HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 11:16 PM
Fake News

Any of my Millennial brethren remember this guy?

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Any of my Millennial brethren remember this guy?

Holy shit!!!

I used to love Y-TV.

Wow, what a blast from the past. Damn.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 11:24 PM

Also... My pre teen self still has a crush on Topanga.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 1:50 AM

The Youtube algorithm smacked me with some nostalgia today with this deep dive into Paranoid Android: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpNFcfPQcYQ

It's been sometime that I've listened to OK Computer and somehow even knowing deep down how good it was (it's easily my number one album from the 90s), listening to it again still gives me goosebumps as if I was hearing it for the first time all over again.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 8:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
Every generation is the same. Many people of the Golden Age considered 60s/70s music horrible, while many Boomers considered 80s/90s music horrible. You are just following the tradition of grumpy old men: complaining about irrelevant things.

You're so dense I could put a satellite in orbit around your head. And yet the point escapes you.

This is a thread for reminiscing. Why would I talk about the new music I like?

Furthermore, there's a difference between musical pop culture losing relevance (a point I made), and the churn of genre revolution running down (another point I made), and music in general becoming bad.

Like others have said, there's a lot of innovation in electronic music. Underground hip hop is in a good place too. If I'm not talking about Jon Hopkins or Armand Hammer it's because, like I already said, this isn't a thread for that.

Now go back to your bridge and find someone else to bother.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 8:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
Definitely. There were a few early millennials in bands at the tail end of the genre (such as teen band Kittie) but overwhelmingly the artists were Gen-Xers. A lot more than you'd expect were in their late 20s or even 30s when the genre hit big.

I started with Nu Metal early enough to buy Korn's first album shortly after it was released (basically the first real album in the genre - still holds up), but did so because my friends Gen-X older brother introduced us to the metal and punk bands he listened to. Even in the context of listeners the big target audience was probably the grey zone between X and Millennial which I fit into - usually defined as being born between 79 and 84.
I meant to comment on this earlier. I got into Korn during last year's lockdown and they were a revelation--very musically serious. Jonathan Davis is a great song writer; he put down some thought-provoking lyrics. And the band's funky-metal sound is significantly different from the hard rock band with a DJ and whiteboy rapper sound of some of their later peers.

On that same musical trip I rediscovered System of a Down. They're just excellent. But are they nu metal?

Anyway, it's a genre that deserves better than Fred Durst.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 8:43 AM
Midtowner since 2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
I meant to comment on this earlier. I got into Korn during last year's lockdown and they were a revelation--very musically serious. Jonathan Davis is a great song writer; he put down some thought-provoking lyrics. And the band's funky-metal sound is significantly different from the hard rock band with a DJ and whiteboy rapper sound of some of their later peers.

On that same musical trip I rediscovered System of a Down. They're just excellent. But are they nu metal?

Nice. I never really listened to Korn, but I heard some of their bigger hits on the radio sometimes when I'd be on the road. I'm not sure if I'd be totally a fan of their work frankly. That being said, I finally started looking into System of a Down...and man, they had a really tight group and great insights in the world as it was and continues to be. I'd consider "Toxicity" to have elements of nu metal, but it's also combining that with rap-metal, or some kind of blend of such. Overall, I'd say the band isn't nu metal...but they had some elements of such around that time.

Oh Fred Durst....what a weenie. I never liked him much, bit of a dick really.
But anyway, I started listening to Skillet a few weeks ago, and have been more cptivated by their record "Collide". It's nu-metal, but also Christian metal, makin for a unique blend, although it doesn't necessarily sound overly religious because John Cooper is yeling for half the bloody record (at least doing a better job than Dave Grohl).
Nu-metal is an interesting sub-genre, and I love looking back on it.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 11:08 AM

Quote:
You're so dense I could put a satellite in orbit around your head. And yet the point escapes you.

This is a thread for reminiscing. Why would I talk about the new music I like?

Furthermore, there's a difference between musical pop culture losing relevance (a point I made), and the churn of genre revolution running down (another point I made), and music in general becoming bad.

Like others have said, there's a lot of innovation in electronic music. Underground hip hop is in a good place too. If I'm not talking about Jon Hopkins or Armand Hammer it's because, like I already said, this isn't a thread for that.

Now go back to your bridge and find someone else to bother.
You remind me of Archie Bunker in "All IN The Family."

You may as well sing "Those were the days!"

Now run along to your imaginary girlfriend, and complain about the meanie from SSP.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 1:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Firstly, generation label tags like "gen x" and "millennial" are basically made for marketing and surveying purposes, and really are just used to sew divisions between groups rather than having us focus on the root cause of most of the issues we experience - corps, those with wealth, etc.
If you are saying that too much is made about classifying generations, then yes I agree, but there are definitely some shared pop cultural references, trends, and current events that are exclusive to each generation. What dates define the boundaries of a generation can be debated.

People my age group are old enough to remember watching Gilligan's Island, the Flinstones, Adam 12,and the Brady Bunch when these shows were still kind of relevant, but only as repeats..Banana Splits, Underdog, and Bob Barker hosting Truth or Consequences are at the far reaches of my memory..Three's Company and Happy Days were Prime time!

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 1:17 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
You remind me of Archie Bunker in "All IN The Family."

You may as well sing "Those were the days!"

Now run along to your imaginary girlfriend, and complain about the meanie from SSP.
Just a friend-diddly reminderino: this is the topic of this thread. If you don<t like it, you can get on your church bus and move on!

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 1:26 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
If you are saying that too much is made about classifying generations, then yes I agree, but there are definitely some shared pop cultural references, trends, and current events that are exclusive to each generation. What dates define the boundaries of a generation can be debated.

People my age group are old enough to remember watching Gilligan's Island, the Flinstones, Adam 12,and the Brady Bunch when these shows were still kind of relevant, but only as repeats..Banana Splits, Underdog, and Bob Barker hosting Truth or Consequences are at the far reaches of my memory..Three's Company and Happy Days were Prime time!
Indeed. I don't even recognize many of the shows and bands mentioned on this thread because I guess I am just too over the hill (born 1969). My prime TV watching days were done by the mid eighties, and the last 'new' musical genre that I recall getting really into was grunge.

Heck, we only had one B&W tv for years, and when I was living in Edmonton (72-74), we only received 3 channels (CTV, CBC, Radio-Canada). Romper Room, Mr. Dressup, Friendly Giant, Sesame Street, Mr. Rogers, Rocket Robin Hood, and the Flintstones. And Bugs Bunny/Roadrunner.

"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 1:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
Just a friend-diddly reminderino: this is the topic of this thread. If you don<t like it, you can get on your church bus and move on!
For real.

ButtDumbass204: "Hey Sammy Sosa, way to bat in a batting cage you asshole!"

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 2:14 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:

"Blind" - the first track off of Korn's first album is probably the best intro the genre could have. 13 year old me was blown away when I heard it, and I knew immediately I was into this. I'd also highly recommend revisiting Deftones if you haven't, particularly "White Pony" which is an incredible album.

SOAD is generally considered Nu-Metal, but it is an interesting definition. Unlike other metal genres which can get hyper specific about musical style, Nu-Metal is kind of a broad catch-all for a bunch of bands that started around that time that shared some musical / image stylings. "Rap-rock" is often used interchangeably, but a lot of Nu-metal bands (including Korn) didn't really do it much at all. I generally consider the core original bands to be Korn, Deftones and Limp Bizkit (whether we like it or not!). Slightly later ones would include stuff like System of a Down and Slipknot, but also then branches out into "Nu-metal adjacent" stuff like Linkin Park and Orgy which while very different than Korn still fall under the larger umbrella.

There were a lot of one-offs in the genre - especially as it got popular - but other bands have continued to release and innovate. Deftones and System of a Down in particular have seemed to move beyond that label and come into their own. Korn is still recognizable in their sound, but hey, they came up with it!

Regarding Limp Bizkit I have mixed feelings. When Three Dollar Bill, Y'all came out I enjoyed it, but absolutely hated the stylistic shift of their subsequent releases and rise in popularity. Looking back now I have a weird respect for Fred Durst as someone who seems to know exactly what they are doing and doesn't take himself seriously. That's the vibe he gives off now at least, he could very well have been very obnoxious at the time. Also Wes Borland may be the most talented guitarist in the genre, and brought a weirdness to an otherwise extremely bro-ey band. That being said there's no way in hell I'm going to listen to "Chocolate Starfish and the Hotdog Flavored Water".

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post

That’s funny that you only remember those shows as repeats, given your age. I was born in ‘65 and remember watching some of those shows when they were originally shown as well as in reruns. I do have pretty strong memories of my early childhood though, not everyone does, however. I remember watching Laugh-In in the late 60s, probably some of my earliest tv memories.

Being born in the first Gen X year, I feel almost as connected to the Boomers as I do Gen X, especially when I think back to my childhood. Do you feel any connection to the Boomers as well? I would think you might, considering you were born in ‘66.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 5:57 PM

Quote:

I totally agree - I thought KORN deserved recognition. Lyrically and musically they were miles ahead of what came after them.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 6:20 PM

Quote:
For real.

ButtDumbass204: "Hey Sammy Sosa, way to bat in a batting cage you asshole!"
I love you too, Biguc.

Last edited by BlackDog204; Jan 26, 2022 at 6:37 PM.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 6:55 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Can't be done, the change of mind. Nope. Nope nope nope.

EDIT: Ritter was more well known for the sitcoms, but if anyone gets a chance to watch him in Skin Deep, take that chance.
Or Sling Blade.

God dammit I have to watch it again. thanks.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 7:02 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I reckon Sling Blade's a good movie Ummmhh-hmmm!!

"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 7:07 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Heck, we only had one B&W tv for years, and when I was living in Edmonton (72-74), we only received 3 channels (CTV, CBC, Radio-Canada). Romper Room, Mr. Dressup, Friendly Giant, Sesame Street, Mr. Rogers, Rocket Robin Hood, and the Flintstones. And Bugs Bunny/Roadrunner.
Did you have one of these things? I did.

Saturday morning, turn it to Minot, ND to pick up Bugs Bunny.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Did you have one of these things? I did.

Saturday morning, turn it to Minot, ND to pick up Bugs Bunny.

That would be no good in Edmonton, you guys lived, what a quarter mile from the US border? Being 20 miles from the border I was only able to get WDAZ Channel 8 Devils Lake, Grand Forks and only for about an hour after the sun came up!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada