HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Sep 3, 2022, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviationGuy View Post
An example I remember encountering in Boston was the cop who yelled at me for not stepping into traffic while the pedestrian crosswalk sign said "stop". He told me no one ever obeys the light. Wonder why they even have the lights?
Is it really rude if somebody is going out of their way to be informative, and ultimately save you a lot of time? I know there are cities out there where they actually ticket people for crossing without the crosswalk or walk signal. In Boston I'm pretty sure the ticket for jaywalking is a whopping $1, and they're never given out under any circumstances. In fact, we're unofficially the jaywalking capital of the whole country! So a policeman telling you that you don't have to wait, and that you won't get a ticket, seems like more of a friendly gesture than a rude one.

The lights are to keep the cars from crashing into each other, while the pedestrians play a nonstop game of frogger in between.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2022, 12:52 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post
For a car that can accelerate to 60 in 3 seconds, they’re the slowest car on the bay area highway, along with the Prius. I wonder if all of them just have it on self-driving mode.
They use the autopilot because of the repeated strokes that they get when the app on the Tesla shows the price of bitcoin continuing to plummet and so they have to lay down. And than when finally get the strength to pick their legs up, they walk out of their car that self parked in their garage and than the next day they go to walk their 5 inch overly manicured poodle only to come back to find their house burned down because of exploding batteries. Burned faster than doge coin.

Prius drivers probally add another 15 points to the rudeness factor. They are also prey for pickup trucks with flag poles on them. Sort of like when you watch NatGeo and a Lion rips the head off a Gazelle, same kind of thing. You kind of want to feel bad for the Gazelle, but its a Gazelle, and that's what a Prius is. Only a very slow Gazelle.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2022, 1:08 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
Is it really rude if somebody is going out of their way to be informative, and ultimately save you a lot of time? I know there are cities out there where they actually ticket people for crossing without the crosswalk or walk signal.
They need to start ticketing folks that cross the crosswalk when the frickin timer for the cross walk shows 2 seconds. You know those type of folks? Traffic stops at the red light, the pedestrians cross, there is a 30 second timer. Minute the timer ticks down to 2 seconds, some fella has to cross. And it's always some very old person too. By the time they cross, 1 car goes ahead and its back to red.

Its asinine! Also some cities have traffic lights that the minute it turns green, 3 seconds later its back to red and it's always on roads that have little traffic. Why give the backroads priority? This can add to the rudeness factor. Some parts of Brooklyn have such lights. And because you can't turn on red, takes forever and when you finally turn, there's a double parked box truck that complicates the drive.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2022, 3:02 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
They need to start ticketing folks that cross the crosswalk when the frickin timer for the cross walk shows 2 seconds. You know those type of folks? Traffic stops at the red light, the pedestrians cross, there is a 30 second timer. Minute the timer ticks down to 2 seconds, some fella has to cross. And it's always some very old person too. By the time they cross, 1 car goes ahead and its back to red.

Its asinine! Also some cities have traffic lights that the minute it turns green, 3 seconds later its back to red and it's always on roads that have little traffic. Why give the backroads priority? This can add to the rudeness factor. Some parts of Brooklyn have such lights. And because you can't turn on red, takes forever and when you finally turn, there's a double parked box truck that complicates the drive.
There's typically a 3-5 second grace period between the pedestrian timer ending and opposing traffic getting green here. 5-7 seconds is plenty to cross many streets. Now drivers running red lights, those are the real assholes.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2022, 11:58 PM
America's Hometown

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post

Being impatient with others for no real reason other than for one's own comfort fits squarely in the definition of rudeness.

"Not having the time" for others is impolite and comes off as being offensive.

I don't necessarily think that people from Philadelphia exhibit this as a common trait, but what you describe is basically the definition of rude.
Wasting other people's time is rude as well.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2022, 12:01 AM
America's Hometown

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Nah, Philly is rude as shit. The moment you don't floor it the nanosecond the light turns green, you have half the Delaware Valley honking at you. I absolutely love Philly but it's not getting marks for being a welcoming pleasant place. Now NYC is not as rude as its perceived to be but Philly earns every bit of theirs. The City of Brotherly Shove...

Boston is wicked pissah about their sports.
Most don't honk...they just scream "Just Goooooooo" in their cars at you.

There is quite a level of difference in horn honking one hears in Manhattan...which is to say it's constant up there and what you hear in Center City...which is far less. Fluffians are just cursing you out in their car and possibly giving you the finger for being a lousy driver. LOL

Old Posted Sep 6, 2022, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Every time I see a Tesla in the Bay Area, 9x out of 10, they are doing at least 10 under the speed limit. I've honked at more Model 3's than any other car for just sitting there at a light. Well over the four second rule. In Houston, if you were behind a Corolla, you're going at least 15 under the speed limit.
A few months ago my Model S added a feature in a software update that alerts you when the light turns green.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2022, 6:47 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labtec View Post
A few months ago my Model S added a feature in a software update that alerts you when the light turns green.
That option wasn't available in California.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions