HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Dec 16, 2020, 5:32 PM

Asheville was where Zelda Fitzgerald (F Scott's wife) died from a fire t Highland Hospital (a mental institution) in 1948.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ks0t...&pbjreload=101

Minneapolis was home to many great bands in the 1980s. Husker Du will always have a special place for me since I went to college with Bob Mould and had a few geography classes with him.

Also: another cultural moment for Erie PA is that it's the hometown of the Oneders from the 1990's film "That Thing You Do"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o40za1wAlI

Last edited by MplsTodd; Dec 16, 2020 at 5:59 PM.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2020, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuriandrade View Post
I even cheated with Google and still found nothing about Erie. I remembered this Mel Gibson and Goldie Hawn movie and the went to Racine. It could have been Erie instead...

Londrina: they made this support character from The Expanse coming from Londrina. Completely random.

I don't think people we'll come up with something from Londrina. You can go with São Paulo instead...
Londrina is named for London, England, which is where Netflix's The Crown is set. Does that count?

Speaking of Netflix, I'm catching up on the show Big Mouth, and Harry Houdini was part of the storyline on one of the episodes. Harry Houdini died in Detroit of appendicitis while on tour.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2020, 6:14 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Old Posted Dec 16, 2020, 6:39 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Montreal

mtlblog

coudfront

wikipedia

Old Posted Dec 16, 2020, 6:45 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

i do like some of those montreal bagels better than ny's.

whoops did i say that?

actually, i really like istanbul simits better than either.

but really, we all should lay off the carbs lol.

and moog for asheville -- that is a clear, cool, top of the pops factor. nice.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2020, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Montreal
I associate Montreal with the band the Arcade Fire.

Phoenix, AZ is pretty weak in pop culture touchstones, but since he made an appearance up-thread, I'll note that Alice Cooper is still one of our go-to local celebrities (which says a lot about our celebrity culture as well). He's from here, went to High School here, and even got divorced here. The other local person that I associate with Phoenix in pop culture is Aidy Bryant from SNL. Here's her singing various jingles that Phoenicians hear all the time on the radio:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGDM5C6A1AE/

Old Posted Dec 16, 2020, 10:50 PM

^ For Phoenix, I can’t help but think of this:

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 16, 2020, 10:54 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I loved watching Alice growing up in the 70s

Old Posted Dec 16, 2020, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
I loved watching Alice growing up in the 70s
Kiss my grits.

I'll go a decade back and throw in these two for South Florida

Old Posted Dec 17, 2020, 12:51 AM

Ottawa- Beavertails (pastry), Alanis Morissette, Tom Green,Paul Anka.Dan Aykroyd,Lorne Greene, Rich Little, and Sandra Oh.....I think Matthew Perry, but not 100%..

re: Alice...Yes..I remember that Phoenix based series as well!..It was circa the same time as Different Strokes, Three's Company, and maybe a few years after All In the Family.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2020, 6:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
Erie made the rounds of the creepypasta universe a while back with this charming story. A bit of fiction, of course, but half the fun of urban legends these days is how easy it is to create new ones complete with photos and video.

That being said, here's the Moog Music building in downtown Asheville. If you know synthesizers, you know Moog. I hear in the music world, Moog is a fairly big deal.

oh yeah. i've always wanted to go to moogfest, tends to attract some pretty cool up and coming electronic musicians (or even some of the more established eclectic ones - i regret not getting to go see jon hopkins a couple of yrs ago)

Old Posted Dec 17, 2020, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickell View Post
Kiss my grits.

I'll go a decade back and throw in these two for South Florida

what do you call a bear with a penis on it's head ?
genital Ben

Old Posted Dec 17, 2020, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Londrina is named for London, England, which is where Netflix's The Crown is set. Does that count?
Not only that, but it was founded in the 1930's by Lord Lovat's Paraná Plantation, who had as associated the then Prince of Wales (later Edward VIII, featured in The Crown). He also paid a visit to the region right on the beginning of the project.

Quote:
Speaking of Netflix, I'm catching up on the show Big Mouth, and Harry Houdini was part of the storyline on one of the episodes. Harry Houdini died in Detroit of appendicitis while on tour.
This can be post countless times. Endless references. Let's start with the most obvious Henry Ford, Robocop and Motown?

And to keep the game rolling, my adoptive city São Paulo was heavily featured on the Black Mirror's episode Striking Vipers.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2020, 4:43 PM

Quote:
This can be post countless times. Endless references. Let's start with the most obvious Henry Ford, Robocop and Motown?
I think most Detroiters hate the RoboCop reference. The movie wasn't filmed there, and if you're familiar with the actual city of Detroit then nothing about the moving really evokes thoughts of it. The "Detroit" in RoboCop reminds me of Dallas, which is where it was filmed.

Quote:
And to keep the game rolling, my adoptive city São Paulo was heavily featured on the Black Mirror's episode Striking Vipers.
I remember watching that episode and recognizing that it was filmed in São Paulo.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2020, 4:57 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
I think most Detroiters hate the RoboCop reference. The movie wasn't filmed there, and if you're familiar with the actual city of Detroit then nothing about the moving really evokes thoughts of it. The "Detroit" in RoboCop reminds me of Dallas, which is where it was filmed.
I'm not even from Detroit and I think it's stupid that the city is associated with that ridiculous movie.

When I think about movies where Detroit actually plays itself as a character in the movie, "8 Mile" and "Gran Torino" jump immediately to my mind.

Not only are they both absolutely outstanding films about detroit, they're both just flat out awesome films period, two of my all-time favorites.

Robocop is 100% grade-A nonsense by comparison.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Dec 17, 2020 at 5:14 PM.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2020, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
I'm not even from Detroit and I think it's stupid that the city is associated with that ridiculous movie.

When I think about movies where Detroit actually plays itself as a character in the movie, "8 Mile" and "Gran Torino" jump immediately to my mind.

Not only are they both absolutely outstanding films about detroit, they're both just flat out awesome films period, two of my all-time favorites.
Yup, those definitely feel like Detroit. Even Four Brothers looks like Detroit (unlike RoboCop), despite that movie being mostly filmed in another country.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2020, 5:17 PM

Quote:
I've never watched it and I remember to read somewhere it was filmed in Dallas. However it's a movie when they keep talking about Detroit every single sentence. That's why the reference is so strong.

Quote:
I remember watching that episode and recognizing that it was filmed in São Paulo.
It's interesting because the characters had absolutely nothing to do with the city. African Americans living in a leafy district of São Paulo as if they were natives from here. But that's Black Mirror, they don't like to give us any sense of familiarity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
(...)

Robocop is 100% grade-A nonsense by comparison.
I watched both. Very good movies but I guess Gran Torino got dated after all those identitarian movements from mid-2010's onwards.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2020, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
I associate Montreal with the band the Arcade Fire.

Phoenix, AZ is pretty weak in pop culture touchstones, but since he made an appearance up-thread, I'll note that Alice Cooper is still one of our go-to local celebrities (which says a lot about our celebrity culture as well). He's from here, went to High School here, and even got divorced here. The other local person that I associate with Phoenix in pop culture is Aidy Bryant from SNL. Here's her singing various jingles that Phoenicians hear all the time on the radio:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGDM5C6A1AE/
These are terrible! Haha. There are several better music/entertainment options for Phoenix, but I'm not sure that's the point of the thread. I'd say one of the biggest pop culture contributions from Phoenix is actually mostly unknown. MTV's Unplugged was HUGE and a pop cultural cornerstone of the 90s. Maybe the biggest song from this whole series' run was Nirvana's Lake of Fire. Nirvana being on Unplugged and this song in particular really made it into the pop culture conscience. This song was actually Nirvana covering the Meat Puppets (who hailed from Phoenix) and they were an early influence of Nirvana. The Meat Puppets were even on stage playing back up instrumentals for Nirvana during this song and (I believe) a couple other of Nirvana's Unplugged songs.

https://youtu.be/uItAH1nA990

Old Posted Dec 17, 2020, 5:21 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

There is also "South Detroit" where the "city boy" was born and raised in the famous song by Journey.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2020, 5:26 PM

^ South Detroit is my favorite part of the city. It's beautiful.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions