HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
Here's the Skytrain disruption report that has more details. I think they're upgrading the system as well?
The requirement to manually re-enter trains seems a bit absurd to me for a system that has over 40 years of development behind it. The system must be able to communicate and identify trains anywhere in the system, one would think it would be a relatively straightforward matter to put all the trains into an "identify yourself" mode, collect all the responses and repopulate it's track occupancy status.

Is it merely a matter of paying for what could be an "optional feature" in the software?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 2:13 AM
SkyTrain Nut

From what I can tell, yes. I only blame its existence likely on some sort of limitation in the 70's/80's.
In BCRTC's defense, they've really only needed it twice and both were in the span of a week.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 2:35 AM

With no direct knowledge of the actual system I would assume it's ultimately a limitation of the hardware, one simply can't just flash new firmware. That should change once the new OCC is in service.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 7:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
The requirement to manually re-enter trains seems a bit absurd to me for a system that has over 40 years of development behind it. The system must be able to communicate and identify trains anywhere in the system, one would think it would be a relatively straightforward matter to put all the trains into an "identify yourself" mode, collect all the responses and repopulate it's track occupancy status.

Is it merely a matter of paying for what could be an "optional feature" in the software?
After the 2 system outages in 2014, one of the recommendations was to add a feature to allow trains to "self-identify" in the case of losing communication with the main control computer. Originally it was thought that this was an off-the-shelf optional auto-restart module that was in use on the Canada Line and could easily be installed, but it turned out to be a new request that required software changes to the control system.

I believe those changes were made, and they have been testing a temporary loss of communication module on some of the trains. I don't know if it can be applied to all the train models or not, and while it should reduce the problem of timed out trains it will probably not eliminate it entirely.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 2:55 AM

Train 602 is parked at the VSF yard in Coquitlam again, and I managed to grab some photos while passing by. Very sleek (with the exception of those diamond indicator light panels) and very blue

Photos by me, 2024-04-22.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 3:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpogue View Post
those diamond indicator light panels
New Mark VIs are basically an iPhone with that panel

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 4:14 AM

i do not like those diamond panels. i feel like there was a better way to make it. like one thin line going vertically. blacked out glass with the 4 lights behind that shine through when on. or something sleek.

looks bad.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 5:52 AM

Quote:
Train 602 is parked at the VSF yard in Coquitlam again, and I managed to grab some photos while passing by. Very sleek (with the exception of those diamond indicator light panels) and very blue

Photos by me, 2024-04-22.
Aren't the Mark V trains that run intermittently on the Expo Line much the same as these, perhaps with a few "tweaks?" At any rate, they're very sleek and very nice. Am I correct to assume that when the Broadway subway is finished, these will replace the small, two-car MkII trains that now run from VCC out to Lafarge? It's nice to see the network developing into a true, full-fledged subway system at any rate.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 7:37 AM

The Mark Vs will be used on the Expo Line.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
...Am I correct to assume that when the Broadway subway is finished, these will replace the small, two-car MkII trains that now run from VCC out to Lafarge?...
Quote:
Originally Posted by madog222 View Post
The Mark Vs will be used on the Expo Line.
Sure, but the V's could displace enough II's, III's and IV's from the Expo line to the Millennium line to allow retirement of the I's, so asking if the I's will be replaced is a perfectly cromulent question.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 1:06 PM

Quote:
Sure, but the V's could displace enough II's, III's and IV's from the Expo line to the Millennium line to allow retirement of the I's, so asking if the I's will be replaced is a perfectly cromulent question.
Yes, it's public information that the Mark V are replacing the entire Mark I fleet. In fact the Mark I retirement has already started, at least two or three married pairs have already been scrapped.

But no one was asking about that so...

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 9:12 PM

There's a retirement plan for the Mark IIs as well, although they haven't given a timeline or clarify about which generation of Mark II. I strongly suspect that won't happen until the early 2030s and with a few more orders of Mark V trains.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 9:37 PM

Quote:
There's a retirement plan for the Mark IIs as well, although they haven't given a timeline or clarify about which generation of Mark II. I strongly suspect that won't happen until the early 2030s and with a few more orders of Mark V trains.
Looks to be 2027-2030 for around half of the Mark IIs, I think it's safe to assume that's going to be the 2001 fleet.

Image sourced from a public Translink document.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 10:11 PM

Link

Quote:
MLA calls for new 57th Avenue bus route and Canada Line stations in Vancouver

---

Additional major public transit investments are needed to help support the new residential density rising within the Cambie Corridor, according to an MLA for the South Vancouver neighbourhood.

Michael Lee, BC United’s MLA for the riding of Vancouver-Langara, is calling on the provincial government to enact new and improved public transit services through the area.

This includes the creation of a new east-west TransLink bus route along 57th Avenue and improved services for the buses that run along 49th Avenue and 41st Avenue.

“Over many years, I have been hearing from residents of the need to have bus service on 57th Avenue going east and west so that people of all ages, including seniors, families and young people, can travel more easily through South Vancouver, including to the new Marpole Oakridge Community Centre being built at Oak Street and 59th Avenue and healthcare services being centralized at the Pearson Dogwood development,” Lee told Daily Hive Urbanized in a statement.

Additionally, Lee wants to realize two “future” subway station sites along SkyTrain Canada Line, where it intersects with 33rd Avenue...

... The idea of a 57th Avenue bus route has been floated before over the years, but TransLink and the Mayors’ Council have not prioritized it in their near-term service improvement plans...

... A 2014 preliminary cost estimate by TransLink pegged the construction cost of 57th Avenue Station at $90 million. Due to the engineering complexities of building on an active underground tunnel, the construction timeline may take at least 10 years to ensure disruptions to passengers are kept at a relative minimum. Such costs have likely significantly grown ever since...
Think you'd have to connect both ends of 57th across the golf course for any kind of bus to make sense.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
Link

Think you'd have to connect both ends of 57th across the golf course for any kind of bus to make sense.
Michael Lee should consider posting in the fantasy transit thread

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcj View Post
Michael Lee should consider posting in the fantasy transit thread
The article does say that ONNI contributed $20M to the cost of the station, plus the reservation of a site for the stationhouse.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2024, 2:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madog222 View Post
Yes, it's public information that the Mark V are replacing the entire Mark I fleet. In fact the Mark I retirement has already started, at least two or three married pairs have already been scrapped.

But no one was asking about that so...
Oh, he was asking about Mark II's, not I's. Duh, my bad.

Personally, I see no reason not to run the mark II's for 40 years like we did with the Mark I's. Get your money's worth outta them, I say.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2024, 3:13 PM

I love the seating arrangement on the 2001 Mark II's (1100-1200 series). double seats makes it easier for my wheelchair to be secure in the wheelchair or when walking, extra seat space as I am heavy weight.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2024, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Me, I'd love nothing better for Skytrain than to see the Mark I trains (they're like toys) retired totally ASAP. They served their purpose when the system first opened, but are not appropriate for a major rrt system.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2024, 4:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
Link

no reason it cant be done. Central Park in NYC is the best example of streets crossing a park, without any loss to the park. would work in Stanley Park as well. we just lack vision.

or just do a full tunnel.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure