HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 3:19 PM

Image sourced from Mapping London: https://mappinglondon.co.uk/2013/londons-localities

Old Posted Jan 9, 2021, 11:25 PM

Another Toronto neighborhood map:

https://web.archive.org/web/20060103.../pdf/hoods.pdf

Old Posted Jan 10, 2021, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Yep, chicago's hard-edged community areas have been locked-in for roughly a century now, with two major exceptions: the land annexed by the city for ORD in the 50s became the 76th community area, and edgewater was split-off from uptown in 1980 to become the 77th community area. That's why the numbering for those two areas breaks from the general northeast to southwest pattern.
Why was Edgewater separated from Uptown?

Old Posted Jan 10, 2021, 11:23 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
Why was Edgewater separated from Uptown?
I think at the most fundamental level, it was to correct a historical wrong.

Uptown and edgewater never were a single entity in practice. From their very inceptions they've always had separate and distinct identities.

I would love to know the reasoning behind why those UofC sociologists combined them into a single community area in the first place back in 1920.

However they arrived there, it was a mistake, and it was finally corrected 60 years later in 1980 after strong lobbying from edgewater community and business groups.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benp View Post
I had assumed that the Hydraulics roughly followed the path of the old Hamburg Canal from downtown, on which part of I-190 is built, and includes the Larkin area along with the what is now called Cobblestone area (also not on the map). I don't know what the boundaries of Iron Island were considered, but the Iron Island Museum is on East Lovejoy. I recall growing up that the Italians in the area wanted you to know that they lived in "East Lovejoy" and not just "Lovejoy" because, well, lets just say the other part wasn't Italian.
I always thought the Cobblestone District was part of the First Ward, which it appears as on both maps. The connection to the nearby river and basin, and to the other industry along the water, seemed obvious if you ignored the arena.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 4:24 PM

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 7:53 PM

London has boroughs which are obviously well defined, but these are much too large to be considered neighbourhoods. Neighbourhoods (or towns or villages within London as the case may be) can be quite clearly or much more loosely defined. Sometimes the borders are determined by the ownership of a particular aristocratic estate (as in Belgravia), sometimes a historical village (as in Dulwich), sometimes a train or tube station (as in Angel). There is probably no agreed list, at least so far as I am aware.

edit: I’ve just seen the map at the top of this page, which gives an idea, but it’s pretty easy to come up with well known place names that are missing just in central London. Some examples:

- Clerkenwell
- Fitzrovia*
- Victoria
- Westminster (a glaring omission!)
- Shad Thames
- St James’s
- Chinatown*
- Soho*
- Covent Garden*
- Bloomsbury

* these seem to be lumped together as part of the West End, but so would Mayfair and Marylebone
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Last edited by 10023; Jan 18, 2021 at 8:03 PM.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 7:57 PM

How about wards within boroughs? They have names rather than numbers, and British electoral districts don't change much.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
How about wards within boroughs? They have names rather than numbers, and British electoral districts don't change much.
Wards can be bigger or smaller than neighbourhoods as people would define them. The West End is a single ward, yet Bethnal Green is divided into 4 different wards. My own ward would never be the name used to describe the neighborhood.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 1:04 AM

Other than Old Town, Alexandria's never really had clear cut boundaries:

I couldn't even tell you what neighborhood I live in (either Taylor Run, Chinquapin, Seminary Hill or South Fairlington).

Of course, this is all starting to change, now that the city is actively creating corridors for TOD: https://www.alexandriava.gov/uploade...zed.jpg?n=7935

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 1:36 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
London has boroughs which are obviously well defined, but these are much too large to be considered neighbourhoods. Neighbourhoods (or towns or villages within London as the case may be) can be quite clearly or much more loosely defined. Sometimes the borders are determined by the ownership of a particular aristocratic estate (as in Belgravia), sometimes a historical village (as in Dulwich), sometimes a train or tube station (as in Angel). There is probably no agreed list, at least so far as I am aware.

edit: I’ve just seen the map at the top of this page, which gives an idea, but it’s pretty easy to come up with well known place names that are missing just in central London. Some examples:

- Clerkenwell
- Fitzrovia*
- Victoria
- Westminster (a glaring omission!)
- Shad Thames
- St James’s
- Chinatown*
- Soho*
- Covent Garden*
- Bloomsbury

* these seem to be lumped together as part of the West End, but so would Mayfair and Marylebone
I thought Bloomsbury was an actual proper neighborhood where as something like Covent Garden was a place name for the immediate area; the indoor/ outdoor market areas..plus surrounding blocks, Tube, etc. As many times I've been there, always confused with house London is broken down.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 7:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
I thought Bloomsbury was an actual proper neighborhood where as something like Covent Garden was a place name for the immediate area; the indoor/ outdoor market areas..plus surrounding blocks, Tube, etc. As many times I've been there, always confused with house London is broken down.
Well there’s the “piazza” which is a few streets around the old Covent Garden market. But I think most would consider Seven Dials (another “area”/sub-neighborhood), St Martin’s Lane, Long Acre etc to be “Covent Garden” as well.

Where the border is between Covent Garden and the Strand or Holborn, who knows, but I would consider anything in the area bounded by Charing Cross Rd (west), the Strand (south), Drury Lane (east) and Shaftesbury Ave (north) to be Covent Garden the neighbourhood.

Google Maps can be pretty useless too. On mine they slap a label “St Giles” over Seven Dials, when really that refers (if to anything) to the little triangle bounded by Shaftesbury, Charing Cross Road and New Oxford Street, around the church of the same name, that is neither Covent Garden (south of Shaftesbury), Soho (west of Charing Cross) or Bloomsbury (north of New Oxford St).

London neighbourhoods are quite fine-grained as they are in New York. But the differences can be even more starkly pronounced because of the history of big landed estates developing different parcels of land. You could never mistake the border between Mayfair and Soho for example.

Last edited by 10023; Jan 19, 2021 at 7:21 AM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions