HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Photos

Old Posted Jun 2, 2024, 4:36 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
I think it's a huge loss, and wish that the govt responsible had had more foresight and had instead invested to save the building rather than demolish. As you said, there was probably a business case for providing more parking/loading space for the Canada Post (Dominion Public Building) facility at the time.
I don't think historical preservationism was a thing in the 1950s.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2024, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I don't think historical preservationism was a thing in the 1950s.
Absolutely, especially in Halifax. In fact I would argue that it’s just barely getting a start in Halifax now, in 2024.

Just musing about how much better that corner would be if the presence of that ornate stone building still remained. After all, the two adjacent buildings did actually survive the ravages of time and the wrecking ball.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2024, 11:23 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
I think it's a huge loss, and wish that the govt responsible had had more foresight and had instead invested to save the building rather than demolish. As you said, there was probably a business case for providing more parking/loading space for the Canada Post (Dominion Public Building) facility at the time.
This area has improved a lot in recent years with the TD reno, Queen's Marque, and now Press Block. I wonder if there will be more of a push to improve things as the city grows and fills in. It's still possible to restore the post office and rebuild the customs house. Of course, it would be almost purely a heritage project since the price per square foot of new space rebuilt would be so high.

I don't like the AGNS reno much; the post office was designed as a monumental four storey building with four high quality facades. George/Carmichael Street as a whole has a lot of potential but is pretty lackluster overall. The approach to the town clock looks like something you'd see in a small town, and the lighting on Brunswick Street looks like it's for a suburban arterial. These are some of the top architectural landmarks in the city.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2024, 1:27 AM
Halifax Promoter!

I remember many years ago, a developer wanted to completely redo the Old CIBC building and the Royal Bank Building, completely rebuilding it....I believe he was from Europe and saw the potential of Halifax and at the time it was refused.... now it would probably go through, done even better, meanwhile this stays without anything being done.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2024, 1:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddifax View Post
I remember many years ago, a developer wanted to completely redo the Old CIBC building and the Royal Bank Building, completely rebuilding it....I believe he was from Europe and saw the potential of Halifax and at the time it was refused.... now it would probably go through, done even better, meanwhile this stays without anything being done.
Actually he wanted to completely redevelop the Bank of Montreal and old Central Trust Block. He took his funds back to Germany when the Province committed to the new Convention Center.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Photos