breaks-ground/

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawnadelphia View Post
Interesting article - massive re-development project planned for a long drug and crime plagued neighborhood of Wilmington - Riverside. Growing up in Wilmington, I was told to avoid Riverside always (along with Southbridge, and Hilltop). The neighborhood mostly consists of 2-story public housing units, many of which became boarded up.
Glad to see the investment, the suburban style revitalization plans in cities never seem to go as planned though. Here's hoping.
https://delawarebusinesstimes.com/ne...breaks-ground/
Improved housing conditions for some will be welcomed. But I’m not confident that kind of development will revitalize anything in that part of town.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Don't visit this thread often and not from the Philly area, but there is one universal explanation for why retail spaces go vacant for long periods of time: The rent is too damn high. I do not believe for a second there are not businesses looking for space, even in the middle of a pandemic. They're just looking for space they can afford.
Absolutely. Everyone is crying about how NYC has gotten decimated and there is widespread vacancy across the city. It's not demand entirely. Its wanton greed that these landlords display. They've gotten away with shameful rent levels forever. And now that there is some economic pressures, they refuse to adjust and cry poverty. They'd rather sit vacant than to reduce their profits.

Disgusting.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 8:20 PM

Philadelphia 2020

Hey ya'll! Happy New Year! Enjoy this photo thread in the link below - it's a recap of all of the photos I took throughout 2020 in Philadelphia and surrounds.

Link:
https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=245320

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 8:49 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Don't visit this thread often and not from the Philly area, but there is one universal explanation for why retail spaces go vacant for long periods of time: The rent is too damn high. I do not believe for a second there are not businesses looking for space, even in the middle of a pandemic. They're just looking for space they can afford.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Absolutely. Everyone is crying about how NYC has gotten decimated and there is widespread vacancy across the city. It's not demand entirely. Its wanton greed that these landlords display. They've gotten away with shameful rent levels forever. And now that there is some economic pressures, they refuse to adjust and cry poverty. They'd rather sit vacant than to reduce their profits.

Disgusting.
Yup, Walnut Street is another example of what should be a thriving retail corridor ruined by high rents.

Ardmore will likely bounce back quickly, its a super desirable affluent area and Suburban Square has improved quite a bit, but Walnut, Fifth Avenue and other high streets may struggle for a while due to the previous issues we discussed, the slow death of brick and mortar and now Covid.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2021, 7:14 PM

Plan for hotel scaled back at SORA West in Conshohocken. Name and brand confirmed

Quote:
The focus of this project is the construction of the site’s 128-key hotel – the West & Main, part of the Hilton Tapestry Collection. West & Main will include 3,422 SF of dedicated meeting space; a 1080 SF lobby lounge; and 1,363 SF of indoor dining on the 2nd floor of a renovated historic firehouse. A 2nd floor connection point between the hotel and firehouse will provide an indoor/outdoor experience. The indoor portion will be approximately 1,294 SF, with an outdoor terrace of 639 SF.
Read/view more here:
https://morethanthecurve.com/plan-fo...and-confirmed/

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 9:40 PM

Moorestown Mall to get a hotel and 1,065 apartments, PREIT says

Quote:
The Moorestown Mall in Burlington County, NJ soon will have hundreds of apartments and a new hotel, part of a push to integrate residential living and travel accommodations into the mall portfolio.

The mall's owner, Pennsylvania Real Estate Investment Trust, said the strategic development plans are an effort to diversity the mix of uses at its 21 malls. The company aims to deliver between 5,000 and 7,000 apartment units and several hotel sites across its properties in the coming years.

PREIT will build 1,065 apartments at the Moorestown Mall, beginning with an initial phase of 375 residential units and a hotel.
Read/view more here:
https://www.phillyvoice.com/mooresto...ltr4NyFjUFjqhE

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 9:23 PM

Willow Grove Park mall too

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Moorestown Mall to get a hotel and 1,065 apartments, PREIT says

Read/view more here:
https://www.phillyvoice.com/mooresto...ltr4NyFjUFjqhE
Makes total sense. Area malls have gargantuan parking lots, so infilling with housing is smart for them and for the region.

Apparently PREIT is also preparing to do this at the Willow Grove mall, which would be a big transit-oriented development move considering its location less than a quarter mile (I.e. very walkable) to the Willow Grove regional rail station. Desperately trying to find more information on it, but can only find a low-quality render via neighborhood group opposed to the development.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 7:27 PM

New proposed 5 story 100 unit apartment building in Norristown near the transportation center. I could not find much info outside of the instagram page. Nice to see development make its way north from Conshy

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKRVibBrPLj/

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 7:54 PM

^^I hope they can improve the design, but Norristown could definitely use a shot in the arm.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 5:38 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish View Post
New proposed 5 story 100 unit apartment building in Norristown near the transportation center. I could not find much info outside of the instagram page. Nice to see development make its way north from Conshy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
^^I hope they can improve the design, but Norristown could definitely use a shot in the arm.
It's nice to see but the crime needs to be addressed and it's an absolute mess. I plan on moving out of the borough in a few months, as I am so tired of it (I am regularly personally affected by it and hung on for as long as I could but I have reached my fill and do not see this place going anywhere for a long time).

It's a shame, a lot of potential and I know some of it are huge issues to tackle and will take time but yikes.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 7:24 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
It's nice to see but the crime needs to be addressed and it's an absolute mess. I plan on moving out of the borough in a few months, as I am so tired of it (I am regularly personally affected by it and hung on for as long as I could but I have reached my fill and do not see this place going anywhere for a long time).

It's a shame, a lot of potential and I know some of it are huge issues to tackle and will take time but yikes.
What type of crime in happening in the borough? Property, violent? Honestly curious, since the surrounding communities are relatively safe to quite safe.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
What type of crime in happening in the borough? Property, violent? Honestly curious, since the surrounding communities are relatively safe to quite safe.
Smattering of homicides, youngins doing stupid shit like breaking car windows and stupid shit like that. Illegals drunk driving and smashing up people's cars then peeling away. Robberies happen a good bit. If someone asks you what time it is late night keep it moving or flash your piece. The streets are poorly lit so it makes it easy to run up on people. Really easy to get all kinds of drugs, but surprisingly not much drug shootings.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 1:03 AM

Quote:

Do you mind me asking which neighborhood of Norristown you are living in?

I will say that no area has been immune to the effects of covid/recession. Many folks are really struggling and unfortunately that tends to lead to more crime. I was at Norristown TC last week for the first time in at least 3 or 4 months and there has always been homeless people living there but the entire station was full as in at least 30 or more people in there. I am sorry to hear that it finally has been enough to force you to leave.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2021, 4:04 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Do you mind me asking which neighborhood of Norristown you are living in?

I will say that no area has been immune to the effects of covid/recession. Many folks are really struggling and unfortunately that tends to lead to more crime. I was at Norristown TC last week for the first time in at least 3 or 4 months and there has always been homeless people living there but the entire station was full as in at least 30 or more people in there. I am sorry to hear that it finally has been enough to force you to leave.
I'm on the east end and close to the PM border. You would think that it would be nicer here but unfortunately it's not and has really gone downhill and I have seen so much over the years. There's a few bright spots with some of the new townhomes and most of those are in spots where old dilapidated rowhomes stood so it was nice to see those torn down and replaced. However, just those blocks are better and the next block down can be a nightmare. And of course the nicer blocks are attractive targets and cars and houses are regularly broken into (my neighbor's and a few others were recently burglarized).

I can't even begin to tell you all of the crime I have experienced and witnessed here: multiple shootings with one homicide, fights (had the unfortunate pleasure of witnessing a violent one a few weeks ago), drugs (my neighbor recently OD'd), you name it. There's a large homeless encampment in the area now and even small patches of woods can contain some homeless and/or people shooting up. Not a single day goes by anymore where I don't randomly see something crazy. Hell, on a walk recently a junkie was passed out on the sidewalk and I had to nudge him just to see if he was still alive.

I am a renter so thankfully it's going to be simple for me to bail. I have been here for a while and was looking for properties to own in the area and there was a point in time a few years ago where things were looking up and then boom, downward slide again. I have now completely scrapped the idea of owning anything within the borough and have halted my search and that is sad, as there are many like me who would be a positive for the town.

And the income taxes are 2.1% btw so hopping the border gets me an instant 1.1% raise. The property taxes aren't good either so it's not like Philly where you can save a little there (yes the wage tax sucks but depending on where you buy in the burbs that may be a wash, as property taxes can be very high).

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 3:17 AM

Quote:
I'm on the east end and close to the PM border...I have now completely scrapped the idea of owning anything within the borough and have halted my search and that is sad, as there are many like me who would be a positive for the town.
I am really sorry to hear that and I have ben pulling for Norristown for a long time. Trying to get up there any chance I can. My favorite part is actually the West End because of the vibrancy of Marshall Street and then some of the architecture on Haws and Stanbridge.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 4:55 PM

Quote:

Great project for Norristown! Hope it happens.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 4:55 PM

Atlantic City’s former Trump Plaza will be imploded on Feb. 17, mayor says

Read more here:
https://www.inquirer.com/news/trump-...-20210121.html

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 6:19 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
I am really sorry to hear that and I have ben pulling for Norristown for a long time. Trying to get up there any chance I can. My favorite part is actually the West End because of the vibrancy of Marshall Street and then some of the architecture on Haws and Stanbridge.
Pretty bad areas in many spots too, though. My friends moved out soon after someone unloaded an AK at someone else a few doors down from them, they had enough and it was too unsafe for them and their children. Their house was burglarized also btw.

I can tolerate a lot (arguably too much) and have lived in some rough areas in my life so when I have had my fill you know that it's bad. I would never discourage someone from moving here if their heart was dead set on it but my advice would be choose very wisely and accept that odds will be high that you will be a victim of crime/at least too close for comfort.

So much wasted potential, that's the worst part. Like you said there's a lot of beautiful architecture. The location is great and there's some really neat things about it and for its size it packs a lot of punch. But...

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 1:36 AM
America's Hometown

Quote:
Pretty bad areas in many spots too, though. My friends moved out soon after someone unloaded an AK at someone else a few doors down from them, they had enough and it was too unsafe for them and their children. Their house was burglarized also btw.

I can tolerate a lot (arguably too much) and have lived in some rough areas in my life so when I have had my fill you know that it's bad. I would never discourage someone from moving here if their heart was dead set on it but my advice would be choose very wisely and accept that odds will be high that you will be a victim of crime/at least too close for comfort.

So much wasted potential, that's the worst part. Like you said there's a lot of beautiful architecture. The location is great and there's some really neat things about it and for its size it packs a lot of punch. But...
It's sad to hear the far east end is now seeing a lot of crime. It wasn't that way when I grew up there in Norris Hills. It always felt like we were buffered from the ills that afflicted other parts of Norristown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations