HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Feb 17, 2020, 1:41 AM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
evidence of work on the right of way?
Since last spring, yes.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2020, 2:35 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolchak View Post
I imagine the 78, especially DPI, will be served by private (or at least U of I) shuttles a la McDonald's headquarters, Google, etc.
The 78 web site claims every-ten-minute water taxi service and express shuttles to Ogilvie/Union Stations.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2020, 2:41 PM
BANNED

Quote:

From earlier today. I see a construction office and maybe some evidence of work on the right of way?
FHP is doing the civil work at the new bridge.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2020, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
^ Well, CTA could do these things with bus routes and I think it's very likely that they will... but how long will that take? I have to say it is frustrating that the transportation planning process for all of these new developments is occurring behind closed doors. I haven't seen any mention of bus route changes to serve Lincoln Yards or the 78. The city keeps hinting at a transitway along the North Branch, but has not launched a public process to plan and fund it. Big flashy projects like new L stops command all the attention and the public debate (if any), but CTA itself has seemingly done very little to respond to all this downtown-adjacent growth with the bus routes and planning tools they have at their disposal.

For all the growth in Fulton Market, all CTA has done is open the Morgan station (which was really a CDOT project anyway)... no supplemental bus routes to better cover the area, no infrastructure investments like bus lanes or prepaid stations to allow the Halsted and Madison lines to work more effectively.

Granted, CTA is working in a realm of limited resources,... finite numbers of buses/drivers and a finite budget with which to pay them. Without an increased budget, adding service one place means taking it away from somewhere else, unless they can work with electeds and the community to find supplemental funding. The best we can really hope for is zero-cost changes like re-routes or route swaps that can bring in more ridership (the recent changes to the California buses being a good example of this).

That's why I'm hopeful The 78 can at least get some bus service, there is literally a route called 24 Wentworth, changing its route as Wentworth is expanded northward seems like a no-brainer, but it means the South Loopers who live along Clark in Dearborn Park I and II, AMLI, etc will have to walk a little further to buses and trains on State... and the frequency of the 24 is a joke since it only exists as an ADA-accessible backup to the south Red Line. Re-routing the 62 Archer bus makes more sense, either instead of or in addition to the 24, since the frequency and hours of service are decent, and its State St portion is already served by the 29 State and the Red Line, so nobody would lose anything. And it would connect The 78 jobs to housing opportunities on the southwest side. If they can find enough resources to briefly extend one of the North Side buses down Wentworth as well, either the 36 Clark or 37 Sedgwick, that would really create a transit trunk on Wentworth with 3 bus routes, frequent service and, IMO, totally obviate the need for a Red Line station in the first phase of development.

Going to Hong Kong was an eye-opener, there are countless highrise estates there that are as big or bigger then The 78, that are served only by buses. Usually it is not just a feeder to subway stations but real decent bus routes that connect to destinations across the city. Pretending like The 78 NEEDS a rail station to function is just snobbery. But - it takes a real planning process and hard infrastructure to enable buses to do this job.
The availability of a bus does not change the perception that they're gross. You're not going to just get people to ride a bus because it's there.

Last edited by Goose Island Guru; Feb 17, 2020 at 3:59 PM. Reason: typo

Old Posted Feb 17, 2020, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose Island Guru View Post
The availability of a bus does not change the perception that they're gross. You're not going to just get people to ride a bus because it's there.
I don't think people are that fragile.

the chicago ave bus connects the blue line with all the corp. jobs on the near north side.

every rush hour the buses are packed with people. going east in the morning and going west in the evening.

people ride the bus because it's there - and the only transit option.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2020, 4:36 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

I ride express buses between the South Loop and UChicago that are chock-full of professionals. People will absolutely ride them...

Old Posted Feb 17, 2020, 4:46 PM

Quote:
I ride express buses between the South Loop and UChicago that are chock-full of professionals. People will absolutely ride them...
This, I commuted to a job in hyde park for a couple of weeks and the express buses there from the roosevelt red line were usually packed.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2020, 6:34 PM

Well this is all anecdotal (even my statement). I know many professionals who would rather die than step foot on a bus.

In the end, I believe trains are more efficient and environmentally friendly, at least until buses go all electric. A commuter can travel a further distance in a shorter amount of time on a train and trains can hold more people. Obviously they can’t stop as frequently as buses can but you still have the “last mile” issue.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2020, 7:35 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
FHP is doing the civil work at the new bridge.
I think the appearance is misleading... most of the work to date is in the underground utilities that will provide the backbone for future development. The pavement is probably the last thing that will be done.

Also, I'm surprised to hear about new bridges. I thought CDOT was going to cheap out and re-use the existing bridge under the St Charles Air Line and cross the Freeport Sub at grade... but this article makes it sound like a full grade separation is planned.
https://www.constructionequipmentgui...barriers/47150

Obviously having a full grade separation is key to making this a major traffic route, and helps with efforts at bus service as well... would hate to have traffic backing up here behind a freight train.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2020, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose Island Guru View Post
I disagree. The bus is “scarier” because the route doesn’t have the visibility of a rail line, but once you’re familiar with your surroundings, the bus often gets your closer to where you need to be than the L does. They’re great for shorter trips.

If you make the bus route more visible and bring greater visibility to stops, people will use it.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2020, 8:08 PM

Yeah, I won't lie, I was more nervous taking the bus here in Chicago than I was the L. It was the whole 'pay when boarding' thing and the fact that the bus was stopped to pick ME up so everyone would be staring at me to see where I sat(lol, of course, that's not the case, but anxiety can be insane). Then, would my bus actually go where it was supposed to? How would it know when to stop!?

Yeah, all dumb problems to have in one's head. But when you take the L, its swipe your card way before you board, get on, wait for your stop, which is nicely mapped, and then you're there.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2020, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I think the appearance is misleading... most of the work to date is in the underground utilities that will provide the backbone for future development. The pavement is probably the last thing that will be done.

Also, I'm surprised to hear about new bridges. I thought CDOT was going to cheap out and re-use the existing bridge under the St Charles Air Line and cross the Freeport Sub at grade... but this article makes it sound like a full grade separation is planned.
https://www.constructionequipmentgui...barriers/47150

Obviously having a full grade separation is key to making this a major traffic route, and helps with efforts at bus service as well... would hate to have traffic backing up here behind a freight train.
Weird that the best summary of this road project is in a deep state industry mag. CDOT and Related have no info. Nice link though thanks.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2020, 11:46 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
Yeah, I won't lie, I was more nervous taking the bus here in Chicago than I was the L. It was the whole 'pay when boarding' thing and the fact that the bus was stopped to pick ME up so everyone would be staring at me to see where I sat(lol, of course, that's not the case, but anxiety can be insane). Then, would my bus actually go where it was supposed to? How would it know when to stop!?

Yeah, all dumb problems to have in one's head. But when you take the L, its swipe your card way before you board, get on, wait for your stop, which is nicely mapped, and then you're there.
Maybe the CTA should put a "how do I ride?" QR code at each stop. Honestly though, the CTA buses are much easier to ride than other cities... stops are announced and you can pay via contactless credit/bank card or even with your phone...

Old Posted Feb 19, 2020, 1:50 AM

Quote:
Maybe the CTA should put a "how do I ride?" QR code at each stop. Honestly though, the CTA buses are much easier to ride than other cities... stops are announced and you can pay via contactless credit/bank card or even with your phone...
Oh, the experience was exactly as explained on the website lol

It was super easy and simple. I was just being a human, irrational and all.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2020, 3:47 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpIllInoIs View Post
Weird that the best summary of this road project is in a deep state industry mag. CDOT and Related have no info. Nice link though thanks.
Pretty typical for Chicago honestly. CTA, CDOT, etc are terrible at communicating updates to the public on major projects, either construction or planning, especially when the press isn't asking for it. The bureaucrats who do these things have no sense of public relations, and the politicians are only interested in groundbreakings and ribbon cuttings, not what happens in between. It's honestly a little sad that FH Paschen is more interested in getting the word out about this project to the industry, than the city is to get the word out to the public.

The only reason we got any updates at all on Navy Pier Flyover is because the guys at Streetsblog keep pushing for information.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2020, 3:53 PM

Smile

Quote:
The 78 web site claims every-ten-minute water taxi service and express shuttles to Ogilvie/Union Stations.
Now that would be badass. Express train to downtown and then hop the water taxi every day? I might be convinced to move to the suburbs just so i can say i take a train + boat to work every day lol.

Business trip? Boat + train + plane.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2020, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrinChi View Post
Now that would be badass. Express train to downtown and then hop the water taxi every day?
Not during the winter. But it does make me wonder about the viability of an ACV/hovercraft to keep it running year round.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2020, 9:03 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lurker View Post
Not during the winter. But it does make me wonder about the viability of an ACV/hovercraft to keep it running year round.
an ice-breaker could keep the river open during the winter season if water taxi traffic was deemed important enough.

but yeah, a hovercraft would be even cooler!

Old Posted Feb 19, 2020, 9:04 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lurker View Post
a small ice-breaker could keep the river open during the winter season if water taxi traffic was deemed important enough.

but yeah, a hovercraft would be even cooler!

Old Posted Feb 20, 2020, 8:20 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai Tree View Post
Now I really don't understand what you're saying! CBD's are a thing of the past. Stop thinking that the loop is the god-given business-only district of this city. THAT is bad planning! As long as new business districts are created along transit lines (that conveniently run through the Loop) it's really not that hard to imagine. Plus, the more business districts we have, the more walkable the city can become, and the more mixed-use and livable it can be. If anything, the 78 is an example of fantastic mixed-use planning. A university, apartment buildings, fitness centers, transit areas, and plenty of parkland in one walkable distance. What's not to like? And, I think we've already argued that there is plenty of transit infrastructure in place to support these office jobs. As was stated before, 2 stations (1 new and Roosevelt) make this project completely feasible transit wise. Do you have property in the Loop that is losing value? Is that why you such a vendetta against business districts outside the Loop? I promise you, it's really not bad planning.

CBD's are a thing of the past? Seems slightly hyperbolic, no?

I'm perfectly fine with appropriately-scaled office nodes and small districts outside of, or as an extension to, the core. What is very poor urban planning is to allow policy to concentrate millions of square feet of space in an area that is not at the nexus of citywide and regional transit - meaning accessible with one train ride to the broadest reach possible of the entire metro population......when there is ample capacity for further densification of office space within the core itself. That's just not planning.

And again, this is not a vendetta, I have zero vested interest of any type in the core/transit nexus zone. Mine is a position that is rooted in sound urban planning principles. Shouldn't be too difficult to follow.

Last edited by SamInTheLoop; Feb 20, 2020 at 10:59 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development