HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Nov 4, 2016, 8:12 AM

If someone could dig up the KPF render(ing) of the three-tower project as originally envisioned in the late 1980s, that would be interesting for reference. I'm sure 1000 SSP points are waiting for whoever can pull this out.

Last edited by denizen467; Nov 4, 2016 at 8:46 AM.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2016, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
If someone could dig up the KPF render(ing) of the three-tower project as originally envisioned in the late 1980s, that would be interesting for reference. I'm sure 1000 SSP points are waiting for whoever can pull this out.
I've got it somewhere in my archives. . . it was uploaded to Emporis back in the day but I can't find it there anymore. . . I'll post it as soon as I can, unless someone beats me to it. . .

. . .

Old Posted Nov 6, 2016, 9:37 AM

^^^Gotcha, thanks. Found the site pictures.

http://chicago.curbed.com/2016/11/2/...d-wacker-drive

Old Posted Dec 13, 2016, 7:31 PM

Twin 48-Storey Office Tower Complex in the Works for Downtown Chicago
Quote:
A proposed twin-tower, 48-storey office complex to be designed by Kohn Pederson Fox Associates for local developer and CEO of MB Real Estate, John Murphy, is set to take up an entire block along 301-321 South Wacker Drive at the edge of the Chicago Loop financial district. With an estimated price tag of $800 million, the massive new development would bring a total of 2.4 million square feet of state-of-the-art office space to central Chicago, within steps of the iconic Willis (formerly Sears) Tower, on a parcel of land situated along the banks of the scenic Chicago River.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 7:47 AM
MPLSXCHI

Dug this up on the developer's website. Don't think I've seen the second tower or the inside before. The website also lists a new height at 775'. I hope they actually go for some mixed-use here.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 1:23 PM
BANNED

^New to me as well. Can anyone recall how long the website has listed Walsh as the Construction Company? That they list the GC obviously shows this project pretty serious. Not to mention it's a frequently updated website, as their cover page shows two new gems- 1326 S Michigan and Cook County Hosp.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 4:26 PM
DENNAB

I thought this was dead, awesome news!

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 4:27 PM

Is this actually happening? Surprised given the height. Very little chatter on it.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 4:41 PM

Looks good. Haven't looked at this one in awhile. Definitely in a hot area of the Loop, but I'll believe once its in the news.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 5:26 PM

In an article about the OPO a month ago, Murphy Development said they're waiting for a anchor tenant to sign and then they'll start ground breaking. I'll try to dig up the article they were quoted

Edit: Found it! Dated 09-26-19

Quote:
Just south of Willis Tower, Murphy Development Group is seeking anchor tenants to kick off construction of 50-story office towers alongside the existing 65-story skyscraper at 311 S. Wacker Drive.

“I don’t think it’s a matter of if, it’s a matter of when,” company chairman and CEO John Murphy said of his firm’s office proposals panning out. “The post office is a real game changer for that part of the Loop.”
There are also plans for a seperate tower south of 301/321 S. Wacker
Quote:
South of there, Development Resources for years has sought tenants for a planned office building on a lot it owns at 401 S. Wacker Drive.
https://www.chicagotribune.com/colum...fre-story.html

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 8:42 PM

Apparently this still has legs and VERY hopeful planning for a fall 2021 ground breaking, according to someone I know with a major Chicago construction company. They submitted a proposal for site logistics/schedule last week.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
Apparently this still has legs and VERY hopeful planning for a fall 2021 ground breaking, according to someone I know with a major Chicago construction company. They submitted a proposal for site logistics/schedule last week.
I've heard very concrete rumors as well- this should be at city meetings in the next few months.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 9:23 PM

Has anything big changed, height, design, etc?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 9:31 PM

Twins might be a challenge in this environment. I think they have been planning to build since the 311 S. Wacker.

Last edited by DCReid; Oct 22, 2020 at 9:34 PM. Reason: Changed and resubmitted new version

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 9:32 PM

I thought I saw some article that 311 S. Wacker (the building behind and next to Willis) was supposed to have a twin that was never built, but I can't find the article.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 9:37 PM
TL;DR

Very strange, I was just thinking about this proposal this morning while driving on Lower Wacker!

It's really the only site left on Wacker that can support a major office tower. 180 N Wacker is a lowrise that could be redeveloped, but it's too slender for large floorplates.

I kind of assumed the next trophy office property to kick off after WPS and BMO would be 130 N Franklin, in some form... it's closer to Ogilvie, River North and Fulton Market. But there is definitely renewed buzz in the Southwest Loop with OPO re-opening.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 9:53 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post
I thought I saw some article that 311 S. Wacker (the building behind and next to Willis) was supposed to have a twin that was never built, but I can't find the article.
I think so, triplets even if I'm not mistaken. That would have been cool (or weird).

Good to know this is back on track potentially. Pretty boxy but sorta interesting at the same time.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2020, 12:10 AM

I'm good at taking photos of architecture, but understanding its associated real estate is not my forte.

Can someone explain to me how/why developers are planning on building any new office towers in this environment? With all the new office space coming online (110, BMO, Salesforce, Post Office, etc.) and how our society has successfully (not in all cases, obviously) learned to work from home, what's the rush to build new office space before knowing what the future work environment will look like?

Old Posted Oct 23, 2020, 12:59 AM
The City

Given the state of the office market downtown, I’m surprised that there is movement on this. Unless they’ve signed a major tenant

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Oct 23, 2020, 1:25 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexxed82 View Post
I'm good at taking photos of architecture, but understanding its associated real estate is not my forte.

Can someone explain to me how/why developers are planning on building any new office towers in this environment? With all the new office space coming online (110, BMO, Salesforce, Post Office, etc.) and how our society has successfully (not in all cases, obviously) learned to work from home, what's the rush to build new office space before knowing what the future work environment will look like?
Most of those started the planning process well before covid hit, I suppose the developers also assume that this won't last forever and it'll be nice to have a shiny new office tower to move into when it's all over. Perhaps ego is also involved / having a trophy tower to show off . While working from home will be more popular I don't know if it'll completely reshape how people work entirely. A lot of companies want people on site and hate WFH.

This is just my guess, I too am surprised by how many office towers are going up. It's even crazier in NYC.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals