HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jan 26, 2024, 7:15 PM

100 grand plus may have sounded impressive 30 years ago, but it’s the norm for a lot of people nowadays.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2024, 7:53 PM

The average salary last year was $65k (yes, in CAD). Personally I've stopped caring, but I can easily see why many people think the supervisors are being a little entitled.

On a side note, Unifor thinks CMBC is full of it.
Quote:
“I have been very clear with our members: they are not going to pay the price for CMBC’s inability to get their house in order,” said Lana Payne, Unifor National President. “We encourage CMBC to get back to the bargaining table and find a solution before further disruptions occur.”

Transit supervisors represented by CUPE 4500 are negotiating a new contract with CMBC and legal job action resulted in a system-wide bus service shutdown on January 22 and 23, 2024.

“Unifor members are not on strike, but the employer took steps that prevented transit operators and maintenance staff from doing their job for two days,” said Unifor Western Regional Director Gavin McGarrigle. “Coast Mountain has mishandled negotiations and the effects are snowballing. The employer must reach a fair contract with supervisors and ensure no Unifor members are financially penalized.”

Old Posted Jan 26, 2024, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
How much did you make per year processor?
Processor?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2024, 8:03 PM

Metro Vancouver transit strike hearing delayed

Quote:
The hearing that was scheduled for Monday regarding the Metro Vancouver transit job action has been delayed.

It has been pushed back by two days to Wednesday, Jan. 31.

The BC Labour Board Relations hearing was requested by CUPE 4500 to see if it could expand picket lines to include SkyTrain stations and facilities.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2024, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
The average salary last year was $65k (yes, in CAD). Personally I've stopped caring, but I can easily see why many people think the supervisors are being a little entitled.

On a side note, Unifor thinks CMBC is full of it.
Bear in mind a union is pretty much never under any circumstances going to come out and say "other union wrong, other union bad". It's about that solidarity, to the bitter end.

If CUPE 4500 came out tomorrow and said they're not going back to work unless CMBC converts all their busses into airplanes, Unifor might as well come out and say, "And they should have done it years ago!".

Old Posted Feb 1, 2024, 11:59 PM

CUPE and CBMC have agreed to the mediators recommendation so there should be no more job action.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madog222 View Post
CUPE and CBMC have agreed to the mediators recommendation so there should be no more job action.
I believe the negotiators have come to an agreement, but it still needs to go to a union vote. Not counting eggs before they hatch into chickens yet.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 12:07 AM

^Correct, they need membership ratification.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2024, 2:12 AM

Re: the stalled Canada Line train wreaking havoc on the Friday evening commute today.

Just saw a 4 car train set pass by. I think one train was actually towing the other (presuming the stalled train), thought it an interesting sight despite my commute taking almost 3 times as long tonight.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2024, 6:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teriyaki View Post
Just saw a 4 car train set pass by. I think one train was actually towing the other (presuming the stalled train)
Well, that's one way to do it!

Old Posted Feb 7, 2024, 1:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
100 grand plus may have sounded impressive 30 years ago, but it’s the norm for a lot of people nowadays.
Sure, but with Grade 12 only?

Old Posted Feb 7, 2024, 1:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Sure, but with Grade 12 only?
According to Indeed, the average server makes $47,230 per year before their (mostly) untaxed tips, which are usually at least the same as their wage.

Not to mention all the news stories of UPS drivers clearing over $200k Canadian.

I'd say it's possible, heck, even common place nowadays for a Grade 12 only to net you $100k+ in many positions, especially those where you're a supervisor.

And thanks to the requirement the NDP put in place for job advertisements to include salary ranges we can see that even a restaurant manager will clear $100k per year PLUS TIPS

If $100k sounds like a lot to you, I'd probably recommend searching for a new job...

Old Posted Feb 7, 2024, 2:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcj View Post
According to Indeed, the average server makes $47,230 per year before their (mostly) untaxed tips, which are usually at least the same as their wage.

Not to mention all the news stories of UPS drivers clearing over $200k Canadian.

I'd say it's possible, heck, even common place nowadays for a Grade 12 only to net you $100k+ in many positions, especially those where you're a supervisor.

And thanks to the requirement the NDP put in place for job advertisements to include salary ranges we can see that even a restaurant manager will clear $100k per year PLUS TIPS

If $100k sounds like a lot to you, I'd probably recommend searching for a new job...
Bear in mind that the UPS drivers "200k" amount was the total compensation they were to get, with all benefits and pension calculated. If you were to do the same thing for the bus supervisors, you're likely to get a similar number.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ups-dri...-compensation/

Quote:
By the end of the new contract, full-time UPS delivery drivers will make an average of $49 per hour, which works out to nearly $102,000 per year, assuming a 40-hour workweek, 52 weeks a year. Those employees are guaranteed an eight-hour workday, a UPS spokesperson told CBS MoneyWatch.

Drivers also receive $50,000 in benefits "that include health, welfare and pension contributions," the spokesperson said.
Also I don't know if saying "plus their untaxed tips" is making the point you want to make. You're literally saying that the only way they clear 100k is to defraud taxpayers.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2024, 5:58 PM

The "UPS driver makes $200k" is probably insane amounts of overtime. Restaurant managers making $100k aren't mailing in 35 hour weeks either.

It's all relative. Making $100k to sit in a climate controlled office and post on SSP is a little different.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2024, 6:10 PM

Quote:

I have a mortgage free house, but thanks for the concern.

It just seems odd that we pay teachers a starting salary of @ $60k and require a lot more schooling.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2024, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
I have a mortgage free house, but thanks for the concern.

It just seems odd that we pay teachers a starting salary of @ $60k and require a lot more schooling.
Ah I see, you're just disconnected from the reality of the workforce these days. Getting a mortgage on that house you have would require multiple times a salary of $100k.

And yeah, we do under pay teachers, although every time they threaten to strike they also have received the same vitriol that transit workers do and end up accepting a bad deal on salary increases.

Education =/ a good paying job, and no post-secondary education =/ a low paying job.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2024, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Education =/ a good paying job, and no post-secondary education =/ a low paying job.
I was always taught growing up that education = a comfortable job, not necessarily a high paying job.

Compare a teacher's job to a bus driver's job and the comfort level is pretty clear.

(Bus supervisors seem to have a cushy job so I don't have as much sympathy)

Old Posted Feb 7, 2024, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowhou View Post
I was always taught growing up that education = a comfortable job, not necessarily a high paying job.

Compare a teacher's job to a bus driver's job and the comfort level is pretty clear.

(Bus supervisors seem to have a cushy job so I don't have as much sympathy)
To me it doesn't matter what the job is, averages wages for working people are way too low and have not kept pace with productivity and the inflation of capital assets. We're overdue for a correction and wage suppression is just delaying that correction. Even with these supervisor salaries, you'd be lucky to qualify for a mortgage on a 2 bedroom condo in the suburbs. Perhaps direct your sympathy towards those positions that are highly underpaid, rather than encouraging the suppression of wages with them.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2024, 9:30 PM

It is too bad that many current societies are held hostage by unions, which have pretty much lost a lot of their original purpose to fight for workers' basic rights. They now act more like corporate gangsters.

"We will not hesitate to harm you and others if you don't give us what we want"

This is also one of the reasons why the western world has lost its competitiveness when it comes to work efficiencies including manufacturing and production.

Well, every empire has its downfall right? It is a repetitive process throughout the course of human history.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2024, 10:38 PM

We could always ditch unions and let employers gradually slide transit wages back to $32.40/week ($545.63/week in '23), should the voters wish it so.

As it stands now, there's no guarantee the bus operators get their way 100%.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure