HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 2:24 AM

Maybe the riverfront bar/restaurant that currently exists there will remain?

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 2:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoatman View Post
No other city wastes riverfront property like Chicago. Anything would be better than that. A Topgolf/Ikea would be great here.
The city needs jobs, too. And would a Topgolf or Ikea be any better "river" friendly (even though the site is not on the river)?

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 3:14 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceP View Post
The city needs jobs, too. And would a Topgolf or Ikea be any better "river" friendly (even though the site is not on the river)?
Yes. Especially Topgolf, I'm in my 20s and my peers love that shit. In my old city Atlanta the one there was packed on a daily basis. Something about food, beer, hanging with friends, and playing some good ol golf gets people going. Plus they're open late. Now imagine that right on the Chicago River, it would be amazing.

An Ikea too would be great...Having to go all the way to Schaumberg for some swedish meatballs or quality furniture isn't it!

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 4:01 AM
Show me the blueprints

Quality furniture?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 4:40 AM

I wouldn't mind a full-on topgolf so close to the city.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 11:54 AM

hideous, keep that shit in the burbs

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
Dude, when is the last time you actually said something positive about this city? All you've done is complain and moan about everything about Chicago for months now. If you don't like anything about where you live, perhaps you should consider relocating somewhere more to your liking.

Aaron (Glowrock)
Not to mention Chicago activates it's riverfront very well, plus more parkland/development is imminent. Chicago has a lot of riverfront property, it's not all going to be "wild miles", river walks and high-rises.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 4:18 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoatman View Post
Yes. Especially Topgolf, I'm in my 20s and my peers love that shit. In my old city Atlanta the one there was packed on a daily basis. Something about food, beer, hanging with friends, and playing some good ol golf gets people going. Plus they're open late. Now imagine that right on the Chicago River, it would be amazing.

An Ikea too would be great...Having to go all the way to Schaumberg for some swedish meatballs or quality furniture isn't it!
There's nothing inherently better for activating this parcel with an IKEA or topgolf vs a large-scale, multi-level warehouse. all are pretty much monolithic, massive structures that will probably have huge parking lots and a relative lack of pedestrian activation. People don't walk to IKEA, they drive over to be able to put their purchases in their vehicles. Most people going to Topgolf I'd also presume will drive in. Many more high-paying jobs associated with a large warehouse operation, quite frankly.

Put the IKEA and Topgolf a little further north along the North Branch. It might keep the twenty-something's from being able to easily look be "golf" bruhs and "trendy" IKEA knick-knack purchasers but so be it.

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 5:23 PM

I think there was supposed to be a top golf at damen and elston which has been auto centric always.

I do enjoy top golf and would prefer not to have to go out to Schaumburg. I don’t go to a driving range in the city. If you haven’t been to top golf, you’ll know it’s not exactly a serious place to practice and is 90% a social experience.

You don’t even need much parking because they provide clubs. Myself and others never bring our own

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzo View Post
I think there was supposed to be a top golf at damen and elston which has been auto centric always.

I do enjoy top golf and would prefer not to have to go out to Schaumburg. I don’t go to a driving range in the city. If you haven’t been to top golf, you’ll know it’s not exactly a serious place to practice and is 90% a social experience.

You don’t even need much parking because they provide clubs. Myself and others never bring our own
Correct. It was going to be DriveShack (essentially the same as TG) but COVID threw a wrench in that and now I believe is completely scrapped.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 11:47 PM

Mr. Chicago here
Amazing. I have been saying for quite a while that the river is a source
of potential beauty for the city and what I read was the businesses along the river will not move because of its location by the Kennedy. What a waste especially because those jobs can perhaps be used to pick up the southside
economically. If Chicago is to maintain its greatness as a city then, to use that famous phrase :" make no small plans" .The problem is that as the city is rebuilding itself it seems to be forgetting the social-economic aspects to planning, Sometimes the planning process should include a political-economic aspect, Is this not way Daley Jr. thought when he assembled the plan of transformation? Frankly without that plan Chicago would not be where it is today. Again please note I say all this because I am a Chicago fan and booster and am always selling the city as a great destination.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 10:03 PM
Chicago

Hugo on Chicago & on Hudson - 411 W Chicago & 751 N Hudson

September 29, 2022

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 10:16 PM
Chicago

363 W Ontario

September 29, 2022

Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 1:57 PM

this morning I saw construction equipment at the vacant lot at Western & North Ave. this was previously a pizza hut that was torn down a few years ago. not sure of current plans for the site.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
this morning I saw construction equipment at the vacant lot at Western & North Ave. this was previously a pizza hut that was torn down a few years ago. not sure of current plans for the site.
Unfortunately the plans are for 1 or 2 new 1 story retail buildings like 7-11. Pretty upsetting. At one point in time it was actually going to be something like a 4 or 5 story mixed use building

Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty Joe View Post
I live close by that's highly disappointing. It's walking distance to two blue line stops! Between that and the self-storage facility going up on Winnebago and Bloomingdale... what the hell... We need more residents to help support struggling and shuttered businesses on our main thoroughfares, not this crap.
There were 2 new construction building permits issued recently to this entire site..

* 9/8/22 - "SPR 2019 CBC: NEW CONSTRUCTION OF A 1 STORY RETAIL BUILDING TO INCLUDE BASE BUILDING MECHANICAL, ELECTRICAL, PLUMBING, CIVIL SITE WORK, NEW MASONRY TRASH ENCLOSURE AND LANDSCAPING WITH A ONE LANE DRIVE-THRU PER PLANS."

* 9/7/22 - "DDS 2019 CBC: ERECT A NEW, 1 STORY "SHELL BUILDING ONLY" STRUCTURE BUILT SPECIFICALLY TO HOUSE A RETAIL TENANT. TENANT PLANS SHALL BE SUBMITTED SEPARATELY. WORK TO INCLUDE BASE BUILDING MECHANICAL, ELECTRICAL, PLUMBING, CIVIL SITE WORK, NEW TRASH ENCLOSURE AND LANDSCAPING PER PLANS. VB CONSTRUCTION. M-MERCANTILE USE. CONSULTANT REVIEWER: GLOBETROTTERS ENGINEERING"

Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 7:00 PM

Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
There were 2 new construction building permits issued recently to this entire site..

* 9/8/22 - "SPR 2019 CBC: NEW CONSTRUCTION OF A 1 STORY RETAIL BUILDING TO INCLUDE BASE BUILDING MECHANICAL, ELECTRICAL, PLUMBING, CIVIL SITE WORK, NEW MASONRY TRASH ENCLOSURE AND LANDSCAPING WITH A ONE LANE DRIVE-THRU PER PLANS."

* 9/7/22 - "DDS 2019 CBC: ERECT A NEW, 1 STORY "SHELL BUILDING ONLY" STRUCTURE BUILT SPECIFICALLY TO HOUSE A RETAIL TENANT. TENANT PLANS SHALL BE SUBMITTED SEPARATELY. WORK TO INCLUDE BASE BUILDING MECHANICAL, ELECTRICAL, PLUMBING, CIVIL SITE WORK, NEW TRASH ENCLOSURE AND LANDSCAPING PER PLANS. VB CONSTRUCTION. M-MERCANTILE USE. CONSULTANT REVIEWER: GLOBETROTTERS ENGINEERING"
sad

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 3:10 AM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Unfortunately the plans are for 1 or 2 new 1 story retail buildings like 7-11. Pretty upsetting. At one point in time it was actually going to be something like a 4 or 5 story mixed use building
Wow, absolute trash. That is such a high profile intersection. What an absolute waste.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 7:42 PM

The project at the north east corner of May and Carrol looks to be just about started. Construction fence is being set up and Taylor has had a piece of equipment in the yard for a week or so. Other staging is in progress too.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development