HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Mar 10, 2024, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
Cellmapper shows a bunch of orange which means the reception isn't great there for Freedom. It's only a micro tower site so you probably aren't evening connecting to those nearby towers.
Might be accentuated by the trench 29th avenue station is in

Old Posted Mar 10, 2024, 5:58 PM

Most cell providers are saturating neighbourhoods with those localized cellular microsites in areas which have bad coverage.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2024, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Most cell providers are saturating neighbourhoods with those localized cellular microsites in areas which have bad coverage.
That's a result of the 5G rollout. The benefits of 5G are predicated on microsites that don't have to share as many active connections and which use higher frequencies that carry more bandwidth but have less penetration through objects.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2024, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
That's a result of the 5G rollout. The benefits of 5G are predicated on microsites that don't have to share as many active connections and which use higher frequencies that carry more bandwidth but have less penetration through objects.
I guess that gets into the distinction with our current 5G networks and 5G mmWave..

They're currently targeting areas that traditionally have reception issues with the microcells (the North Shore has received a lot of them) Once mmWave gets deployed you assume microcells will blanket the entire city.

https://www.rcrwireless.com/20230821...ectrum-auction

Old Posted Mar 10, 2024, 8:03 PM

Quote:
I guess that gets into the distinction with our current 5G networks and 5G mmWave.
I've always assumed that we'll end up with mmWave micro cell sites down every back lane of the city as the various network providers seek to sever the most expensive "last 50 feet" of the wired network.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2024, 8:17 PM

Yeah higher bands have higher datarates but lower range

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 8:51 PM

I had not ridden the Expo Line for about 6-7 months, and so I don't know when marketing contraband or stolen cigarettes at the station entrances became a thing. At the New West station, a guy had a sign selling cigarette packs for $5, and he was flanked by a lot of really sketchy looking people. At the Commercial Station, there was a guy loudly announcing "weed and cigarettes for sale!" every few moments to passers-by. He too had a cadre of 5-6 people next to him also.

Did Translink do a concession deal with some gang? (j/k)

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 9:07 PM
be nice to the crackheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
I had not ridden the Expo Line for about 6-7 months, and so I don't know when marketing contraband or stolen cigarettes at the station entrances became a thing. At the New West station, a guy had a sign selling cigarette packs for $5, and he was flanked by a lot of really sketchy looking people. At the Commercial Station, there was a guy loudly announcing "weed and cigarettes for sale!" every few moments to passers-by. He too had a cadre of 5-6 people next to him also.

Did Translink do a concession deal with some gang? (j/k)
The cigarette/weed guy showed up last fall, but there's always been rotating retail of the black market variety outside of Commercial Station. In the summer, a couple of guys sell t-shirts outside.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 9:22 PM

Only started seeing the New West guy a few months ago. There's always sketchy people hanging out around New West station (and Columbia station), never really noticed them explicitly around this guy. Not really surprised the NW cops aren't doing anything, they'll only respond if you call 911 (non-emergency is a joke).

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcj View Post
Only started seeing the New West guy a few months ago. There's always sketchy people hanging out around New West station (and Columbia station), never really noticed them explicitly around this guy.
What time of day? I regularly go to New West station around mid-day and haven't seen this.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2024, 12:32 PM

I've seen a guy with 4 used crackpipes on an outbound expo train on my way to school a couple weeks ago

Old Posted Mar 16, 2024, 2:37 PM
(daka_x)

There's a TikTok channel that's been frequently posting videos witnessing a person openly smoking on Expo Line trains.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2024, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
What time of day? I regularly go to New West station around mid-day and haven't seen this.
Afternoon, between 4 - 6:30 PM

Old Posted Mar 16, 2024, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
Afternoon, between 4 - 6:30 PM
I would be there well before then so no surprise I haven't seen it. Over the years I've seen plenty of 'interesting' things on and around Skytrain.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2024, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xd_1771 View Post
There's a TikTok channel that's been frequently posting videos witnessing a person openly smoking on Expo Line trains.
I saw an instagram post from safestreetsvancouver featuring a guy smoking meth on the skytrain

Old Posted Mar 18, 2024, 2:49 AM

2024-03-17

Vancouver e-Bus Marpole depot

DSC00262 by Lexus RX350, on Flickr

DSC00263 by Lexus RX350, on Flickr

Burnaby Edmonds expansion

DSC00308 by Lexus RX350, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 12:13 AM

How much use does the up escalator from Burrard platform 2 get on an average basis?

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 2:25 PM

As someone with a disability and elevators being out of service, the elderly etc. Down escalators are needed at ALL stations as well as 3 escalators per level so there is always a up and down escalator available. Also 2 elevators are also needed so wheelchair users always have access to trains etc.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2024, 12:44 PM

I don't get why some people don't understand stairway etiquette. I was walking up the right side of the stairs going out of Burrard station the other day and some lady was going down that same side and acted like I was wrong

Old Posted Mar 20, 2024, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cganuelas1995 View Post
I don't get why some people don't understand stairway etiquette. I was walking up the right side of the stairs going out of Burrard station the other day and some lady was going down that same side and acted like I was wrong
Maybe they're from another country where they stand/walk on the left?

Ron.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure