HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Photos

Old Posted Dec 22, 2021, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Great find.
Looking through some of his other posts of 1965 Halifax reveals views of buildings and streets that I have never seen before. Thanks so much for sharing.
It's a shame they are on Instagram as I have never found a way to get photos there to be saved in a large enough format to be very useful.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2021, 3:05 AM
Halifax Promoter!

A lot of those pictures from that link are not from here though.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2021, 4:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
It's a shame they are on Instagram as I have never found a way to get photos there to be saved in a large enough format to be very useful.
Today was the first time I used instagram, ever, and I was wondering if they were available in a larger format, but it appears the site will shrink or expand all photos uploaded to a particular size, which isn't all that large. They are big enough to see some detail, but yeah, I'd rather be able to blow them up to read signs, etc.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2021, 4:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddifax View Post
A lot of those pictures from that link are not from here though.
A lot of them appear to be from Poland (where the poster is from), but there were still around 16 photos of Halifax in 1965, which gave me views I hadn't seen before. I can be a little geeky about that sort of thing, so it probably isn't as exciting to anybody else here as it is to me...

Old Posted Dec 23, 2021, 6:22 AM

Quote:
A lot of them appear to be from Poland (where the poster is from), but there were still around 16 photos of Halifax in 1965, which gave me views I hadn't seen before. I can be a little geeky about that sort of thing, so it probably isn't as exciting to anybody else here as it is to me...
Ukraine, I think - one of the photo sets seems to be of Kiev, and most Polish people wouldn't write in Cyrillic. Could be both, though.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2021, 12:04 PM

I assumed they were taken by a cold war-era Russian spy visiting here on a ship.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2021, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
Ukraine, I think - one of the photo sets seems to be of Kiev, and most Polish people wouldn't write in Cyrillic. Could be both, though.
Thanks for the correction, Hali. I was using google translate and a couple of the non-Halifax photos I looked at had translated to being in Poland. However, the photographer was a Ukrainian paramedic, according to the post, so I'm sure you are right. I'm not familiar with Cryllic, so it may as well be kanji for my ability to recognize it...

Regardless, great photos of Halifax! I'm hoping he has more that he will post at a later time.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2021, 10:31 PM

His pictures look like he was a part of the Eastern Bloc fishing fleets that were all over the North Atlantic during the 60's and 70's. They used to have an agreement to visit Halifax for fresh supplies and small repairs. No doubt a little spying or casual observations went on at the same time.

My Dad used to be an RCAF Officer with an eyes only security clearance in the day and some comments eaking out of his now 84 year old tongue are interesting to say the least. It Seems the Russian Sub fleet used to be WAY closer than most Canadians think.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2021, 2:06 PM

I wonder if this collection of images has any pics of these two?

Old Posted Dec 26, 2021, 6:05 AM

Quote:
Looking through some of his other posts of 1965 Halifax reveals views of buildings and streets that I have never seen before. Thanks so much for sharing.
Another great pic from the set is this one taken at the corner of Jacob and Barrington Streets. In the background you can see the IOOF building that was discussed on page 63 of this thread.

At the very left is the Buckingham Tavern, which has also been discussed here in the past.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2021, 2:45 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Another great pic from the set is this one taken at the corner of Jacob and Barrington Streets. In the background you can see the IOOF building that was discussed on page 63 of this thread.

At the very left is the Buckingham Tavern, which has also been discussed here in the past.

Maybe the Buckingham Tavern will be recreated in the Cogswell plan.....

Old Posted Dec 26, 2021, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
Maybe the Buckingham Tavern will be recreated in the Cogswell plan.....
Our municipal overlords would need to resurrect the name Buckingham Street first, which they seem strangely unwilling to do. Such a great name.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2021, 9:19 PM

I have noticed that the Halifax Municipal Archives has moved their searchable database to another host and this has resulted in many pics I've posted recently (and their archives links) to no longer appear in this thread.

The new site also doesn't seem to be as friendly for hosting photos to post, or linking directly to the photo. For this reason (and the time required) I probably won't go back and re-host the photos I've posted in the past, and am not sure how to do it moving forward. Uploading their photos to a hosting site is an option, and I think it complies with their usage terms, but it does take more time to do so.

Just thought I'd let everyone know in case they've noticed that pics from past posts have disappeared.

Here's the new link to the archives database: https://7046.sydneyplus.com/archive/.../Default.aspx?

Old Posted Dec 28, 2021, 7:02 PM

A few more pics from 1965, posted on Instagram, showing the old Barrington Streetscape that has been mostly revised with new/rebuilt/restored facades. I find it interesting that The Roy building once housed two small department stores, in The Metropolitan and Woolworth's.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2022, 6:07 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Old Posted Jan 11, 2022, 2:16 PM

Nice shots. Looks like the lot on the corner of Sackville and Lower Water has been vacant for a long time!

There's a nice little rundown of the Halifax street car system in the blog post that's linked on the second twitter post:
https://trolleytuesdays.blogspot.com...ax-street.html

Old Posted Mar 6, 2022, 6:16 AM

Photo below from the Noticed In Nova Scotia blog:

The location is the corner of Barrington and South, next to the Henry House. I don't actually recall the building, though in 1977 (when the photo was taken) Halifax still had a lot of similar old masonry buildings, so I wouldn't have paid much attention to it at the time.

At the bottom of the blog post was some interesting info about the building:
Quote:
Extra

My social media friend John van Gurp has sent some first hand memories about the brick building that started this post. His direct experiences with the building when he worked in real estate for the Federal Government gives a special glimpse into a building that didn’t get the public notice it deserved.

I was involved with the building at South and Barrington when I was managing real estate for the feds. It was the former Maritime Command Building when we were tasked with selling it, and despite many months of marketing and being extremely flexible on the price we were unable to find a buyer who would adapt it for reuse… what a shame, it was such a gorgeous and interesting building. My understanding is that it was built as a hostel for returning soldiers after WW1, which all made sense as it had the remnants of a bowling alley in the basement, a theater upstairs, and was set up almost like a hotel with all smaller rooms and large multi-head washrooms with showers on each floor. There was a light well in the middle too.

When I had it as a surplus federal property after DND was done with it, many of these features were walled over and sort of hidden away, but looking in old closets and in dark rooms you could see it all.

The theatre had been converted into a “War Room” with a giant map of the Atlantic Ocean and little stick pin flags and labels like in Dr. Strangelove. I wasn’t sure if that was an actual artifact (someone said the Battle of Atlantic was run from that room) or if it was a prop from a movie that was filmed there at one point, which I also heard.

Speaking of movies, during the surplus period I licensed the building out to Major Crime Productions (Salter Street Films) and they filmed for a few weeks. It was set as a gritty old downtown Toronto police station and it could not have been better… there were even old black telephones, desks with rubber stamp carousels, and a fingerprinting station and more all left over from DND.

I did as much background research as possible to support a low price and to work with any developer who could come up with an adaptive reuse, but despite a couple of the more creative developers doing a thorough investigation they just couldn’t make the numbers work or something, so it went to the smash-it-down developer instead, with the sad result we have today.

During the sale process I met with Bernie Smith and Paul Donovan of Salter Street Films. This was when Paul and Michael were making a pitch to program Canada’s national comedy TV channel… Paul saw the MARCOM sign over the front door (Maritime Command) and said “That’s it! This is meant to be… we’ll leave that sign for when we operate the Maritime Comedy Channel from the building!” Sadly their bid lost to someone else and the plans didn’t come to fruition.

I had the building’s door keys and for the year or more that it was surplus I would go there and walk around and soak it all in, all alone, or with my daughter who was just a wee tot at the time. They kept it heated to around 20C the whole time with the giant boilers roaring. It would have been an amazing homeless shelter or affordable housing property. Looking back I wish I was a photographer at that time to have documented some of this.
What is there now - same view in 2019 from Google Maps:
https://goo.gl/maps/ErWzXWt7wEjMCqUC7

Old Posted Mar 6, 2022, 12:48 PM

I do recall the building. It was always a bit of a mystery as you never saw much activity in or around it. For a while in the '80s or '90s it had a blue wooden sign just above the doorway indicating "Maritime Command" but with no indication of what it was used for.

The thing now there is hideous of course. I guess the decision to dispose of it by the Feds was just a few years too soon for it to be considered viable for reuse in some other form. I do not recall the Heritage Trust or the Peggy Camerons of the city raising their voices to try to save it.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2022, 1:29 PM

I'm not sure if we have ever seen this image before, but on FB in the Old Halifax and Nova Scotia Pictures group this interior shot of North Station recently appeared, showing the "Flying Bluenose" about to set off for Yarmouth on the Dominion and Atlantic Railway line. The photo is from the Canada Science and Technology Museum which, sadly, purports to have a large digital archive but most of it consists of broken links.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2022, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I do recall the building. It was always a bit of a mystery as you never saw much activity in or around it. For a while in the '80s or '90s it had a blue wooden sign just above the doorway indicating "Maritime Command" but with no indication of what it was used for.

The thing now there is hideous of course. I guess the decision to dispose of it by the Feds was just a few years too soon for it to be considered viable for reuse in some other form. I do not recall the Heritage Trust or the Peggy Camerons of the city raising their voices to try to save it.
I worked there for a few years and we had use of the area that was the stage or screen of the theatre. It had a huge map of the North Atlantic that was used to chart ships and planes. Think of the movies where people are climbing ladders to move ship locations.

They filmed a WW2 period piece while we were there and actually rebuilt the ladder for the map that was attached to a rail with wheels at the base.

It may have been repurposed during WW2 or during the Cold War. And was replaced by D201 on the dockyard. I think the PMQs near Gorsebrook school were for the Service members that worked at the building.

While it was a mess of hallways and stairs resulting from its repurpose from the theatre and the heat was either on or off,…it was built like a fortress. I recall hearing that the developer who bought it,…one of the Ramias…had difficulty tearing it down.

It would have been a beautiful set of lofts if someone had the inspiration to save it. The building that replaced it is probably ready to be torn down because it’s out of date and probably poorly built.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Photos