HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jan 25, 2024, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
Could the conversation about bike move from the transit thread?
I agree, the cycling discussion belongs in the cycling thread.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2024, 5:17 PM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by madog222 View Post
I agree, the cycling discussion belongs in the cycling thread.
Moved my response over there.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2024, 5:52 PM

Transit strike escalation could last 72 hours and include almost all services: union

The union representing transit workers in Metro Vancouver is warning commuters that strike action could escalate if a deal is not reached by 12:01 a.m. on Feb. 3.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2024, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Transit strike escalation could last 72 hours and include almost all services: union

The union representing transit workers in Metro Vancouver is warning commuters that strike action could escalate if a deal is not reached by 12:01 a.m. on Feb. 3.
It feels to me like CUPE 4500 is trying its hardest to spread FUD as a tactic by trying to either trick people into believing Skytrain will be going on strike or making them uncertain about its reliability.

They might as well be saying "Transit strike could blockade Highway 1!", "Transit strike could set fire to buildings!", "Transit strike could lead to the proletariat revolution!".

Until the LRB makes a ruling on picketing Skytrain, what the union says can be safely disregarded as far as I'm concerned.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2024, 7:36 PM

So far I’ve heard nobody explain what a Transit Supervisor actually does, here or in the media. All I’ve seen is “smooth daily transit operations”. For an ask of over $100k per worker per year we deserve a more detailed description than that.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2024, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
So far I’ve heard nobody explain what a Transit Supervisor actually does, here or in the media. All I’ve seen is “smooth daily transit operations”. For an ask of over $100k per worker per year we deserve a more detailed description than that.
Honestly, the more I find out about transit supervisors the more I think they're being overpaid.

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/h...rences-8153148

Quote:
CMBC Transit Supervisor

Two years of experience as a Bus Operator required
Grade 12 graduation or equivalent education required
Unionized position

Job description:

Acts as front-line supervisory contact for Transit Operators in the field
Monitors bus service, schedules, and frequencies
Makes decisions and recommendations to change (bus) running times to ensure continuity and frequency of service
Provides advice and input to scheduling staff on route schedule changes
Responds to requests for on-site incidents and accidents involving transit customers, operators and vehicles
Providing on-site support service for motor vehicle accidents
Assisting with service restoration following disruptions due to fires, downed wires, serious traffic blockages, snow conditions, road closures, SkyTrain and commuter rail shutdown, etc.
Provides advice and assistance to passengers regarding routes and schedules and handling on-site complaints
Enforces transit policy and practices
Provides advice to and assists Transit Operators in the interpretation and understanding of rules and regulations

Old Posted Jan 25, 2024, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowhou View Post
Honestly, the more I find out about transit supervisors the more I think they're being overpaid.

They should rename them Bus Driver Service Buddies.

Last edited by jollyburger; Jan 26, 2024 at 1:22 AM.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2024, 1:04 AM

do they get $90 an hour? i heard that number somewhere, and they are asking for $115?

it screwed us up at work the two days they were off last week, three days will be awful.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2024, 1:43 AM

Quote:
As I understand it they deal with any disturbance to service, for example rerouting buses around a road closure due to major construction or a police incent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
do they get $90 an hour? i heard that number somewhere, and they are asking for $115?

it screwed us up at work the two days they were off last week, three days will be awful.
Those numbers are right but as salary, currently make ~90k/yr and are asking for $115/yr which would roughly match BCRTC (Skytrain) supervisors I'm told.

Last edited by madog222; Jan 26, 2024 at 2:00 AM.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2024, 2:58 AM
SkyTrain Nut

That's mental. Does anyone who frequents this section of the forums make even half that?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2024, 3:05 AM

Quote:
As I understand it they deal with any disturbance to service, for example rerouting buses around a road closure due to major construction or a police incent.

Those numbers are right but as salary, currently make ~90k/yr and are asking for $115/yr which would roughly match BCRTC (Skytrain) supervisors I'm told.
It's an hourly rate of around $50. Bus drivers earn around $28, but can get as much as $43 an hour, according to Glassdoor.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2024, 4:38 AM

Quote:

Gee,.....
They really could have used a couple of those this evening at the sh*tshow that was the Joyce skytrain Station shuttle buses (for the skytrain "medical emergency" this evening) re-route.

It was a disaster with masses of people not knowing where to go, bus drivers also seemingly in the dark and a couple of token Transit cops who couldn't have done anything if the situation descended into chaos.

It was easier (And way faster) just to uber or literally walk from Joyce to Royal Oak than wait to get onto any bus.

Isn't today's mess exactly the kind of situation they're paid to be on top of before they even start demanding payrises?

Between this and the train catching fire yesterday at a Surrey station, and the bus strikes on Monday and Tuesday, it's not exactly been a banner week for Translink/Vancouver Transit services.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2024, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIPS View Post
That's mental. Does anyone who frequents this section of the forums make even half that?
You think members of this forum top out at $55/year?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2024, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
You think members of this forum top out at $55/year?
Maybe it's a typo and he's talking about $55/hour

Everyone on the strike line at the SeaBus (not sure if they are transit supervisors or just SeaBus staff) were parked with Jaguar and Mercedes SUVs by the loop entrance

Old Posted Jan 26, 2024, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spr0ckets View Post
Isn't today's mess exactly the kind of situation they're paid to be on top of before they even start demanding payrises?
One of the other major aspects of the negotiations between CUPE 4500 and CMBC is about hiring more supervisors so that they can better respond to situations like these. Right now, the union says supervisors end up working more overtime than normal hours, and depending on the time of day there might be a single supervisor on shift for an entire depot.

As an example, if there's a supervisor responsible for PoCo Transit Centre, those bus routes range from Kootenay Loop at the edge of Vancouver (160) to Mission City (701), and from Belcarra (182) to Newton Exchange in Surrey (R1). If that supervisor is dealing with detours for an MVA in Pitt Meadows, and they suddenly need a SkyTrain bus bridge, it's going to take time to get on scene.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2024, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIPS View Post
If they're unionized and a bureaucrat? I've little doubt they make at least as much as transit supers.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2024, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowhou View Post

&110k a year with just a Grade 12 education required? Who do they think they are, longshoremen?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2024, 6:32 PM
Joshua B.

Quote:
&110k a year with just a Grade 12 education required? Who do they think they are, longshoremen?
I would say they are similar to the longshoremen in terms of their hiring process. It's impossible for anyone to get into that supervisor role unless you are an immediate family member or really connected well to someone within. It's a really chill job aside from the sporadic incidents that occur throughout the day. It's not uncommon to have days where you just idle around and respond to a call or two.

Honestly, I wish they would require some certification or degrees to just weed out the nepotistic hires.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2024, 7:06 PM
SkyTrain Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
Maybe it's a typo and he's talking about $55/hour
Changing City clarified it a bit more, but it still blows my mind that a supervisor could of made that kind of money with on a a high-school education. Most people I know at that tier to this day are still working minimum wage on shop floors, retail and construction.

Including me. :c

Old Posted Jan 26, 2024, 7:14 PM

Quote:
How much did you make per year processor?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure