HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 6, 2021, 9:40 PM
Ex Houstonian

^
Man, those are really sleek looking buildings, love em.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 6:42 PM

Capitol Riverfront/Navy Yard

Here are a couple of photos I took of several of the developments in the Capitol Riverfront/Navy Yard neighborhood earlier this week.

This is at New Jersey Ave and L Street, SE. This is the site where the Eagle Academy charter school and the taxi company were.

This is one of the buildings that is part of the CSX site development. Two residential buildings and one hotel are being built at this location. It is immediately south of I-695.

N Street, SE.

41 L Street, SE. 162 residential units are being built where a WMATA chiller was previously located.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 8:36 PM

I took these photos on Monday. This building has 49 apartments and is located at 818 Potomac Ave SE, across the street from the Virginia Ave community garden.

The building in the center is an expansion of the existing neighboring Sonder location at 816 Potomac Ave, SE. Sonder is sort of a hybrid between Air BnB and a hotel.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 8:54 PM

WMATA headquarters

WMATA will be relocating from their Judiciary Square location to the rehabbed Reporters building at 7th and D Street, SW, at L'Enfant Plaza.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 1:55 AM

Nice photos! Lots of development.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 7:22 PM

Cotton Annex, primed for a massive residential conversion, sells

By Tristan Navera
Washington Business Journal
July 12, 2021

“A California company appears to have acquired the U.S. Department of Agriculture's historic Cotton Annex building just as it is being primed for a major redevelopment.

Douglas Development Corp. sold the building at 300 12th St. SW to San Fransisco-based Carmel Partners Inc. for $45 million, according to a deed recorded Monday. Earlier this year, the U.S. Commission on Fine Arts approved plans to convert the 120,000-square-foot building into 615 residential units, 1,300 square feet of retail and 93 below-grade parking spaces.

Douglas Principal Norman Jemal didn't immediately respond to a request for comment, nor did Lee Bloch and Jacob Rosenberg, the listed leaders of Carmel's D.C. office. It's unclear if the two companies are going in together on the property, which sits a block from the National Mall, or if Douglas is divesting entirely…”

https://www.bizjournals.com/washingt...ent-sells.html

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 6:14 PM

WC Smith also built the three residential buildings in the Capitol Riverfront neighborhood known as the Collective. This building is immediately south of I-695.

WC Smith Pitches Large Residential Development at I-695 and South Capitol Street

July 13, 2021
By Nena Perry-Brown
Urban Turf

Image courtesy of Urban Turf.

"DC's South Capitol Street pipeline is expanding.

Developer WC Smith presented plans on Monday night for a 13-story, all-residential project at 850 South Capitol Street SE. As presented to ANC 6D, there is not yet a unit count for the development, although it will be all market-rate in light of its D-5 zoning.

STUDIOS Architecture shared preliminary images of the building's design, which is expected to be in two shades of brick and will have columns of balconies and two interior courtyards on the fourth floor. The penthouse level will be occupied by amenities and a pool deck..."

https://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/bl...capitol-/18485

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 8:55 PM

I don't think that address - 850 S Cap St SE - is correct. I think this building will be on the 700 block where the car wash place is now. This will nicely complete that stretch of S Cap.

Now we need to get rid of 395.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlg569 View Post
I don't think that address - 850 S Cap St SE - is correct. I think this building will be on the 700 block where the car wash place is now. This will nicely complete that stretch of S Cap.

Now we need to get rid of 395.
I agree, we should get rid of I-395 and either bury it or make it a surface street.

The address is indeed correct. This will be immediately north of the Novel South Capitol building.

The site is immediately north of the McDonald's in this photo, to the left of the car wash.

Photo courtesy of JD Land.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 9:47 PM

We also need to get rid of the coal-fired Capitol power plant and the rail spur and coal storage that is south of I-695 on the right side of the photo above. Besides the obvious environmental benefits, it is another site that could be developed.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 12:24 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
I agree, we should get rid of I-395 and either bury it or make it a surface street.

The address is indeed correct. This will be immediately north of the Novel South Capitol building.

The site is immediately north of the McDonald's in this photo, to the left of the car wash.

Photo courtesy of JD Land.
Corporate America vs civic America in one pic

Hopefully that McDonald’s gets redeveloped soon

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 1:42 PM

Yes, it was redeveloped into the Novel residential building about 2 - 3 years ago.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 6:40 PM

I thought the 800 block was between I and K - but I guess I'm wrong.

The power plant and coal storage yard is just ridiculous. Although that plant is now 100% natural gas so I don't know why the AOC still needs the coal yard. Perhaps they still sometimes burn coal. Great to do that in the middle of a city. I went to a protest at that plant in 2008 or 2009 because AOC was burning coal then. I'll have to research this.

This is what the McDonald's looks like now:

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 7:41 PM

dlg569-- Back in 2019 we went to a rooftop World Series party at the Novel building that the developer hosted. It is an impressive building with impressive views of the Capitol and the rest of Washington. The building had multiple rooftop pools and dog parks.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2021, 1:09 AM

U/C at 1200 3rd St. NE - plans call for 600+ residential units, 200 room hotel, 60k s.f. retail/restaurant, rooftop, and a pedestrian connection to the station.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 2:25 AM

Is that the lot across from the REI between M St NE and Florida Avenue? I didn't realize how large it was going to be.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2021, 2:42 AM

https://www.bisnow.com/washington-dc...-circle-109678

Quote:
Perseus TDC Starts Construction On 158-Unit Apartment Building Near Logan Circle
Washington DC
Multifamily
July 27, 2021 Jon Banister, Bisnow Washington, D.C.

A multifamily development planned for the parking lot next to 16th Street's historic Masonic temple is moving forward.

Perseus TDC announced Tuesday it broke ground on a 158-unit development at the intersection of 15th and S streets NW. A spokesperson said it began construction activity on July 19, and it expects to deliver the project in spring 2023.
Although, a civic association is appealing the zoning decision. The BZA hearing is scheduled for tomorrow: https://app.dcoz.dc.gov/CaseReport/C...?case_id=20453

Conceivably the civic association will lose and then sue.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2021, 5:11 AM

^ Finally! That vacant lot always irritated me.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2021, 6:44 PM

So much of DC's development is virtually indistinguishable from each other. Mega-block style ~10 story buildings copy and pasted over and over. I find it quite bland, for the most part. The height limit certainly influences massing, but I think there's also a conservatism to the local market there that prefers boring buildings to anything outside the box.

I guess a lot of cities are guilty of this to some extent. Just seems more noticeable in DC due to everything being the same height.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2021, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
So much of DC's development is virtually indistinguishable from each other. Mega-block style ~10 story buildings copy and pasted over and over. I find it quite bland, for the most part. The height limit certainly influences massing, but I think there's also a conservatism to the local market there that prefers boring buildings to anything outside the box.

I guess a lot of cities are guilty of this to some extent. Just seems more noticeable in DC due to everything being the same height.
I think your assessment is correct but I largely attribute it to the Height Act. If you can only build to 120 - 130 feet, developers are going to maximize every allowable square foot of space. There are some interesting buildings at the Wharf. Some of the embassies have interesting architecture, the Pan American Health Organization building, the Hepburn condos, and some of the libraries are interesting and not boxy.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations