HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Central Park Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 7, 2021, 3:40 AM
JACKinBeantown

Maybe they're going to pull a Chrysler Building.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2021, 3:33 PM
Ω

It really does look so much better with the spire. That long vertical fin makes so much more sense by rising above the crown. I'm interested if all the structural elements required to support the spire are there.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2021, 6:29 PM

Imagine whoever buys the penthouse paying for the spire out of their own ego (and pocket). Give em the keys to the city I say.

It probably wouldn't be possible to erect the spire once all the construction rigs come down.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2021, 9:46 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

spire or no spire.

in the words of ronnie reagan --

mr. micheal stern, tear down that blue glass tape !!!

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 4:21 PM

I've never been a fan of tacked-on "spires" a la 1WTC, NYT, BofA, One Vanderbilt... so I'm glad they're not planning to attach yet another awkward pole or antenna on the city's new tallest. I hope that NYC has finally gotten that crap out of its system.

I'd would be nice to see a new prominent-on-the-skyline building with an actual spire, one that is an undeniable and integral component of the structure's design -- ESB, Chrysler, 40 Wall Street.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 7:55 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
I've never been a fan of tacked-on "spires" a la 1WTC, NYT, BofA, One Vanderbilt... so I'm glad they're not planning to attach yet another awkward pole or antenna on the city's new tallest. I hope that NYC has finally gotten that crap out of its system.

I'd would be nice to see a new prominent-on-the-skyline building with an actual spire, one that is an undeniable and integral component of the structure's design -- ESB, Chrysler, 40 Wall Street.
Agreed, I'm glad that the US has one of world's tallest buildings and it has no vanity height whatsoever.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2021, 1:18 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:

Well, this is an actual spire, one that was not just "tacked on". It was integrated into the design, so much so that an element of it remains. It clearly was no awkward pole. The design could have been much better, but that was no tack on, and was much better designed for the tower than what they did with the Trump Tower Chicago.

But they could tack on a large antenna for all I care. As it is now, the building is as dull at 1,500 ft tower as you can get on the skyline.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJv6ON1Dpjg/

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2021, 9:36 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2021, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropdeaded209 View Post
so what WAS the reason for ditching the spire? Costs? Not wanting to go over the ridiculous "gentleman's agreement" with 1 WTC being NYC's tallest?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
There is no gentleman's agreement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramsjdg View Post
A shame, as with the spire now it would be 1798' and finally put the WTC-1 spantenna out of its (and our) misery
Just now I was watching The B1M's YouTube video "Why There Are No Megatall Skyscrapers in New York", and the guy claims that the CPT "was forced to abandon earlier plans for a large spire in the face of public outcry". I have bookmarked that segment here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4awZOrzyjo&t=3m52s

Old Posted Jan 10, 2021, 1:52 AM

Quote:
Well, this is an actual spire, one that was not just "tacked on". It was integrated into the design, so much so that an element of it remains. It clearly was no awkward pole. The design could have been much better, but that was no tack on, and was much better designed for the tower than what they did with the Trump Tower Chicago.

But they could tack on a large antenna for all I care. As it is now, the building is as dull at 1,500 ft tower as you can get on the skyline.
Oh ok... I didn't realize how the spire is a continuation of the design feature of the crown. Yeah, that's at least not just some mast propped up there.

I guess I'd really just like to see a new NYC supertall with the classic taper form, culminating in a spire that's a continuation of the building's form... rather than a flat roof with a very thin spire jutting up.

As for dullness... yeah, I guess it is, huh? I really keep trying to like it more... and from some of the angles looking up at the cantilevered side, it can look pretty cool. But in total on the skyline?... for 1,500 ft, it doesn't really get the blood stirring.

At least we have the other new neighborhood standouts to admire.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2021, 9:34 AM

I swear that cpt tower need come back its spire it looks ugly without it , the empty zone that it has in his crown need to be filled with antenna spire !!!!
i hope gary barnett can read this message.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2021, 1:31 AM

Quote:

1 WTC's Spire is in no way "tacked on"

Neither is One Vanderbilt.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2021, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerDude View Post
Before the value engineering redesign you'd have a point.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2021, 2:01 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post
Just now I was watching The B1M's YouTube video "Why There Are No Megatall Skyscrapers in New York", and the guy claims that the CPT "was forced to abandon earlier plans for a large spire in the face of public outcry".
LOL. Are you kidding me, you want me to take a video of some guy saying there was public outcry seriously. Show me the damned "public outcry". There was none. Most people don't even know anything about Central Park Tower, let alone a spire there.

Quote:
Oh ok... I didn't realize how the spire is a continuation of the design feature of the crown. Yeah, that's at least not just some mast propped up there.

As for dullness... yeah, I guess it is, huh? I really keep trying to like it more... and from some of the angles looking up at the cantilevered side, it can look pretty cool. But in total on the skyline?... for 1,500 ft, it doesn't really get the blood stirring.

It has a nice facade, but beyond that, it doesn't really try to be anything else. There is no defining feature - other than it's just tall. The shape shifting hurts it, and in New York, that should be a plus. I would have liked it more as a straight tube like 432 Park.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJ4mLs2JAJm/

Old Posted Jan 11, 2021, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerDude View Post

Neither is One Vanderbilt.
Well maybe not with tacks.

But with big nuts and bolts and wires... installed on, in better terminology . It's not worth arguing about, and this thread is about CPT anyway.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 2:30 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 9:22 AM

Quote:
Damn! Sick buildings and sick car, in the same shot

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 9:11 PM

Quote:
LOL. Are you kidding me, you want me to take a video of some guy saying there was public outcry seriously.
Well, The B1M is not just some random YouTube channel, but a very popular channel that focuses on construction -- see more info here. Quite a few SkyscraperPage forum members have praised this channel's videos.

"Public outcry" is no doubt a hyperbole. But that B1M guy could still be correct that the spire was scrapped because a handful of people vehemently objected to the CPT's perceived attempt to dethrone the "sacred" 1WTC.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 1:10 AM
Ω

Quote:
It has a nice facade, but beyond that, it doesn't really try to be anything else. There is no defining feature - other than it's just tall. The shape shifting hurts it, and in New York, that should be a plus. I would have liked it more as a straight tube like 432 Park.

Completely agree. 432 Park is at least unapologetic with its repetitive, modernist, monolithic design. I may not love 432 Park but I respect it. CPT looks like it was designed by committee.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 2:36 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post
Well, The B1M is not just some random YouTube channel, but a very popular channel that focuses on construction -- see more info here. Quite a few SkyscraperPage forum members have praised this channel's videos.

"Public outcry" is no doubt a hyperbole. But that B1M guy could still be correct that the spire was scrapped because a handful of people vehemently objected to the CPT's perceived attempt to dethrone the "sacred" 1WTC.

I don't care what kind of channel it is. I'm telling you it didn't happen. People say lots of things. Show me the outrage, even a handful of people "vehemently objecting". How would that even work?
Who did they object to? Did Barnett come out with a press release? It didn't happen. Unless we're talking Barnett himself. That man said there wouldn't be any spire or "gimmick" to increase the height.

https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/p...?adppopup=true

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJW6ZUyhytr/

Last edited by NYguy; Jan 13, 2021 at 3:00 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive