HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 7, 2021, 11:22 PM
them bones

I had occasion to be in Long Beach yesterday for something and snapped a few lousy phone shots of the new tallest, the 417ft Shoreline Gateway. It was so nice to see the LBC with a new crown, especially on the other end of the skyline from the previous tallest. It's not a bad looking building, but as always I reserve judgement until it's completed.

200106 LOS ANGELES 001
by Michael Stroh, on Flickr

200106 LOS ANGELES 002

200106 LOS ANGELES 003

200106 LOS ANGELES 004

As nearly always when in Long Beach, I drove through the port. I wanted to see the new cable stayed Gerald Desmond Bridge, and had no idea that
the bridge had actually opened to traffic! Beautiful!

200106 LOS ANGELES 005

200106 LOS ANGELES 006

200106 LOS ANGELES 007

200106 LOS ANGELES 008

200106 LOS ANGELES 009

200106 LOS ANGELES 010

200106 LOS ANGELES 011

Obligatory downtown shot from the 110. I am continually shocked by how much it looks like the skyline has literally doubled from the south in the past 5 years.

200106 LOS ANGELES 012

200106 LOS ANGELES 013

This seems to be about the only angle where Metropolis has a sizeable impact on the skyline.

200106 LOS ANGELES 014

Off to Porto's in Glendale because it's yummy...

200106 LOS ANGELES 015

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 12:11 AM

Great update Plinko thx 4 sharing

Old Posted Jan 9, 2021, 1:13 PM

Oh those nighttime shots are beautful. Especially the entire skyline one.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2021, 8:52 PM

Very nice update Plinko.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2021, 8:57 PM

Here is the Wilshire @ Hoover apt. development

Old Posted Jan 10, 2021, 5:38 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Great update! The tower portion is nice, but man, that base is awful.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jan 10, 2021, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
Great update! The tower portion is nice, but man, that base is awful.
I was going to say the same thing. At the very least it is covered with units and isn't just a parking garage. Is there retail on the other side of the project?

Old Posted Jan 11, 2021, 8:38 PM

I believe there will be ground floor retail on the Wilshire Blvd side.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2021, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorboffin View Post
I was going to say the same thing. At the very least it is covered with units and isn't just a parking garage. Is there retail on the other side of the project?
I actually think the left portion of the apartment covered podium doesn't look half bad... its just the right side that lack any sort of architectural detailing and the fact that it is so wide horizontally that doesn't make it look fanastic.

The tower however is great - Almost Vegas-y (in a good one). I wish it kept its original height so it doesn't look *slightly* stumpy as it does not, but still a great addition to the neighborhood and helping close the gap between DTLA/Westlake/Koreatown in a big way

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAisthePlace View Post
I actually think the left portion of the apartment covered podium doesn't look half bad... its just the right side that lack any sort of architectural detailing and the fact that it is so wide horizontally that doesn't make it look fantastic.

The tower however is great - Almost Vegas-y (in a good one). I wish it kept its original height so it doesn't look *slightly* stumpy as it does not, but still a great addition to the neighborhood and helping close the gap between DTLA/Westlake/Koreatown in a big way
You nailed my sentiments exactly. The right side on Wilshire and also the Hoover street level is the exact same lack of detailing. Not sure why they chose such a stripped-down design, especially on Wilshire. However, I love the tower itself and look forward to the density in helping to clean up the Lafayette Park neighborhood. It seems now the only large gap left between Downtown and Lafayette Park is the area across from Home Depot. Also, I would like to see the 99 cent store demoed and replaced on the corner of Wilshire and Alvarado, and the Westlake Theatre restored eventually. I like the market atmosphere along the sidewalks across from MacArthur Park.

I love the Pico-Union and Rampart areas. If only our politicians would be more proactive in keeping the parkways and curb and gutters free of the constant buildup of garbage in those areas. There's an incredible amount of great architecture in those districts.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
You nailed my sentiments exactly. The right side on Wilshire and also the Hoover street level is the exact same lack of detailing. Not sure why they chose such a stripped-down design, especially on Wilshire. However, I love the tower itself and look forward to the density in helping to clean up the Lafayette Park neighborhood. It seems now the only large gap left between Downtown and Lafayette Park is the area across from Home Depot. Also, I would like to see the 99 cent store demoed and replaced on the corner of Wilshire and Alvarado, and the Westlake Theatre restored eventually. I like the market atmosphere along the sidewalks across from MacArthur Park.

I love the Pico-Union and Rampart areas. If only our politicians would be more proactive in keeping the parkways and curb and gutters free of the constant buildup of garbage in those areas. There's an incredible amount of great architecture in those districts.
Agreed on the interestingness of that whole larger neighborhood - If I had crystal ball and could see what one single neighborhood in Los Angeles looked like in 20 years, it might just be Westlake.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 4:31 PM

(Potentially) the tallest building in Koreatown rises. Love to see the height outside of Downtown and Century City.

https://urbanize.city/la/post/constr...oreatown-tower

Does anyone know the height of this new tower and if it will beat out Equitable?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 4:38 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Oh man, I had completely forgotten about this one. Love all the activity happening outside of downtown!
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post

Westlake/MacArthur Park still looks like a hot mess these days. Yes, there are some gorgeous historic buildings around there, and it is nice to see rumblings of additional development. But I drove around there last weekend and there were tent cities everywhere (including in the park) and mounds of trash all over the place. The 'market atmosphere', aka selling bootleg Tide pods and the like on the sidewalk, is one way of describing it. I'd say more like third-world swap meet atmosphere.

IMO, the whole area looks worse than it did 10 years ago. Koreatown, and obviously DTLA, have made tremendous strides in the past decade, and I look forward to the day when I can say the same for Westlake.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 4:36 AM

That new tower sure will make a nice addition to Ktown! Yes, there is an issue out there with trash and street living, but Let’s stay on the topic of this thread that deal with high rise dwellings .

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 7:18 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

Moderator edit: I deleted a bunch of posts that were off topic. Please take those discussions to the City Discussions sub-forum. This thread is for Los Angeles (non-downtown) development. Please stay on topic, or you can take a forced vacation from the forums.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2021, 8:14 AM

First SoCal location of TopGolf to open in El Segundo by summer 2022

https://www.dailybreeze.com/2021/01/...pgolf-in-2022/

*Send PM for updates/edits/corrections*

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 1:54 AM
Los Angeles Aficionado

WB in Burbank

WB in Burbank
Taken on 1/17/21

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 7:34 PM

Century City as seen from the top of Lago Vista Drive in Beverly Hills on January 13

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 11:20 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ GREAT shot!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations