HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Aug 25, 2022, 3:02 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by creamcityleo79 View Post
Most of those cities probably won't do it. I'm sure you can guess why...... For reference, I have family in all of the above cities and I used to live in Waukesha and the Milwaukee area. They are EXTREMELY resistant to anything like this because of the "element" it might bring out to their lily white suburbs.
sadly, you're probably right.

the considerbly greater diversity of kenosha & racine vs. the waukesha county exurbs probably does make the KRM idea more politically viable.

or at least not as much of a DOA non-starter.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Aug 25, 2022 at 3:19 PM.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2022, 3:16 PM
TL;DR

Just realized that Racine preserved its old (beautiful) C&NW station fully intact, including the old platform canopies! And it appears to be owned by the local transit agency, it has not been privatized and taken over by some cheesy train-themed bar&grill or insurance agency.

The South Milwaukee and Cudahy stations exist too, but they appear to have been sold into private hands (S Milwaukee) or the historical society (Cudahy).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Yeah, that raised my eyebrow too.

However the world's very first hydrogen powered passenger rail line just opened yesterday in Germany, so the tech now at least exists in the real world.

also, i edited the thread title to make it more inclusive to all Milwaukee transit news & discussion.
So this is a private company looking to put up the local match for a Federal grant? Very unusual. FTA/FRA will sometimes provide low-interest loans to private companies, but a grant is rare, maybe unprecedented.

There are, of course, public transit agencies that contract out the operation of transit and even some planning/administrative roles to private companies like Keolis, including Boston's whole commuter rail op and VRE in Northern Virginia.

Quote:
WUWM also notes that Wisconsin Transit & Realty’s website is incomplete, listed phone numbers do not appear to be working, and that the officials listed on the site did not respond to emails.
This part is not encouraging.

Last edited by ardecila; Aug 25, 2022 at 3:35 PM.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2022, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
sadly, you're probably right.

the considerbly greater diversity of kenosha & racine vs. the waukesha county exurbs probably does make the KRM idea more politically viable.

or at least not as much of a DOA non-starter.
Right...it'd be better to just have a stop in Wauwatosa or West Allis (could be some issues there, too) and then full speed on to Madison or the Madison suburbs. Let the WOW folks suffer in traffic because they're short-sighted and backwards.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2022, 3:43 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Just realized that Racine preserved its old (beautiful) C&NW station fully intact, including the old platform canopies! And it appears to be owned by the local transit agency, it has not been privatized and taken over by some cheesy train-themed bar&grill or insurance agency. The South Milwaukee station exists too, but it appears to have been sold into private hands.
existing station houses on the KRM route:

kenosha: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.5861...7i13312!8i6656

racine: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.7303...7i16384!8i8192

south milwaukee: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9100...7i16384!8i8192

cudahy: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9602...7i16384!8i8192

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
This part is not encouraging.
yeah, that's not a good sign at all.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 4:23 PM

Not directly related, but Amtrak California purchased the country's first set of zero-emission hydrogen-powered multiple-unit (ZEMU). If the Milwaukee commuter rail is real, at least their proposal to use hydrogen powered trains isn't unprecedented.

Article: https://www.trains.com/trn/news-revi...up-to-29-more/

Old Posted Oct 31, 2022, 12:01 AM

Group Unveils Plans To Replace 794 With Boulevard
Quote:
A new coalition, known as Rethink 794, has a vision to see Interstate 794 in downtown Milwaukee replaced with a boulevard. It’s a proposal the group thinks could save money, grow Milwaukee and better connect the city.

Their proposal, which they’re asking the Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) to study, would keep the Hoan Bridge. But the east-west elevated freeway between N. Lincoln Memorial Dr. and N. 6th St. would be replaced with a street-level boulevard.
At its core the coalition’s vision is simple: free up land consumed by an oversized freeway for development or other purposes, while also better connecting the core of the city at street level. Based on conceptual estimates, the group believes the underlying 32 acres could see $1.5 billion in new development and generate $15 million annually in new property tax revenue.
https://urbanmilwaukee.com/2022/10/1...ith-boulevard/

They said it: Milwaukee execs open to push for demolition of I794 to make room for development
Quote:
Some Milwaukee business and community leaders are open to the push by a small but vocal group of local planners and residents advocating for demolition of downtown’s Interstate 794 bridges to be replaced by a boulevard and new development, which could include offices, apartments or green space.
https://www.bizjournals.com/milwauke...s-support.html

Old Posted Oct 31, 2022, 12:41 AM
Show me the blueprints

Well, yeah.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Oct 31, 2022, 3:13 PM
TL;DR

I would argue for more of a boulevard design like the Rose Kennedy Greenway in Boston. Replacing 794 with a narrow 4-lane arterial on Clybourn St is a wasted opportunity to add park and public space, especially recreational areas (tennis, soccer, skate park, etc). Downtown neighborhoods like Third Ward are often very lacking in this kind of park space.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2022, 8:41 PM

Proposed Route for North-South BRT Line Unveiled
Quote:
The new North-South Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) line would run along 27th Street for much of Milwaukee County. Starting from the north, the line would run from Bayshore Town Center mall in Glendale, west to N. Teutonia Ave. via Silver Spring Drive, south to N. 27th St. and continuing to W. Drexel Ave. and the Northwestern Mutual Franklin campus before making a loop to the nearby Ikea store.
The 18-mile draft route would be made up of approximately 80% protected lanes and reduce end-to-end travel times by 15 minutes compared to the Milwaukee County Transit System (MCTS) PurpleLine that follows a similar route today.

According to Southeastern Wisconsin Regional Planning Commission‘s analysis, the selected route would increase ridership by 50% to 60%. The new line would serve 51,000 jobs and 116,000 residents. SEWRPC analysis found that 27% of residents along the recommended route live in poverty.
The new line is expected to open for service in 2027 or 2028 after additional planning and construction. Planning for the project has been underway since 2021.

https://urbanmilwaukee.com/2022/09/1...line-unveiled/

Old Posted Aug 11, 2023, 5:54 PM

The Hop sees continued increase in ridership since 2020
In July, The Hop gave 65,749 rides, averaging 2,121 a day.

By: Julia Marshall
Posted at 10:29 AM, Aug 11, 2023 and last updated 11:29 AM, Aug 11, 2023

https://www.tmj4.com/news/local-news...hip-since-2020

Quote:
The Hop gave a sneak peek at the July numbers on Thursday, saying the streetcar gave more than 65,000 rides, averaging more than 2,100 a day.

That's up from June when The Hop gave 50,000 rides, averaging 1,600 rides per day.
Great news. This is its most ridership since September 2019 and about 17K above July 2022. Big jump from last month too.

Committee Backs 4 Streetcar Extensions
If federal grants received, system could reach Fiserv Forum, East Side, Bronzeville and Walker's Point.

By Jeramey Jannene - Jun 28th, 2023 05:25 pm

https://urbanmilwaukee.com/2023/06/2...ar-extensions/

They're still trying to expand the network and are looking at federal grants to do so. Sounds like they get no help from the state. The short eastward expansion to the new Couture building is almost done.

2023 streetcar extension map. Image from 2040 Downtown Plan.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2023, 10:20 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Woah, if all built, that would start resembling an actual rail transit hub and spoke system!

Come on Milwaukee, you can do it!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation