HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Two World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 15, 2020, 12:32 AM
New Yorker for life

Enough! Everyone knows how tall 3 WTC is. We're here to discuss 2 WTC.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2020, 12:56 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Enough! Everyone knows how tall 3 WTC is. We're here to discuss 2 WTC.
Right, 2WTC is more important anyway since it's arguably the second signature tower whereas 3/4 and maybe 5 are just (tall) extras.

I'm hoping for some cool sky gardens personally.

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 1:06 AM
New Yorker for life

https://commercialobserver.com/2020/...office-market/

Silverstein: NYC Will ‘Get Through This’

BY REBECCA BAIRD-REMBA
MAY 13, 2020

Quote:
Larry Silverstein believes New York City and its office market will survive the coronavirus pandemic and come back better than ever. The sentiment comes as no surprise from the man who rebuilt the World Trade Center after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, when everyone told him that no one would want to lease office space on the site where thousands had died.

“The idea that New York will no longer be needed as the center of commerce and activity is specious,” Silverstein said during Commercial Observer’s Tenant Talks webinar on Tuesday. “We’re going to get through this thing and we’re going to be a hell of a lot better and stronger for it.”
Quote:
The Silverstein Properties chairman recalled that after 9/11, “the degree of negativity that floated down around us was palpable and I felt an enormous need to counter it. One of the ways I countered it was to go right into construction on 7 World Trade Center. And as that building rose people kept telling me it would never be financed, never be tenanted. Then we got it leased and financed and it became an enormous financial success and an architectural success.”

He added “there are always a million naysayers around, there are always those who will tell you, ‘You’ll never recover from this, the city will never be the same. Our lives are forever changed.’ And happily, it’s not the case. I don’t think New York will change that extraordinarily.”
Quote:
The 88-year-old developer believes newer properties like the World Trade Center complex, which offers tenants more purified air than most older buildings, will continue to draw companies looking for more clean, healthful space operated by responsible landlords. Silverstein said he’s looking at new cleaning protocols, ways to enforce social distancing in small areas like elevators, and temperature readers at the building entrances.

Two World Trade Center will soon be a reality, and it will embody the forefront of virus-resistant and touchless tech, he said.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 1:44 AM
BANNED

This sounds promising!

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 3:02 AM

I am hoping for just a slight redesign of the original. I think it would look better if the diamonds started higher up in the front of the building so the pitch wouldn't look as steep.

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 5:24 AM

I hate to be a party pooper, but this article about Covid 19 and the possible new norm, seems interesting but hopefully it won’t affect WTC2

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/12/n...from-home.html

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 5:45 AM
JoeCooper

I'm just hoping it pays homage to the original 2WTC in some aspect, in roof height or maybe even surpasses it. I recall several years ago it was even listed as 1,355 feet to the roof and approximately 1,428 to the tip of the diamond. Design wise it should be epic though! Despite the 'stairwell plan' I could honestly see this being the tallest by roof and between the four towers it looks like a hand giving a giant you know what.

Either way, this a a huge opportunity to incorporate some amazing features including indoor gardens or unique never done before features in a skyscraper. Hopefully the put another public component toward the top like in 1WTC. Let's wait and see. Either way; sounds very promising~~

What would be amazing, since the site is so big; would be if they used Norman Fostor's original kissing towers design, that one would really be wonders!

Last edited by CHAPINM1; May 14, 2020 at 9:35 AM.

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 11:32 AM

Outside observation deck please Sir Larry.

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 12:28 PM
BANNED

I think that this will be a totally different tower that nonetheless uses the original footprint. I expect that it will have a lot of open-air terraces.

I hope that it’s funded by Persian Gulf money and will rise on spec.

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 12:41 PM
BANNED

If I were Mr Silverstein, knowing I have only a handful of good years left, I would take $3 billion of my roughly $4 billion net-worth and build a "legacy" tower on spec and call it "The Silverstein". It is guaranteed to turn a profit, eventually, for his family. I would also put a private mausoleum for myself somewhere on the top floor, but that's just me as a skyscraper enthusiast.

What a way that would be to go out.

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 12:53 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BXFrank View Post
I hate to be a party pooper, but this article about Covid 19 and the possible new norm, seems interesting but hopefully it won’t affect WTC2

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/12/n...from-home.html
I wouldn’t concern myself with that. Those types of pieces always come out. There is so much office space centered on Manhattan, you could chop off 20 msf, which is a lot in most places, and it wouldn’t be noticeable. On the other hand, there has been a movement to consolidate and “densify” worker space for some firms, which resulted in smaller space requirements. We could see the opposite effect. But one thing for sure is, the show will go on, even if delayed a little bit. This could be the push Silverstein needs to get that spec tower up, knowing it could possibly be harder to get tenant financed tower.

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 5:40 PM
New Yorker for life

This article talks about both sides, but piggybacks on Silverstein’s thinking.

https://commercialobserver.com/2020/...-office-space/

Quote:
“2020 leasing activity continues albeit at a slower pace in the current environment,” Steven Durels, SL Green’s director of real property and leasing, said in a statement announcing the deals. “Tenants are re-assessing per employee space allocations with an eye toward de-densifying and providing more space per employee.”

That mindset could prove extremely helpful for new construction since many companies may be willing to spring for pricey new digs to create office environments that limit the spread of infectious diseases to put their workers’ minds at ease.

“I think the buildings that will lease the fastest are the ones that have taken all the precautions post-COVID-19,” Falk said. “It’s going to be important and brokers are going to be asking on behalf of tenants what initiatives are the buildings taking.”
Quote:
The tenants who will do deals are going to be focused on larger, column-free offices so their workers can stay socially distanced as much as possible in the office. Another importance will be the air-flow and air-filtration of buildings, said Kevin Denlinger, the head of design for coworking firm Convene.

“Everyone’s trying to improve the air quality, everybody’s trying to improve the cleaning,” Denlinger said. “I think it will be challenging for very hermetically sealed buildings.”

One thing for sure, time will sort everything out.

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 5:54 PM
BANNED

This will be Larry's legacy, and I expect that it will be the greatest tower in NYC, which is no small feat.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 6:25 AM

In the end a tall glass building is what I am hoping for. A few minor setbacks much like Three World Trade Center would be nice as well.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 9:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
This will be Larry's legacy, and I expect that it will be the greatest tower in NYC, which is no small feat.
Wow I honestly don't know if your trolling or not?

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 12:16 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHigher View Post
Wow I honestly don't know if your trolling or not?
I’m 100% serious. The combination of Foster and a 1,300’+ tower is a match made in heaven.

Last edited by JMKeynes; May 15, 2020 at 12:36 PM.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 12:44 PM
New Yorker for life

As the man, and sometimes lone voice who insisted on rebuilding, the entire WTC will be Larry Silverstein's legacy. As for the greatest tower in NYC, that's not so easily defined. But it could be the first among the coming new wave.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 4:01 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

honestly, i was more a fan of the big box than the foster diamonds. now that one was an imposing tower that screamed we do business here buddy.

anyway, whatever it is in the end, this is a huge opprtunity for larry to make it the most modern office environment possible as its prime selling point. open plan, but perhaps with some sort of creative partioning to maximize air flow. open terraces. multiple small lunch stations and side offices. tele-this and tele-that accommodations. and whatever else the corona demands. in these times, it should be even more interesting to see what can be done on the inside than with the outside.

Old Posted May 16, 2020, 8:13 AM
JoeCooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
honestly, i was more a fan of the big box than the foster diamonds. now that one was an imposing tower that screamed we do business here buddy.

anyway, whatever it is in the end, this is a huge opprtunity for larry to make it the most modern office environment possible as its prime selling point. open plan, but perhaps with some sort of creative partioning to maximize air flow. open terraces. multiple small lunch stations and side offices. tele-this and tele-that accommodations. and whatever else the corona demands. in these times, it should be even more interesting to see what can be done on the inside than with the outside.
In complete agreement. I fact it may have been a blessing that Larry sat on this one as long as he has. This will give him a very unique edge over the others in this market to really pioneer something never before done. The high ceilings will also be a huge thing to take in consideration; be willing to bet this building will have a higher floor to floor ratio than any of the other WTC towers. The most amazing element one can anticipate is the element where it could be so spacious in parts that it will almost feel like your outside. 1WTC kinda nods at this with it's Skylobby and Observatory/restaurant levels.

Old Posted May 16, 2020, 11:22 AM
BANNED

Larry Silverstein is a great New Yorker. He’s also one of the best NY developers along with Michael Stern. They are the polar opposite of “Mack Low” and “So Low.”

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction