HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Apr 6, 2020, 5:02 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

thanks for that reminder. they chose amazing well from the get go here. not married to any of that old and outdated stock.

well ok, there are maybe few things that would need a good reason to go, like say B aka 285 madison, which is stately and functional, but again its outdated and in no way outstanding or anything. i mean i would hate to give something good like that up for a cheap, garbage glass box, but otherwise most of these sites can go away anytime to make way for modern office space.

at the very least the good news as you can see on the maps is there are no obvious ploys to try take down truer classic buildings.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2020, 6:28 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
thanks for that reminder. they chose amazing well from the get go here. not married to any of that old and outdated stock.

well ok, there are maybe few things that would need a good reason to go, like say B aka 285 madison, which is stately and functional, but again its outdated and in no way outstanding or anything. i mean i would hate to give something good like that up for a cheap, garbage glass box, but otherwise most of these sites can go away anytime to make way for modern office space.

at the very least the good news as you can see on the maps is there are no obvious ploys to try take down truer classic buildings.

It can be argued that the City didn't do enough to generate enough incentive for larger office buildings in Midtown East, but the fact is, there really aren't enough sites to do it without widespread demolition and disruption. That's why the Hudson Yards came into play.

It can also be argued that there should have at least been greater density allowed on the sites. But I think a lot of that has to do with the mechanism on how the city allows you to reach those maximum FAR densities. In other words, it aint free. Unlike the upzonings in other parts of the city, the Hudson Yards and Midtown East upzonings come for a price.

The Vanderbilt corridor sites, which were approved earlier, have a maximum FAR of 30.

[QUOTE=NYguy;8885913]

Landmark development rights can be transferred anywhere within the district, unlike anywhere else in the city.

Quote:

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 2:58 AM
New Yorker for life

Shouldn't be long before we know what's getting built here...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 3:01 AM
New Yorker for life

And it's a supertall!

Last edited by NYguy; Jul 25, 2020 at 3:29 AM.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 3:39 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Excellent news!

Another one to add to the portfolio for the future. Man... the list keeps adding up.

12 super talls complete.
7 u/c or topped out.
2 on hold (45 Broad, 2 wtc which will rise eventually)
1 in Demo (JP Morgan)

Than... the proposals or prospect super talls with a very good chance of rising in the future based on needs for office/multi-use and future residential forecasts.

925k gsf!

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 3:55 AM

Boston Properties usually builds extremely high quality office towers, so this should be quite nice.

And yeah, yet another supertall. Midtown is turning into supertall central.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 12:00 PM

If it's another blue glass box building I don't see how you can get that excited. Sure on paper NYC having many supertalls is great but in reality lets be honest many are forgettable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post

Than... the proposals or prospect super talls with a very good chance of rising in the future based on needs for office/multi-use and future residential forecasts.
Good luck with that

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 1:32 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Boston Properties usually builds extremely high quality office towers, so this should be quite nice.

And yeah, yet another supertall. Midtown is turning into supertall central.
1,000 feet is the new 700 ft in New York. You just know that the Roosevelt hotel across the street will top this one. At just 750,000 sf, this tower will be just 1/3 the size of similar height new towers (The Spiral, 50 Hudson, etc). But it’s not planned to be complete until 2026. I’m sure it’ll be fully leased by then, but together with the planned 1 msf Tower Fifth (if that ever gets built) you still wouldn’t have a 2 msf blockbuster like you see going up in Hudson Yards. And there’s no more new space coming online in the next 5 years in east midtown ( there’s still a trickle of premium space available at 1 Vanderbilt). So even with everything done with the rezoning, east midtown is still far behind HY in terms of new space becoming available. Everything else in midtown, including the Penn District further west, has to go through approvals, demo, etc., and that takes time.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 1:44 PM

So, NYguy I imagined a 1,300 ft tower but I was not mistaken that the tower could have been around 1,000 ft. Great!

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 2:07 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Illustration by Mtoltethys

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHigher View Post
If it's another blue glass box building I don't see how you can get that excited.
Excited about the ever-growing list of supertalls, but yeah, I wish the all-glass buildings would at least try colors other than blue. I do realize that they look blue mainly because the sky is blue, but it's easy enough to use tinted glass.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 3:14 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

This is gonna be a thick tower. That footprint is quite large.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 3:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:
This is gonna be a thick tower. That footprint is quite large.
I was thinking the opposite. It’s a pretty small, shallow parcel.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 3:30 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I wonder if they'll seek to acquire the remaining buildings on the block.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 4:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I think the Yale Club is landmarked.

I hope that the building is not a box but has setbacks on the north and south facades as it rises. For the most part, the plot is too shallow for setbacks on the East or West facades.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 4:53 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:

The Yale Club is a landmarked building. What we’re seeing is pretty much what we’re gonna get. A little higher than I expected, but the 55 floors at this height puts it right on par with 1 Vanderbilt. It will be a tall shaft, with an orientation that fits the fuller side on the skyline. Those older graphics are a little misleading in that they show the taller Vanderbilt. But this will reach a little higher than the observation deck.

The Vanderbilt deck is around 1,020 ft. So it will rise basically to the top shaded area, which represents the deck.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 5:02 PM

I think this would be a good place for a slim, imposing, monolithic office building. I wouldn't mind a rectangle here. 1 Vanderbilt has those horizantal terracotta bands so maybe in the interest of context they could implement some kind of vertical facade element that meshes well. 100 East 53rd by Foster comes to mind.

Trump World is another prime example, although given what this building will replace I hope they will consider some kind of masonry component, at least at the base.

Both of these are residential towers of course, but they're what come to mind for what will eventually rise from this rectangular plot.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 5:39 PM
BANNED

If this isn't a massing model, and it, in fact, looks like Trump World Tower, it will suck.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 11:11 PM
New Yorker for life

One of the things I love about this tower, along with the rest of the towers going up in this area, as well as the Hudson Yards, and the Empire Station district, is the direct connection to transit, which is really the lifeblood of the city.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2020, 12:38 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Meh.

More fantastic pre-war buildings biting the dust. These buildings may not be particularly ornate or worthy of landmark status, but they're part of a uniquely NYC vernacular. Cities like Philly, Chicago, and maybe a few others only have them in limited quantity.

How much longer does this have to continue before you, Crawford, et al. start growing concerned? Do you guys really think 74 Trinity was a fair trade-off? It's boring and doesn't even make an impact on the skyline.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals