HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 12:02 PM

According to Wikipedia, "Manufacturing Belt" was the name of that region before the 1970's. Somebody knows if this term was widely used as "Rust Belt", "Corn Belt", "Sun Belt" are used today?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Baltimore, Camden, and Reading were never the Rust Belt. Massachusetts was never the Rust Belt. Just because a place had manufacturing 75-100 years ago doesn't mean it's the Rust Belt.

Maybe someone can correct me, but the Rust Belt is generally accepted to be Midwest/Great Lakes cities that saw industries leave when Japan became a giant, and were run down for a couple decades. The Rust Belt is based on what happened in the 1970s and 1980s. Not every place in the Rust Belt is part of the Rust Belt, but the Rust Belt generally is Buffalo, western Pennsylvania, northern Ohio, southeast/southern Michigan, northern Indiana, and northern Illinois. At least that is what I have always thought it was.
I think every place you named was the Rust Belt at one point.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Baltimore, Camden, and Reading were never the Rust Belt. Massachusetts was never the Rust Belt. Just because a place had manufacturing 75-100 years ago doesn't mean it's the Rust Belt.

Maybe someone can correct me, but the Rust Belt is generally accepted to be Midwest/Great Lakes cities that saw industries leave when Japan became a giant, and were run down for a couple decades. The Rust Belt is based on what happened in the 1970s and 1980s. Not every place in the Rust Belt is part of the Rust Belt, but the Rust Belt generally is Buffalo, western Pennsylvania, northern Ohio, southeast/southern Michigan, northern Indiana, and northern Illinois. At least that is what I have always thought it was.
Agree. The Rust Belt is the name of the area that's economy was based on heavy manufacturing and was left--as the name the implies--to "rust" as manufacturing jobs left the US.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 3:08 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ as someone who grew up right in the middle of it, sounds good to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuriandrade View Post
According to Wikipedia, "Manufacturing Belt" was the name of that region before the 1970's. Somebody knows if this term was widely used as "Rust Belt", "Corn Belt", "Sun Belt" are used today?
i can say -- yes it was used, as were the others, but no where near as much as rust belt was used afterwards.

and its kind of nice to see most people here agree the old rust belt perjorative is quite an outdated term to be using today. time marches on.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 6:10 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:

The Rust Belt extends well into upstate NY way past Buffalo into NYS's Capital District. Western Mass is very rust belt-ish or was. As were areas in southern NH and NE MA. They largely recovered. Manchester NH since repurposed all those vacant mills into offices.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 6:14 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

What is a "recovered rust belt city"? Looks like Boston and Philly and Baltimore went to rehab and recovered from rust belt syndrome?

Massachusetts seems to have recovered, and Allentown/Bethlehem PA.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, and Baltimore are recovered rust belt cities but no Chicago? Chicago, Columbus, Grand Rapids, and Indianapolis should have some green around them.
Indy and Cbus should have nothing but white surrounding them-they were never really rust belt cities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
I've always gotten the impression that after Chicago, places like Kansas City, Columbus, Indianapolis, Grand Rapids and Minneapolis/St. Paul best represented the Midwest's attempts to shake it's Rust Belt image, at least over the past several decades.

Then again, there's places like Cincinnati that were never really Rust Belt.
If Cincinnati was never rust belt, then Columbus sure as hell was never rust belt.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 8:42 PM
E pluribus unum

I don't believe Columbus (nor any of the cities I listed in my previous post) are rust belt at all. They might share some characteristics (Cincinnati included), but not to the extent that the map implied.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
I don't believe Columbus (nor any of the cities I listed in my previous post) are rust belt at all. They might share some characteristics (Cincinnati included), but not to the extent that the map implied.
Ok I must have misunderstood the full meaning of your post. I agree that the broad brush of the map's rust belt is too broad. And I am sure there are some cities in other parts of the country that had large manufacturing bases in are more rust belt than many of the cities you listed.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 2:32 PM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
I never thought of the east coast (Boston, NY, Philly, Baltimore, DC) as rust belt. To me, the rust belt has been places like Allentown, Scranton, Altoona, Johnstown, Pittsburgh, Erie, Cleveland, Youngstown, Detroit, and places along the Ohio River. Columbus, Dayton, etc were never big or as big on manufacturing as these other locations. Detroit, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and Allentown were all the big manufacturing centers (automobiles and steel), and Scranton, Altoona, Johnstown supplied much of the materials used to produce steel.

As some folks have posted, every place has its flourishing areas and its floundering ones. Pittsburgh, in general, has recovered. Look at places that used to be problem areas like East Liberty and The Strip, but it does have areas that are starting to go downhill (Carrick).

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 8:05 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

That Ohio portion of the map is wrong. Columbus and Cincinnati were never "rust belt." Dayton, arguably due to car manufacturing and would be an island like St. Louis, but otherwise, southern Ohio was never a "rust belt" type of place. North of Route 30/Lincoln Highway is Ohio's traditional rustbelt.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy1983 View Post
I never thought of the east coast (Boston, NY, Philly, Baltimore, DC) as rust belt.
Large sections of Philadelphia and Baltimore are still pretty "rusty".

I don't think it's much of a stretch at all to call them rust belt cities, considering their industrial/manufacturing histories and associated disinvestment and massive job losses. The difference being their locations and easier/quicker post-industrial economic transitions than what has happened in regions to the west.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 8:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColDayMan View Post
That Ohio portion of the map is wrong. Columbus and Cincinnati were never "rust belt." Dayton, arguably due to car manufacturing and would be an island like St. Louis, but otherwise, southern Ohio was never a "rust belt" type of place. North of Route 30/Lincoln Highway is Ohio's traditional rustbelt.
Cincinnati was rust belt. Maybe not as bad as some of the Great Lake cities, including Chicago, due to Cincy's lower amounts of manufacturing, but Cincy was rust belt. Cincy didn't grow as much as the Great Lake cities due to the higher manufacturing base up north which is why Cincy never developed an ethnic character. If you're including Dayton, you have to include Cincy.

Look at Cincy's population loss (-42%) it's as bad as other rust belt cities, way worse than Chicago's population loss. Cincy also has a very high poverty rate. All rust belt city attributes. Not saying Cincy isn't currently changing, like other rust best cities are, but to say Cincy was never or is not rust belt is misplaced. Cincy is recovering like many other rust belt cities as it transitions its economy.

Last edited by Failte; Jan 25, 2020 at 10:45 PM.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Failte View Post
Cincinnati was rust belt. Maybe not as bad as some of the Great Lake cities, including Chicago, due to Cincy's lower amounts of manufacturing, but Cincy was rust belt. Cincy didn't grow as much as the Great Lake cities due to the higher manufacturing base up north which is why Cincy never developed an ethnic character. If you're including Dayton, you have to include Cincy.

Look at Cincy's population loss (-42%) it's as bad as other rust belt cities, way worse than Chicago's population loss. Cincy also has a very high poverty rate. All rust belt city attributes. Not saying Cincy isn't currently changing, like other rust best cities are, but to say Cincy was never or is not rust belt is misplaced. Cincy is recovering like many other rust belt cities as it transitions its economy.
When was Chicago rustbelt, it has always been a very diversified economy, don't quite understand that one.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 10:43 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysoar View Post
When was Chicago rustbelt, it has always been a very diversified economy, don't quite understand that one.
When was Chicago rust belt? Pretty much when all the other Great Lakes cities went rust belt. While Chicago had a more diversified economy than the other RB cities, it went rust belt. Certainly the '70s-'90s era; the city itself has reversed the '90s population gain. The south and west sides are bleeding population to this day due to Chicago's association with the RB also known as loss of economic opportunity.

Large population and manufacturing losses just like the other cities. Tons of manufacturing left Chicago, equal lots of rust on lots of abandoned factories, many of which were torn down. I know folks don't like to associate Chicago with RB, but it is. Chicago is more than than the upscale loop and its environs as well as the north side lakefront.

The Rust Belt is what was once called the manufacturing belt; Chicago was certainly in the both.

Last edited by Failte; Jan 25, 2020 at 10:55 PM.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2020, 2:23 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Chicago is definitely rust belt.

Anyone saying otherwise is woefully ignorant of the city's history.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2020, 2:26 AM

If the Rust Belt is a contgiuous area how could it exclude Chicago?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2020, 2:35 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

Abandonment in certain neighborhoods due to white flight and crime is way different than what happened in Youngstown (20000 jobs gone in one day, when Youngstown sheet and tube collapsed)

Northeastern Ohio is the rust belt par excellence . Chicago isn’t in the same league

Old Posted Jan 26, 2020, 2:59 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
Abandonment in certain neighborhoods due to white flight and crime is way different than what happened in Youngstown (20000 jobs gone in one day, when Youngstown sheet and tube collapsed)

Northeastern Ohio is the rust belt par excellence . Chicago isn’t in the same league
Abandonment in neighborhoods was due way more to job flight and the middle class moving out, including the black middle class. Abandonment in DC for example could be blamed more on white flight and crime than Chicago and other RB cities.

Chicago is rust belt despite it not being in the same league as NEO.

Last edited by Failte; Jan 26, 2020 at 3:11 AM.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2020, 3:00 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post

US Steel's South Works on Chicago's southside once employed 20,000 steel workers with solid middle class jobs. Today it employs zero people and the 600 acres of prime lakefront land it sat upon have been cleared and remain fallow 3 decades after the plant closed.

That story was repeated dozens of times at various industrial plants all up and down the Calumet River on Chicago's south side, from the 70s through today. Plants closed, hundreds of thousands of good middle class union jobs gone forever.

Chicago only came out on the other side so much better than Youngstown because it also has an enormous base of corporate, finance, and transportation jobs that allowed it to weather the storm better.

So while Chicago might not be the very buckle of the rust belt like NE Ohio, it's definitely still part of the belt.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jan 26, 2020 at 3:47 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions