HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Nov 3, 2021, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
Very cool. This photo just highlights to me the need to have some sort of sculpture in front of WPS that can match the Calatrava's work at River Point.

I know that originally there was supposed to be some sort of fountain in front of WPS that seems no longer in the cards, I am perfectly Ok with the idea of doing without the fountain but there needs to be something sculptural there.
Personally, I think you rarely go wrong with a fountain--they lend grace and movement to just about any space and are a natural gathering spot. I also think the Calatrava sculpture is a bit of a disappointment. Not terrible, but nothing exciting or memorable.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2021, 9:51 PM
1st Ward

Anyone know how many floors left to go? From my counting, looks like the ironwork is somewhere near floor 48-49.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2021, 2:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
Anyone know how many floors left to go? From my counting, looks like the ironwork is somewhere near floor 48-49.
Profile view on previous page showed floor 53 in the form, so 7 floors from the top to 60. But on the drawing on the website theres kind of this little 61st floor to the architectural top so you could say maybe 8 more floors to pour.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2021, 2:40 AM
1st Ward

Wow I was way off. Thanks for the update!

Old Posted Nov 6, 2021, 1:56 PM

So here's a new image (full-size link):

Zoomed in version here. They haven't added any new floors since last week.

The floors that are covered appear to be 37-39. Counting up from there, 50 looks taller, which is consistent with the stacking plan here.

Measuring the image, 50 looks 25% taller than the lower floors, while the stacking plan shows it 20% taller. However, 49, as built, looks the same as 48 and below, whereas the stacking plan has it 10% taller.

As built, 51 appears to be 36% taller than 48 and below, whereas the stacking plan shows it just 10% taller.

Obviously the stacking plan might just be off on the heights. But the other possibility is that some of these upper floors are getting stretched, as was suggested in a previous post.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2021, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewbs View Post
So here's a new image (full-size link):

Zoomed in version here. They haven't added any new floors since last week.

The floors that are covered appear to be 37-39. Counting up from there, 50 looks taller, which is consistent with the stacking plan here.

Measuring the image, 50 looks 25% taller than the lower floors, while the stacking plan shows it 20% taller. However, 49, as built, looks the same as 48 and below, whereas the stacking plan has it 10% taller.

As built, 51 appears to be 36% taller than 48 and below, whereas the stacking plan shows it just 10% taller.

Obviously the stacking plan might just be off on the heights. But the other possibility is that some of these upper floors are getting stretched, as was suggested in a previous post.
Interesting observation about the pause. Could be a million reasons for that, one of which is modifying the design. Like when they paused 9 W Walton while figuring out how to add Ken's Griffin 3 floor penthouse to the design. Still slim I say, but hey, us skyscraper groupies can hope!

Old Posted Nov 8, 2021, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewbs View Post
They haven't added any new floors since last week.
Huh? They added steel on Friday, plus more steel and glass today.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2021, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
Huh? They added steel on Friday, plus more steel and glass today.
I was referring to the core, but point taken

Old Posted Nov 11, 2021, 5:53 AM

Just realized that Salesforce is building in Sydney as well. 53 floors and ~860 ft. Annoyed by our lack of floor height in the Chicago iteration. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salesforce_Tower_(Sydney))

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 7:53 PM

Oct 30

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty Joe View Post
While Chicago's is more elegant, its sheer glass walls make it less of a focal point than Sydney's tower. Ours could really use more height, some facade work, and any sort of crown... Or just try this site again in 90 years. Maybe we'll have our shit figured out by then.
Instead of trying this site again I'd much rather we wait 10-15yrs and then tear down the Apparel Mart for a Super-Mega tall.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 8:27 PM

nice cameo by One Chicago in the back there too!

"Helmut Jahn has never suffered a failure of nerve."

Old Posted Nov 13, 2021, 7:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago_Forever View Post
Instead of trying this site again I'd much rather we wait 10-15yrs and then tear down the Apparel Mart for a Super-Mega tall.
It could happen. They've got those darned viewing corridor rights looking south after all!

Old Posted Nov 16, 2021, 3:22 PM

Site this morning 11/16/21. Steel catching up to form as the form work has been paused for about 2 weeks now I believe. Hoping someone can chime in on any reasons for this. Did they run out of sand?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2021, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty Joe View Post
hopefully it's a height bump (based on successful leasing) and additional crown elements.
Now you got my hopes up. Lol

Old Posted Nov 17, 2021, 3:51 AM

FWIW the core was actually jumped this morning, but you're right, for the better part of about 3 weeks it didn't move. There could be numerous reasons as to why it stopped, but I doubt it has anything to do with last-second design changes. Also, the current lead times mean that making last-second design changes is even more headache-inducing than they usually are especially with a project of this size.

It could have something to do with the core being limited as to how tall it can free stand above the finished steel (fully bolted/welded, not just set) with a crane in it; especially when it's as skinny as it is now is.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2021, 8:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fvn View Post
FWIW the core was actually jumped this morning, but you're right, for the better part of about 3 weeks it didn't move. There could be numerous reasons as to why it stopped, but I doubt it has anything to do with last-second design changes. Also, the current lead times mean that making last-second design changes is even more headache-inducing than they usually are especially with a project of this size.

It could have something to do with the core being limited as to how tall it can free stand above the finished steel (fully bolted/welded, not just set) with a crane in it; especially when it's as skinny as it is now is.
Thanks for your input. Yeah that sounds like the most plausible explanation but we'll watch and see. Figures they jump the core for first time in a few weeks like a couple hours after I posted this lol.

I had thought about the structural explanation and thought it wouldn't be an issue but I forgot about the gigantic crane on top still hauling steel. Now that the steel is caught up sufficiently they can probably finish the final 7 or 8 floors continuously without any more stoppage.

That said I think it's turning out really great as the glass goes up. It's gonna be a stunner and I'm excited to see what kind of crown lighting they do on the top when finished. The renders show some lighting but it's hard to get a feel what it will look like in person. I'm hoping that they coordinate with the city's seasonal lighting program - specifically looking forward to any colored lighting.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2021, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivernorthlurker View Post
Thanks for your input. Yeah that sounds like the most plausible explanation but we'll watch and see. Figures they jump the core for first time in a few weeks like a couple hours after I posted this lol.

I had thought about the structural explanation and thought it wouldn't be an issue but I forgot about the gigantic crane on top still hauling steel. Now that the steel is caught up sufficiently they can probably finish the final 7 or 8 floors continuously without any more stoppage.

That said I think it's turning out really great as the glass goes up. It's gonna be a stunner and I'm excited to see what kind of crown lighting they do on the top when finished. The renders show some lighting but it's hard to get a feel what it will look like in person. I'm hoping that they coordinate with the city's seasonal lighting program - specifically looking forward to any colored lighting.
Do you know if WPE was supposed to have lighting? i always figured the vertical fins at the crown would be illuminated but never were (correct me if im wrong though!) hopefully WPS doesn't suffer the same fate.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2021, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORD2010 View Post
Do you know if WPE was supposed to have lighting? i always figured the vertical fins at the crown would be illuminated but never were (correct me if im wrong though!) hopefully WPS doesn't suffer the same fate.

That rendering suggests some lighting on WPS but not WPE.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2021, 8:45 PM

Salesforce is starting to become visible from the SW:

Edit: someone fix my link, I'm having issues on mobile.

https://imgur.com/a/KJMwCrY

Reddit.com/r/REbubble

Last edited by LouisVanDerWright; Nov 18, 2021 at 9:36 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive