HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Oct 25, 2009, 2:14 AM

Burning Man used to have its HQ in the office portion of that building, so I guess they've found a new home and moved on.

It'll be nice to have that building down, even if nothing goes in there right away. The sidewalk was so narrow up against the towering wall of the warehouse, it just wasn't very friendly. Now you'll have a fence there instead of the wall, but it'll be a lot airier. Of course, that wall was nice to shield you from the rain as you walked by it, but I still think it'll be a lot nicer without it.

So I guess that'll just leave the billboard currently advertising the UCSF hospital on the site. Wonder how long that'll be able to hold out.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2009, 7:34 AM
heavy user of walkability

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCowboy View Post
The sidewalk was so narrow up against the towering wall of the warehouse, it just wasn't very friendly.

So I guess that'll just leave the billboard currently advertising the UCSF hospital on the site. Wonder how long that'll be able to hold out.
funny, I was just going to post these shots, the first two of which WildCowboy has already prefaced!

the 'narrow sidewalk up against the towering wall':

and the billboard:

and here are some other random shots, so we have a record of what we'll (not) be missing...

the first one was taken today. the others within the last 6 months.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2009, 7:47 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Cool shots, timbad. It's good to have an archive of how the place once looked. Lots of changes still to come in Mission Bay.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Nov 11, 2009, 7:18 AM

a few quick shots from this last weekend...

Latte Lane has transformed into a green leafy path, actually looks quite inviting, but is still fenced off, as I think can be seen in the pics.

looking southwest into the late afternoon sun:

looking into the entrance from the southwest corner:

and looking back toward the east:

over at the warehouse on Third St, the first signs of its imminent doom break through the missing roof sections:

and in front of the Diller Cancer Building in the Commons, work continues on the sewer infrastructure. ex-Pfizer (I've momentarily forgotten the name of the company that will actually move into a big chunk of the space) in the background:

another view, Diller building in background:

- the work around the southwest corner of the creek continues, and seems to have spread toward the south, but I can't tell what they're doing other than clearing some of the brush that was there.

- lots of earth-moving still south of 16th St where they're working on relocating the storm drain, though it looks to me that there's not much happening underground any more. could be in the final stages there?

- the plaza behind ex-Pfizer seems finished, but is still fenced off, I imagine until the building to the north is done.

- Third St northbound has been completely blocked to traffic from South St past the Commons as they tear it up for something, this over the past couple weeks at least.

- work continues on the CVRB, but I didn't think enough notable change in its external appearance to merit new photos yet...

and I think that's it. now I definitely have a general sense of things winding down as I wander through. we need a new major project!!

Last edited by timbad; Nov 13, 2009 at 7:09 AM.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2009, 5:03 PM
Only Mostly Dead

The SF Business Times today mentioned a new school planned for Mission Bay:

Quote:
Mayor, UCSF envision science-focused K-8 school
San Francisco Business Times
by Dan Fost San Francisco Business Times Contributor
Friday, April 18, 2008

Joining all the high-priced development in Mission Bay, if all goes according to plan, will be one of the most unlikely of new urban buildings: a public school.

The San Francisco Unified School District has reached an agreement with a variety of other Mission Bay stakeholders to build a science and technology school that would not only serve children from kindergarten through eighth grade, but would also have a top floor devoted to science labs for high school students from throughout the city.
Rest of the story: http://sanfrancisco.bizjournals.com/...21/focus5.html

The article goes on to say that the land will be given to the district, but $36M will need to be raised through private sources to have it built. The location is lot 14, which you can see right next to the Mission Creek Green circle (not sure what it's actually called) on this map BT posted a year ago:

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 8:01 AM

a few shots from this last weekend, starting with the CVRB, with a few more of its surface gaps filled in since the last time it graced the forum:

I'm curious whether it being done will be the trigger to fully open Fourth St, from 16th to the creek.

Latte Lane (which is a bad name, it turns out, since it doesn't actually lead anywhere - there is only one entrance/exit. more like Latte Grove, but not so much ring to that) is open on its two sidewalk sides, still of course fenced off from the rest of the parcel, which is still dirt. a view from inside:

on the seats, the anti-skateboard defenses are in the shape of leaves (which resemble maples, but even more resemble starfish):

... and it turns out they are slowly getting serious about the traffic lights at the intersection of 16th and Fourth. not only are they fully installed, but turned on and set to flashing for now. in the background you can see less of the warehouse than when we last checked in. (looking south from Fourth):

in other news:

- Third St northbound was still blocked off but mostly patched up and appeared about ready for reopening

- they were moving dirt on the lot of the Commons in front of ex-Pfizer, but I think it was just related to the Third St work

- over by the creek, the expanded digging mentioned earlier appears to be laying a new sewer pipe from the south (from near 1500 Owens) to connect up with the infrastructure they've already put in place.

- work seems to be dying down south of 16th St where they were moving the sewer pipe

- saw an article the other day that the first people are moving in to Mission Walk soon. this was the last project to be finished north of the creek, bmr housing. (there is one remaining lot to be developed, tucked snug up against the King St off-ramp, but who knows when that will happen)

- I was stoked to find that a yummy taquería had recently opened almost kitty-corner from the train station on Fourth St! so far I can report that their heaping fish tacos are a welcome addition to the neighborhood.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2009, 1:24 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
on the seats, the anti-skateboard defenses are in the shape of leaves (which resemble maples, but even more resemble starfish):
They may BE starfish. They have starfish over along the Embarcadero downtown as well as some other sea creatures.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2010, 6:31 AM

Happy New Year, and may it bring new construction momentum!

well, it's been quiet around here for a while, and of course at least part of that is because it's pretty quiet on the construction front in MB too.

thought I would throw up a few shots of what *is* happening, to start the new year off...

the (to me at least) seemingly endless work on the new sewer system continues both near the creek and in the Commons in front of the Helen Diller Cancer Center. near the creek, the pumping station appears complete, with its signature V-roof that John King appreciates so much, and the adjacent underground work has been given a concrete cap. in the distance the equipment shows where further digging is still taking place.

over at the Commons, this is a pretty cluttered picture, but you can see that there will be some not-insignificant surface evidence of the infrastructure below. so far we have a boxy cement-block structure (which may be and may end up looking like the other pumping stations?) and a row of silvery metal cabinets. to be seen is whether and how well they will be shielded from the otherwise park-y green setting. (and I had thought they were long done with the deep digging, but barely noticeable in the foreground is another hole that goes down an impressively long way)

the warehouse on the site of the future UCSF medical center is almost gone, with only part of its frame lining Third Street remaining. this first shot was taken from the roof of the South St garage:

these next two are similar to shots posted previously of the pre-demolition warehouse:

and a couple of random shots... another from the garage roof across Third Street, showing Nelson Rising Lane on the far side, which runs between the Diller Cancer Center and CVRB on the right side, and the UCSF student housing on the left:

over at the Gladstone garage, it looks like the climbing plants are just starting to do their thing, hopefully eventually to form breathing foliage-walls on all four sides:

in other news...

- the site along Third St behind (south of) ex-Pfizer has been graded and cleared of equipment, ready for Alexandria to put a building there whenever they feel it's time. the plaza to its east, though completed, is still fenced off.

- pedestrian crossing islands have been installed on Fourth Street at two locations within the UCSF campus, in anticipation of the opening of the length of the street and resulting increase in traffic. also the traffic lights at the intersection of Fourth and 16th are fully functional now.

- sea lions have been frequenting Mission Creek over the last few weeks! I don't remember them from previous years. wonder if it has anything to do with their exodus from Pier 39

Last edited by timbad; Jan 11, 2010 at 12:02 AM.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2010, 4:02 PM

Great shots as always, timbad...thanks for the update. Amazing that that huge warehouse is almost gone.

Not sure about that infrastructure stuff in the Commons in front of the Diller Building. I seem to remember seeing drawings of the Commons showing a long reflecting pool or water feature of some sort on that block, but I don't know whether that was the actual landscape plan for the block or just a conceptual thing for early illustrative purposes.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2010, 12:28 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Thanks for the updates, timbad. Maybe things will pick up later this year. I found a great writeup on the history and planned future of Mission Bay on MissionLocal. A quote from that article:

Quote:
Bosa Development Corporation owns two of the remaining empty residential lots. The second installment of Bosa’s Radiance condos was stalled but will eventually become reality perhaps beginning summer of 2010, according to Dennis Aurelio, a company spokesperson.
It's from a company spokesman and perhaps overly optimistic, but maybe it's a good sign.

Anyway, the article is very interesting and included a couple of nice graphics showing the current state vis-a-vis the planned vision. I tried to post them here, but the scale isn't working right. Definitely worth a look.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2010, 4:41 PM

I know that Bosa had talked to the city about splitting the second phase of Radiance into two phases of its own, with about 200 units in the first part and another 100+ to fill things out. Not sure whether that idea is on the table, but when it was floating around (mid-summer), Bosa had pegged spring 2010 as a "best case" start date.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2010, 2:09 AM
BANNED

The new UCSF Medical Center to be:

Source: http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...al_center.html

Old Posted Jan 11, 2010, 7:00 AM

and... gone

no more warehouse! from Third St:

looking north from the corner of Third and Mariposa:

looking north from Mariposa and approximately what will be the intersection with Fourth St:

and from across the train tracks, looking back east:

not much else to report, just that there is more extensive digging going on in the Commons, a deep trench that seems to angle off toward the new CVRB.

thanks for the images of the medical center, BT! I like that it looks like Fourth will not be a continuous through-street between 16th and Mariposa. besides being better for patients who need to get from the parking lot to the center, it will probably reduce traffic on the rest of Fourth a little.

I saw in the latest issue of the Potrero View a rendering of the hospital that showed a large entry portion on Third, and the caption said something about neighborhood input having gotten that added to the plans. I'm not sure if that was a recent thing, I'll have to look at the renderings we have from months ago. all I remember along Third from before was a long section of the energy center where I imagine the machines vented.

I think the telephone poles will be coming down on the south side of 16th soon. the same email that talked about the demolition of the warehouse mentioned they were going to start to work on that area next. will be nice to unclutter the sky there.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2010, 4:02 PM

Thanks, timbad...Seems weird without that hulking warehouse there.

My understanding of the Fourth Street situation through the hospital site is that UCSF and many of the neighbors would like to see it closed to auto traffic, leaving two cul-de-sac drops offs coming in from the north and south. It would remain open to pedestrians and cyclists, however. When the second phase of the hospital is built, plans call for a bridge across that closed section of Fourth Street on the second and third levels, remaining open on the first level for pedestrian and cyclist traffic.

The catch is that the closure of Fourth requires all sorts of political maneuvering due to the redevelopment plans already assumed for traffic flow. To that end, I believe that UCSF is proceeding as if Fourth Street will be open to auto traffic, but is working with the various city agencies to see if it can be closed, and if so, what other steps would be required. For example, there has been talk of adding another lane to the plans for Owens between 16th and Mariposa to compensate for the loss of Fourth for auto traffic. The feasibility of that of course has to be considered as well. I don't believe that a final decision has been made yet.

The Third Street entry plaza was added several years ago during the community input phase. It's near the Mariposa end, although a bit north of the intersection to break up the massing. It'll be the primary entry point for people coming in on the T-Third and should have some outdoor cafe seating. The energy center and display wall will be further north towards 16th.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2010, 8:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Friday, January 22, 2010
UCSF, developers team up on center
University to lease $198M Mission Bay neuroscience building

San Francisco Business Times - by Ron Leuty

A first-of-its-kind deal allowing private developers to construct and lease back to UCSF a $198 million neuroscience center at the Mission Bay campus could open the door to similar lower-cost building projects for the cash-strapped University of California system.

McCarthy Cook & Co., Clark Construction Co. and its Edgemore Realty unit this spring will start building a 237,000-square-foot, five-story center. The building could be ready for move-in by spring 2012, consolidating eight University of California, San Francisco, locations and some 600 employees for neuroscience research. That firepower will include as many as 100 investigators like Nobel Prize winner Stan Prusiner . . . .
Source: http://sanfrancisco.bizjournals.com/...25/story2.html

Old Posted Jan 22, 2010, 10:37 PM
Only Mostly Dead

BT posted the good news. Guess I'm stuck with the (potentially) bad:

Quote:
UCSF hospital under gun to raise $250M
San Francisco Business Times - by Chris Rauber
Friday, January 22, 2010

The University of California, San Francisco, faces a UC-imposed deadline of mid-November to raise nearly $250 million more for its planned Mission Bay women’s, children’s and cancer hospital.

Chancellor Susan Desmond-Hellmann said UCSF must raise between $450 million and $475 million by the University of California Regents’ meeting Nov. 16 to 18 in Los Angeles. UCSF has raised $225 million so far, $125 million of it in a single grant from Atlantic Philanthropies last March. But the university has raised just $20 million since then.

The new hospital “remains our No. 1 funding priority,” Desmond-Hellmann said, while acknowledging that it’s a “tough economic environment and there are a lot of great causes out there.”
From the San Francisco Business Times.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2010, 1:51 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
BT posted the good news. Guess I'm stuck with the (potentially) bad:
I didn't post it because I'm not too concerned about it. That is, I'm confident they can raise the money.

PS: Here's a rendering of the Neurosciences Center:

Source: http://sf.curbed.com/archives/2010/0...eader_comments

Old Posted Jan 23, 2010, 3:27 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
I didn't post it because I'm not too concerned about it. That is, I'm confident they can raise the money.
Remember the good old days when I was all sunshine and rainbows and you were Mr. Doom and Gloom? Good times, good times. LOL! Anyway, that seems like a lot of money in a short time to me. But you definitely have a better sense for these things than I do, so I'll convert over to your optimism.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2010, 3:33 AM
Only Mostly Dead

BTW, do you know on which of UCSF's lots the neurosciences building will be built?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2010, 7:15 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
BTW, do you know on which of UCSF's lots the neurosciences building will be built?
No, I don't. There was some question about that on Curbed. I'm hoping Timbad, WildCowboy or someone else more intimate with Mission Bay than I am can tell us.

I'm optimistic about the hospital because UC has clout on a national scale in health care and plenty of wealthy alumni as well as wealthy San Franciscans who probably care about this project. I'm just wondering, for example, if "Chancellor Desmond-Hellman" is one of THE Hellmans (the ones whose patriarch, Warren, built us the $50 million garage under the Golden Gate Park Music Concourse). If so, I suspect some more money can be shaken loose from that tree, just for starters.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development