HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 5:24 PM

Picture/Streetview of Your City that Gives You "The Feels"

Post a pic or link a streetview from your hometown/city that personally gives you "the feels". Not necessarily the coolest skyline shot or most urban street (unless that's what does it for you), but maybe a shot that only natives or locals may understand and it has some significance for you. Plus a short description.

For me, for Phoenix it would be something like this:
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4695...7i16384!8i8192

It's a view of the old Phoenix Suns arena (Veterans Memorial Coliseum aka Madhouse on McDowell) taken from the adjacent historic Fairview Place neighborhood on Palm Lane.

As a youth in my formative years I used to love going to the Suns games in their original home and loved going "downtown" (this wasn't exactly downtown). I now love the MCM saddle look of the Coliseum and the nostalgia and distinctly remember being in awe of the tall buildings of midtown and DT Phoenix I could see when driving down there. Plus the older neighborhoods were interesting to me even as a youth. Specifically Palm Lane is named after the palm trees that line the street for a couple miles as it cuts through a couple historic neighborhoods. Bonus is I remember going to the few Suns games with my late Dad when he got off work. No matter what view I have of the Coliseum looming over as I'm driving around the area, it does it for me.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 5:47 PM
你的媽媽

I'd probably go with the view from 101 North coming out of Hospital Curve, or coming out of the tunnel on the Bay Bridge, where you get your first glimpse of the skyline if you're coming in from out of the city.

https://goo.gl/maps/Ve3j9hskWaAWJ1rB6
https://goo.gl/maps/7NCcwRRiV1H5QTBG6

For more local views with personal meaning, I'd go with this intersection in SF Chinatown. The epicenter of Chinese American culture in the US, where I was born and raised, and on the playground was where I spent most of my days. You can also catch glimpses of the Transamerica Pyramid and the Bay Bridge from here. Combined with the hills, the vibrancy, the frenetic pace, it's just one of those places where the location is unmistakable and you feel it instantly. It just hits different from any other place in SF. You can feel like you're transported back in time, except now everyone has down jackets.

https://goo.gl/maps/TdeFQdNxkVQkBtxt5

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 6:04 PM

Since I've been doing a lot of commuting by bike over the Brooklyn Bridge this year, this has become one of my favorite views on my rides in the morning: https://goo.gl/maps/osPTZFCBowCZTdMTA

I'm usually on the bike path adjacent to this traffic lane, but this is just about the point where the access road to the bridge comes out of a curve and the lower Manhattan skyline comes into full view. It's a great view in the morning.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 6:31 PM

For São Paulo it's still Paulista Avenue, any section of it: https://www.google.com/maps/@-23.565...7i16384!8i8192

I don't think any place has such a stronger symbolism for either paulistanos or visitors. BTW, it's still amazing place for people who like urban vibrancy. Working, entertainment, retail and even housing all mixed together. The energy around 17:00 is great, with people going home from work, but lots of people arriving for entertainment, education or else. It's always busy and exciting.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 7:55 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri View Post
For São Paulo it's still Paulista Avenue, any section of it: https://www.google.com/maps/@-23.565...7i16384!8i8192

I don't think any place has such a stronger symbolism for either paulistanos or visitors. BTW, it's still amazing place for people who like urban vibrancy. Working, entertainment, retail and even housing all mixed together. The energy around 17:00 is great, with people going home from work, but lots of people arriving for entertainment, education or else. It's always busy and exciting.
Southern hemisphere New York right there.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 8:22 PM

Avenida Paulista reminds me more of Chicago than New York.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 8:47 PM

For me, it was while entering North Buffalo after driving in from the airport, where traffic slows down, and is first sign of the many blocks of 2 and 3 story 100 year old homes, and trees that keep growing taller, engulfing you as you enter the neighborhoods alongside Delaware Park and Parkside.

https://goo.gl/maps/c76hLECkwJSt2cCM9

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 9:20 PM
them bones

Phoenix has so many promontory points that combine city + mountains it's really hard for me to choose. Love coming south on the 51 through the Dreamy Draw, south on 7th Street near Shaw Butte/North Mountain, west on Lincoln cresting the base of Squaw Peak over the Biltmore, cresting McDowell through Papago Park (either direction), coming around the curve at Priest eastbound on the 202 staring at Town Lake and Tempe...

But the three I love most:
Driving through Sky Harbor (headed east): https://goo.gl/maps/r6kd5qn6rgoJC3346 (maybe because you get to drive on the left hand side of the road)

Hole in the Rock at Papago Park:

IMG_8916 by Michael Stroh, on Flickr

The top of Tempe Butte:

IMG_8973 by Michael Stroh, on Flickr

Those two experiences totally say 'home' to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
Post a pic or link a streetview from your hometown/city that personally gives you "the feels". Not necessarily the coolest skyline shot or most urban street (unless that's what does it for you), but maybe a shot that only natives or locals may understand and it has some significance for you. Plus a short description.

For me, for Phoenix it would be something like this:
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4695...7i16384!8i8192

It's a view of the old Phoenix Suns arena (Veterans Memorial Coliseum aka Madhouse on McDowell) taken from the adjacent historic Fairview Place neighborhood on Palm Lane.

As a youth in my formative years I used to love going to the Suns games in their original home and loved going "downtown" (this wasn't exactly downtown). I now love the MCM saddle look of the Coliseum and the nostalgia and distinctly remember being in awe of the tall buildings of midtown and DT Phoenix I could see when driving down there. Plus the older neighborhoods were interesting to me even as a youth. Specifically Palm Lane is named after the palm trees that line the street for a couple miles as it cuts through a couple historic neighborhoods. Bonus is I remember going to the few Suns games with my late Dad when he got off work. No matter what view I have of the Coliseum looming over as I'm driving around the area, it does it for me.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2022, 3:59 AM
E pluribus unum

Old Posted Aug 13, 2022, 4:23 AM

I'm going with my former hometown of Chicago.

(I could opt for a neighborhood streetview but I'd want one that includes greystones, bungalows, 2 flats, 3 flats, 6 flats, and courtyard buildings to truly capture the beauty of Chicago's residential areas, but I don't know if there's one streetview that can capture all of that so I opted for a classic downtown view.)

Old Posted Aug 13, 2022, 4:31 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Houston. Coming north on I-45

https://goo.gl/maps/yEzXV98fDT5aqhtR8

Old Posted Aug 13, 2022, 5:10 AM

The full 360 when you go over the I-195 bridge (Julia Tuttle Causeway) to Miami Beach. The blue water, the 360 view, the vibe of heading to the beach...etc:
https://www.google.com/maps/@25.8105...7i16384!8i8192

Its tough to beat the view from the William Powell Bridge on the Rickenbacker Causeway to Key Biscayne
https://www.google.com/maps/@25.7465...7i16384!8i8192

The I-95 express flyover ramp is always fun: https://www.google.com/maps/@25.9218...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Aug 13, 2022, 1:31 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Could go either way. Park Avenue or Wacker Drive. Av. Paulista is wider than either of them, though, and certainly longer than Wacker.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2022, 2:13 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
I'm going with my former hometown of Chicago.

(I could opt for a neighborhood streetview but I'd want one that includes greystones, bungalows, 2 flats, 3 flats, 6 flats, and courtyard buildings to truly capture the beauty of Chicago's residential areas, but I don't know if there's one streetview that can capture all of that so I opted for a classic downtown view.)
wow...that streetview really proves that Chicago is one of the most large beautiful cities, not just in the USA, but the entire world. If this view were in Europe it would be a top 3 destination.

note how much better the modernism works than in NYC- compare the view from the brooklyn bridge park to downtown manhattan (all the beige boxes)

and the more modern glass/deco juxtaposition sets off the older modernism nicely

Old Posted Aug 13, 2022, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinlee View Post
Southern hemisphere New York right there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Could go either way. Park Avenue or Wacker Drive. Av. Paulista is wider than either of them, though, and certainly longer than Wacker.
I've told this year, but what I like Paulista Avenue the most it's how it congregates people over this axis, with all the mixtures I described above. Big, dense cities like London, New York or Tokyo are always busy, but there isn't a focal place like it.

And the symbolism too: first the name (paulista is the demonym for São Paulo state); it's on a ridge, the highest site of the urban area and its linear skyline can be seen from far away. On the turn of the last century, it was the place where the coffee barons built their mansions, coffee that sparked São Paulo's insane growth. Then, it transformed rapidly and when Downtown SP started to decline in the 1970's, it became São Paulo's financial centre. Today, the financial centre moved once again, southwestwards, but the avenue is more vibrant than ever.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2022, 3:40 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

cleveland from lake erie
always
from being out there in boats as a kid

these days its manhattan and the ny harbor views via staten island ferry commuting

Old Posted Aug 13, 2022, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri View Post
I've told this year, but what I like Paulista Avenue the most it's how it congregates people over this axis, with all the mixtures I described above. Big, dense cities like London, New York or Tokyo are always busy, but there isn't a focal place like it.
Broadway would be the NYC analogy to Avenida Paulista. I guess in Paris it would be Champs Elysees.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2022, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Yeah, Paulista screams Wacker Drive to me. I can see some resemblance to Park Avenue, but I think Park has much more prewar influence than Wacker or Paulista.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2022, 5:43 PM
if I sang out of tune

London's Eros Statue in Piccadilly Circus used to mark the demarcation between the West End at large and the specific sex district of Soho. Nowadays the neon has been allowed to remain on only one last corner, the 600 sex businesses have closed, as has much of the media village, though Chinatown and the Gay village are still going strong, despite a shadow of what was once the largest nightlife district in the West (24-7 with 500,000 punters a night and doubling on weekends).

From streets away you'd hear the sound of distant drums echoing off the buildings - an army of African drummers who'd improvise near the statue, under an awning that became the Japan Centre, the sound deafening close up, but rising and falling in different crescendoes. The area very much embodied the city for me then, as a runaway from the shitsville suburbs - old and new, rich and poor, classy and seedy, where all walks of life rubbed shoulders. It was edgy, often dangerous, glamourous, but also very free and atmospheric, you really felt you were in a circus of humanity.

Of course nowadays it's been sanitised, with the neon taken down to reveal the beautiful buildings beneath -but these pics still hold the 'feel' for me. Imagine the people under the statue -now a preserve of tourists - were once exhausted punks, club kids, models, rent boys, buskers, drummers, new migrants, runaways, millionaires and criminals, jettisoned from the nightlife areas next door:

I'm probably romanticising my memories, but it was a bit like Bladerunner in a historic setting, populated by freaks. Every now and then the batshit crazy Hare Krishnas would dance through, or cavalcades of revving Hells Angels, break dancers, the rickshaw army (before they became a scam) or techno buses that would totally hijack the space for a few mins. London doesn't really do that any more, it's all been priced out

Last edited by muppet; Aug 15, 2022 at 5:53 PM.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Houston. Coming north on I-45

https://goo.gl/maps/yEzXV98fDT5aqhtR8
I love that view as well! The combination of the city skyline and the tall palm trees are so great. I'm lucky I get to see it every single morning when I commute to work over on the west side from my home in Magnolia Park!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions