HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

View Poll Results: If you won lottery money, would you move to a new locale?
Nah, I'm good where I'm at 58 65.91%
Probably, I do have a "dream" city 15 17.05%
Hard Yes, I can't leave fast enough 15 17.05%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 11:12 PM
devout Pizzatarian

If you won lottery money, would you move to a new locale?

i've noticed several formers recently saying things along the lines of "i like where at i'm at in city X, but if i had unlimited resources, i'd rather be in city Y".

let's say you got stupid lucky tonight playing the lottery and woke up $5M richer tomorrow morning, are you sticking around your current town, or are you bolting for greener pastures elsewhere in the world?

including "why's" and "where's" in your answer will make it more interesting.

if you're a modern globe-trotting work-from-anywhere digital nomad, this thread doesn't really apply to you. this is for those with a well defined "home" where they live most of their day to day life (not including travel and maybe a vacation property somewhere).

Last edited by Steely Dan; Sep 29, 2022 at 11:26 PM.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 11:17 PM
Posh

This is the kind of question I've often pondered to myself, and always end up concluding that there's no real conclusion for me.

Even with unlimited $$, there's no real "perfect" or "ideal" place in the world for me. There are some places that are better than others, for sure, but no place that really sticks out. Even among the better places on my list, all involve a series of tradeoffs where I would be sacrificing something to get something else.

So if I won heaps of money in the lottery, I don't know what I'd really do. I might just stay in KC.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 11:18 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

I’d upgrade my St. Louis digs for sure since I’m so rooted here, build a new wrap around porched bungalow on my ranch with prodigious landscaping (lined with poplars) and a long entrance road, and have a modest summer cabin in Taos. Perhaps a condo in Playa Del Rey (or similar) close to LAX.

Four houses is really too much to screw with though.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 11:21 PM

Yes. Manhattan. Because it would suit my preferred lifestyle, and because there’s something comforting about being in a place like Manhattan that makes me feel like I’m tucked deep into civilization. I’m weird like that.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 11:22 PM

Good question btw

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 11:26 PM

I’d likely stay in my place in Pittsburgh, with a bunch more upgrades. Pittsburgh is close to lots of family and friends… I’ll never fully leave Western Pennsylvania. My roots here run pretty deep and this is really a beautiful area of our country.

I’m fortunate and grateful to have a second (modest) home in Miami, so I’m able to spend significant time down there as well.

If $25M came my way, I’d probably buy few more small, comfortable places… likely one in Brazil, one in NYC, and one somewhere else internationally probably.

But overall, no, I’d pretty much stay put in da ‘Burgh as my primary location, traveling to other spots for long getaways to spice things up.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 11:40 PM

I would move a little bit closer to the beach.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 11:53 PM
E pluribus unum

I'd buy a house in Flagstaff, but I have no desire to move.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 12:01 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I've move to Dat Doc Beach in Vietnam. The Vietnamese people are very good people. I know plenty in my personal life. Good food, good culture, friendly people. Plus as a way to get away from it all and enjoy nature. No stress, nature and opportunities for expats on a side note.

I'd use the money to buy this. Live on the beach. American dollar can go very far.

Image Credit: https://www.google.com/travel/hotels...AAAAHQAAAAAQAw

Than would just buy out a hotel and manage it as a side job to have continuous income. If I ever need to get to Ho Chi Minh City, local airport on the island, maybe for a nice weekend getaway or for business.

Use the rest of the money to travel the world as I would hire a hotel manager in time.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 12:03 AM
America's Hometown

I would like to retire to Rehoboth Beach, DE...the money would get me one of the fancy houses along the south end of the boardwalk.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 12:12 AM
Posh

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond Agent 007 View Post
This is the kind of question I've often pondered to myself, and always end up concluding that there's no real conclusion for me.

Even with unlimited $$, there's no real "perfect" or "ideal" place in the world for me. There are some places that are better than others, for sure, but no place that really sticks out. Even among the better places on my list, all involve a series of tradeoffs where I would be sacrificing something to get something else.

So if I won heaps of money in the lottery, I don't know what I'd really do. I might just stay in KC.
Maybe here:
https://www.google.com/maps/@45.9375...7i16384!8i8192

Or here:
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.5139...7i16384!8i8192

Or here:
https://www.google.com/maps/@48.0959...7i13312!8i6656

Or here:
https://www.google.com/maps/@48.9063...7i13312!8i6656

Or here:
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3595...7i16384!8i8192

Or here:
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.5034...7i16384!8i8192

Or here:
https://www.google.com/maps/@44.9647...7i16384!8i8192

Or here:
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.2220...7i13312!8i6656

Or here:
https://www.google.com/maps/@53.0934...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 12:53 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

I'd probably buy a mountain cottage somewhere for skiing or when it's too hot in Chicago and probably live in a fancier condo....

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 1:02 AM

I wouldn't be able to leave fast enough. Even though I've been in Texas my entire life, the culture wars that dominate the news mean "enough is enough". There's no place I like more than Santa Fe. The high elevation, the mountains, the snow, the cool nights during the summer, and hassle free life are what I would look forward to. Second in line would be Boulder. Gorgeous area but too congested and too close to Denver. But I do like it.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 1:35 AM
Unicorn Wizard!

I don't know if even the lottery is enough to set you up long term in a dream, but even pretending this was a "money is no object" scenario, it's a hard question.

I don't know if I would stay in Texas or the South. But I wouldn't go overseas. I wouldn't go somewhere like Hawaii where I wouldn't fit in.

I would want to live somewhere low key that is not "paradise" by any stretch of the imagination but allows for things conducive to everyday wellness and sanity. I would want to own a modest but nice house with enough of a yard for things like a garden. It would be in a neighborhood that is quiet but also walkable with a really diverse assortment of things nearby. So it would be in a city. I would rather travel places and stay in nice hotels or vacation properties than deal with owning one.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 1:46 AM

I’d remain in São Paulo, but part-year in London wouldn’t hurt. And of course, several vacations during the year.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 3:57 AM
devout Pizzatarian

As for me, I'd stay put.

Hell, I don't think we'd even buy a different home in Chicago because we love our individual block so damn much (lots of neighbor-friends with 32 kids under the age of 10).

I'd park the 5 mil in some safe-ish investments and try to live off the interest and take it pretty easy.

The one extravagance we'd probably go for would be more frequent and exotic travel to places further afield than our typical tours road tripping around flyover country.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 5:45 AM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
i've noticed several formers recently saying things along the lines of "i like where at i'm at in city X, but if i had unlimited resources, i'd rather be in city Y".

let's say you got stupid lucky tonight playing the lottery and woke up $5M richer tomorrow morning, are you sticking around your current town, or are you bolting for greener pastures elsewhere in the world?

including "why's" and "where's" in your answer will make it more interesting.

if you're a modern globe-trotting work-from-anywhere digital nomad, this thread doesn't really apply to you. this is for those with a well defined "home" where they live most of their day to day life (not including travel and maybe a vacation property somewhere).
Same city. It's urban enough without feeling overwhelming, has great weather and accessibility to outdoor and cultural attractions, is visually appealing with scenery/landmarks, and most of my friends/family are located here as it's where I was born and raised. While I wouldn't mind trying a few other cities out for a few years but since the question is specifically about establishing a "home", I'd still pick the Bay Area.

Since we're talking about unlimited resources, I'd just get multiple residences. Multiple places sprinkled throughout like a place in the Inner Richmond, Pac Heights, as well as a penthouse at 181 Fremont, a place up in the Berkeley hills, a place down by the water in Tiburon/Belvedere, a cabin in Point Reyes, and a cabin up in the Santa Cruz Mountains. Places that I can enjoy and host family and friends.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 5:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Same city. It's urban enough without feeling overwhelming, has great weather and accessibility to outdoor and cultural attractions, is visually appealing with scenery/landmarks, and most of my friends/family are located here as it's where I was born and raised. While I wouldn't mind trying a few other cities out for a few years but since the question is specifically about establishing a "home", I'd still pick the Bay Area.

Since we're talking about unlimited resources, I'd just get multiple residences. Multiple places sprinkled throughout like a place in the Inner Richmond, Pac Heights, as well as a penthouse at 181 Fremont, a place up in the Berkeley hills, a place down by the water in Tiburon/Belvedere, a cabin in Point Reyes, and a cabin up in the Santa Cruz Mountains. Places that I can enjoy and host family and friends.
I have to say I love Sausalito. I forgot to mention it when I brought up Santa Fe.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 6:18 AM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviationGuy View Post
I have to say I love Sausalito. I forgot to mention it when I brought up Santa Fe.
Sausalito is great and really beautiful. The reason why I didn't select it is because most of the houses there are on hills, and I already have other residences in hills/mountains in mind. And while they do have houses on the water, those are houseboats. I'm not sure I'd want to live on a houseboat. But with Belvedere, I can have a place that's right on the water with a view of SF and have a place to dock my sailboat.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...0_M15025-75477

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 11:28 AM

Probably to a nicer part of the GTA, Likely buy a house in downtown Burlington or a larger home in downtown Hamilton, but not anywhere substantial.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions