HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Is this really an unavoidable consequence of covid? A lot of European countries kept schools open.
This again. Schools were open.

Europe didn't have widespread in-school learning until the Fall 2020, same as the U.S. At least in Germany, their policies (windows and doors open even in cold weather months, weekly in-school self-testing) would have never flown in the U.S.

The vast majority of U.S. districts, public and private, had some in-school option during the majority of the 2020-21 school year. If a parent wanted an in-school option that school year, there were possibilities.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 7:49 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post

your pedantry knows no bounds.

Quote:
And no, Europe didn't have widespread in-school learning until the Fall 2020, same as the U.S.
and some places in the US didn't have widespread in-school learning until fall 2021, LONG after teachers and staff had the opportunity to get vaxxed.

there can be no doubt that some of our nation's more stubborn teachers unions over-reacted and over-reached.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 8:05 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
i don't know.

they only thing i do know is that none of it would have happened if stupid fucking covid hadn't.

stupid fucking covid is the root of the last 18 months of bullshit.

so yeah, STUPID FUCKING COVID!
Not Covid. Stupid people making big decisions in response to Covid. I've been like a broken record for the past year and a half but if we get anything out of this pandemic, we learned there are way to many fucking morons making big decisions that defy logic.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 8:50 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Not Covid. Stupid people making big decisions in response to Covid. I've been like a broken record for the past year and a half but if we get anything out of this pandemic, we learned there are way to many fucking morons making big decisions that defy logic.
This has been the deadliest pandemic in American history, so it is COVID. The authorities have done the best they can to either stop the spread (Newsom) or continue the spread (Abbott/DeSantis). It's stupid Americans who refuse to listen to their government who made it worse, and they showed that they can't adapt to stressful situations. COVID is a national security threat anyway, so all of you should probably listen to the generals or be considered anti-American (under the rules from 2003).

Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 11:08 PM
The City

Quote:
Pretty much where I stand.

Covid today is far more of a mental illness than a physical one. I would liken it to a new religion, or perhaps a kind of cult. It’s an excuse to usurp societal norms and to achieve long sought agendas by certain previously marginalized groups.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 11:19 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post

Covid today is far more of a mental illness than a physical one. I would liken it to a new religion, or perhaps a kind of cult. It’s an excuse to usurp societal norms and to achieve long sought agendas by certain previously marginalized groups.
COVID-SARS-2 is more like HIV and COVID is more like AIDS. Both are deadly viruses that cause life-long health syndromes to include mental health issues. The list of symptoms keeps growing every day for those who suffer from long covid. The loss of brain tissue doesn't help, either.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 11:55 PM

Quote:

I liken it to wearing a seat belt a couple of decades ago. Some people just wouldn't do it--it wasn't macho, it took an extra second or two when you were in a hurry, you knew you were a good driver and wouldn't have a crash anyway.

But the over-arching government MADE you. It took away your RIGHTs to endanger yourself. In fact, unlike covid where enabling yourself to get infected causes the virus to spread and clearly endangers others, not wearing a seat belt if you were driving alone just endangered YOU.

All this auto safety stuff--air bags, seat belts, cushioned steering wheels and dashes--was a kind of cult the government was mandating that added hundreds, maybe thousands of dollars to the cost of cars. A previously marginalized group, the auto safety fanatics (led by the arch villains at Consumers' Union), were pushing it. Real men (and women) didn't need it.

But we got used to it. We will get used to getting periodic coronavirus shots (hopefully ones that cover a broader spectrum than just SARS-CoV-2) and some of us chosing to wear a mask in certain public situations. It's hard to see the day right now, but I think it will come, when cases of covid become rare enough through the combination of vaccination and post-infection immunity, that we can drop a lot of the compulsion. But I don't think some of the societal changes like an aversion to dense crowds among some people, a willingness to mask up under certain circumstances (and others not finding that particularly strange--except perhaps TUP who I bet wears a mask sometimes at work because he knows they are effective when there infection risk) and the need to add a coronavirus shot to annual flu shots, tetanus shots every 5-10 years, shots for pneumonia, meningitis, shingles etc at certain times of life, and the battery of shots needed for some travel or school.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2021, 12:06 AM
The City

Old Posted Oct 30, 2021, 12:14 AM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
I liken it to wearing a seat belt a couple of decades ago. Some people just wouldn't do it--it wasn't macho, it took an extra second or two when you were in a hurry, you knew you were a good driver and wouldn't have a crash anyway.

But the over-arching government MADE you. It took away your RIGHTs to endanger yourself. In fact, unlike covid where enabling yourself to get infected causes the virus to spread and clearly endangers others, not wearing a seat belt if you were driving alone just endangered YOU.

All this auto safety stuff--air bags, seat belts, cushioned steering wheels and dashes--was a kind of cult the government was mandating that added hundreds, maybe thousands of dollars to the cost of cars. A previously marginalized group, the auto safety fanatics (led by the arch villains at Consumers' Union), were pushing it. Real men (and women) didn't need it.

But we got used to it. We will get used to getting periodic coronavirus shots (hopefully ones that cover a broader spectrum than just SARS-CoV-2) and some of us chosing to wear a mask in certain public situations. It's hard to see the day right now, but I think it will come, when cases of covid become rare enough through the combination of vaccination and post-infection immunity, that we can drop a lot of the compulsion. But I don't think some of the societal changes like an aversion to dense crowds among some people, a willingness to mask up under certain circumstances (and others not finding that particularly strange--except perhaps TUP who I bet wears a mask sometimes at work because he knows they are effective when there infection risk) and the need to add a coronavirus shot to annual flu shots, tetanus shots every 5-10 years, shots for pneumonia, meningitis, shingles etc at certain times of life, and the battery of shots needed for some travel or school.
This is a bunch of rambling and I don’t know why you quoted me to say all of this.

There is no “getting used” to anything.

You develop immunity to an infection and you move on. This isn’t rocket science. But some people, like yourself, can’t move on. You are disabled by fear.

I wear a mask at work because I’m required to. Otherwise I wouldn’t. I’ve personally been to countless social functions without a mask so I already trust in the immunity I have. Friggin A I’ve had the vaccine AND the booster. What more does one need to do?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2021, 1:10 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWAK View Post
This has been the deadliest pandemic in American history, so it is COVID. The authorities have done the best they can to either stop the spread (Newsom) or continue the spread (Abbott/DeSantis). It's stupid Americans who refuse to listen to their government who made it worse, and they showed that they can't adapt to stressful situations. COVID is a national security threat anyway, so all of you should probably listen to the generals or be considered anti-American (under the rules from 2003).
It's deadly to a more specific spectrum of the population; if you're 65+, obese, diabetic, cancer, etc, it's very dangerous however, most people across the general population who came down with it had cold like symptoms and that's about the extent of it. Back in March of 2020, I gave anyone and everyone in a position of authority (except Trump and Abbott) wide berth because we've never been faced with anything like this in modern times. Yes, they did what they could with the amount of knowledge they had at the time. And they did they best they could but that was then. There's no excuse to have a March 2020 mindset at this point. Again, in 2021 (almost 2022) stupid people are making stupid decisions that often don't align with the science.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2021, 1:35 AM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
It's deadly to a more specific spectrum of the population; if you're 65+, obese, diabetic, cancer, etc, it's very dangerous however, most people across the general population who came down with it had cold like symptoms and that's about the extent of it.
That's true, but I know what I'm saying stings for people who don't like the lockdown/masks/social distancing because it justifies those measures. Basically, I'm forcing people to read what they don't want to read, or see what they don't want to see. It is the only way to grow or like I said these fools won't adapt. I am just disappointed in American's ability to adapt to a crappy situation. It's supposed to suck and not be fun or this wouldn't be a crisis, or what I call, a 100 year virus. I'm borrowing from flood lingo. So we probably won't experience this again in our lifetimes. My um...demands of the American people are only for emergencies too, it's not all the time as far as being a slave to whatever the government wants.
Quote:
Back in March of 2020, I gave anyone and everyone in a position of authority (except Trump and Abbott) wide berth because we've never been faced with anything like this in modern times. Yes, they did what they could with the amount of knowledge they had at the time. And they did they best they could but that was then. There's no excuse to have a March 2020 mindset at this point. Again, in 2021 (almost 2022) stupid people are making stupid decisions that often don't align with the science.
This is tricky because the CDC decides the science, and the orange one (I wont say his name in subforums) had a great plan to start with. What exactly do you mean by a March mindset? Masks in cars, masks outside? That's up to the CDC guidelines for following the science, which I do not. Who else is willing to admit they don't follow the science? I stopped following because it's dangerous to follow the science in rural areas. They might think I'm from the Bay Area!
If you don't like it (which is ok if you can explain it) the Bay Area is the absolute worst place you can be. Although, CA was fully opened on June 15th so there's that.

Last edited by TWAK; Oct 30, 2021 at 1:52 AM.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2021, 2:53 AM

Quote:
This is a bunch of rambling and I don’t know why you quoted me to say all of this.

There is no “getting used” to anything.

You develop immunity to an infection and you move on. This isn’t rocket science. But some people, like yourself, can’t move on. You are disabled by fear.

I wear a mask at work because I’m required to. Otherwise I wouldn’t. I’ve personally been to countless social functions without a mask so I already trust in the immunity I have. Friggin A I’ve had the vaccine AND the booster. What more does one need to do?
Everyone is going to get COVID vaccinated or not. A mandate is pure Pfizer BS. Get it to protect yourself.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2021, 5:42 AM

Quote:
I wear a mask at work because I’m required to. Otherwise I wouldn’t.
That's all you need to say. Smarter people than you are requiring you to and thank G*d.

I am just stunned by a doctor who doesn't appear to accept the basics of infection control.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2021, 5:49 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
my daughter basically lost her entire year of kindergarten.

yeah, for the last 3 months she was finally going 2 days/week in-person, so better than nothing i guess, but still 80% of it was staring into a lap top screen from her bedroom, which was largely a waste of time.

and kindergarten is EXPLICITLY all about learning how to behave in a classroom, the socialization stuff, not the ABC's and 123's.

how to sit down and be quiet, how to line up, how to take turns, how to get along with classmates without biting or kicking them, all of that super-important stuff for little kids to learn that is just nowhere "remotely" close to being the same with remote learning.

long term, i think (hope?) she'll be fine, but it still sucks that she kinda got robbed of having a kindergarten experience.

stupid fucking covid.

I wonder how the state test scores will be this year for the various school grades in this nation. I bet a lot of people are woefully behind. Probably a bad semester or year really for a lot of teachers.

The burden on teachers who have to essentially reteach the concepts learned via e-learning will be high I bet. Not that e-learning is bad but I'd imagine small kids are not going to remember all of it or say be motivated in the house... with all of those distractions like toys and video games and tv and mommies vibrating lightsaber.

Last edited by chris08876; Oct 30, 2021 at 5:59 AM.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2021, 5:56 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
My kids and their friends (late teens) joke all the time that they're going to be the "lost generation".

Though I think that the lasting effects of this will be greater on elementary school-age kids than on teens.
I agree with this as well. The elementary kids. I mean a year behind is a big deal, especially when gamma waves in the brain are high and little kids are like sponges. They absorb everything. I forget the age range but there's an age range where learning becomes very important. Kind of why little kids can pick up languages quicker in some cases than adults. Gamma brain waves!

But aside from learning fractions and critical reading, something most adults can't do anyways, the disruptions on the social skills and possibly loneliness might cause damage; social adaptation, EQ of the generation, ect.

I feel bad for the teachers. And the principals who are going to get their ear chewed off when the test scores for the schools come back. They might need to drink some alcohol after but due to the aluminum shortage, might not be in stock as much.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2021, 5:58 AM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
That's all you need to say. Smarter people than you are requiring you to and thank G*d.

I am just stunned by a doctor who doesn't appear to accept the basics of infection control.
Remember what they say in chiropractic circles?
"Follow the pseudoscience"

Old Posted Oct 30, 2021, 6:05 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWAK View Post
Remember what they say in chiropractic circles?
"Follow the pseudoscience"
Wearing a mask while driving so that it impedes your vision as you crash into a tree is another way of reaping the benefits of a chiropractor without actually seeing one. Half these people can't see normally, and so it concerns me when they lift the mask all the way so that it risks covering their eyes when they are driving a minivan which they drive like an 18-wheeler. Wide turns, emergency blinkers on going up hill... makes no sense. I mean if they had nitroglycerin in the car, it would make sense but some of them drive like they have a barrel of nitroglycerin in the trunk.

Kind of like the folks that wear face shields when driving, have you seen those folks? I have... its insane. And there is nobody in the car... nobody. Mental illness is rampant in this country.

The minute some accident occurs, that face shield is going to wrap around that wheel and the edges will behead some of these people and the head will roll right out of the window with the mask still on the head. Not a pretty sight... not good for the children to see on their way to school after being locked up for 8 months watching a manic bear teach them fractions on the laptop.

Last edited by chris08876; Oct 30, 2021 at 6:15 AM.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2021, 6:24 AM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Wearing a mask while driving so that it impedes your vision as you crash into a tree is another way of reaping the benefits of a chiropractor without actually seeing one. Half these people can't see normally, and so it concerns me when they lift the mask all the way so that it risks covering their eyes when they are driving a minivan which they drive like an 18-wheeler. Wide turns, emergency blinkers on going up hill... makes no sense. I mean if they had nitroglycerin in the car, it would make sense but some of them drive like they have a barrel of nitroglycerin in the trunk.
As long as they follow the rules I can't complain, but pseudoscience practitioners like TUP think they have some sway. They don't. Their garbage makes things worse. That's what is though, absolute garbage. The feds agree, it is NOT a medical profession.

Quote:
Kind of like the folks that wear face shields when driving, have you seen those folks? I have... its insane. And there is nobody in the car... nobody. Mental illness is rampant in this country.
I haven't seen them but I live in a antivaxxx area. In California you ask? Yes. The State of Jefferson does not recognize the rules but needs to send patients to California.
Quote:
The minute some accident occurs, that face shield is going to wrap around that wheel and the edges will behead some of these people and the head will roll right out of the window with the mask still on the head. Not a pretty sight... not good for the children to see on their way to school after being locked up for 8 months watching a manic bear teach them fractions on the laptop.
Chiropractors think if you get "aligned" that all medical problems will just vanish.
That is why I laugh.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2021, 7:56 AM

Quote:

Europe didn't have widespread in-school learning until the Fall 2020, same as the U.S. At least in Germany, their policies (windows and doors open even in cold weather months, weekly in-school self-testing) would have never flown in the U.S.

The vast majority of U.S. districts, public and private, had some in-school option during the majority of the 2020-21 school year. If a parent wanted an in-school option that school year, there were possibilities.
Crawford, it’s obvious that primary schools exist mainly as day care for children and secondly as environments where they learn social interaction. The “book learning” itself is only a tertiary purpose of elementary education, and that’s the only function that schools were fulfilling for the end of 2019-20 and most of the 2020-21 school year.

Parents who were upset about this were right to be because kids were never at risk and neither were the vast majority of their parents and teachers. The older teachers who were at risk should just have been placed on paid leave and replaced with some 20-something recent teaching grad as a sub.

As for kids spreading Covid more generally, no child should have been visiting grandma and grandpa for the duration of the pandemic (and anyone who had their grandkids visit at Christmas 2020 is an idiot).
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Oct 30, 2021, 11:55 AM

Quote:

That is such a stupid statement from the First to the last letter. A nonsensical masterpiece.

Your last sentence though, really takes the cake.

What exactly do you mean by "marginalized" groups, who are they, and how do they influence public policy worldwide, if they are in fact marginalized?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions