HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

View Poll Results: Were you shocked by any of the cities on the list or the order in which they appeared
Yes 9 39.13%
No 14 60.87%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Aug 6, 2022, 6:18 PM

No need to apologize

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dariusb View Post
Hey guys, I just read some of the comments. Just wanted to apologize about the thread. I thought it'd be such a good topic starter that I didn't pay attention or research the info in the video. Again my apologies. So go easy on me.
It is always difficult to make such comparisons particularly because the various sources of information are often problematic. Fortunately, in Atlanta, in the Atlanta subsection, we have a very good record keeper on buildings under construction in the city and a good record of buildings being planned. There is such a mixture of construction activity in the ATL metro that keeping track of it is a challenge. I am sure that this is the case elsewhere. So city comparisons are always a challenge.
In addition, there are not good definitions of building height and size for comparisons. E.g. as in many places there are many apartment complexes being constructed that are wood on concrete parking platforms that are very large and usually 5 floors over the platform. These are ubiquitous and add many apartments to the city, but they are not really highrises.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2022, 7:57 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Definitely a bit dated now in Aug 2022. SF currently has 0 skyscrapers u/c and maybe like 3 highrises u/c.
Yep, and I just got back for Denver and they got to have 20 to 30 highrises going up right now if not more.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2022, 8:45 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I'd love to see an accurate count on a state level of how many skyscrapers/high rises are u/c and also present/complete.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2022, 9:47 PM

If there are currently 44 skyscrapers u/c in Montreal right now, we certainly don’t have the same definition of what a skyscraper is.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2022, 1:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
If there are currently 44 skyscrapers u/c in Montreal right now, we certainly don’t have the same definition of what a skyscraper is.
The list includes 'high rises' or buildings taller than 150 feet in addition to skyscrapers defined as 328 feet. In the skyscraper building diagram section I count at least 33 Montreal buildings over 50 meters (or nearly 150 feet). Since the list also includes more than the core of the city, Montreal must have buildings under construction in some of the neighborhoods outside the downtown. Would we guess possibly apartments and condos under construction near some metro stops? Toronto has several high rise clusters in neighborhoods besides downtown, so it must be doing the same, although its downtown is booming with construction as well.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2022, 3:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
I'd love to see an accurate count on a state level of how many skyscrapers/high rises are u/c and also present/complete.
I might make a video based on that idea, but with different definitions of skyscrapers and highrises.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2022, 8:35 AM
perhaps . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post
The list includes 'high rises' or buildings taller than 150 feet in addition to skyscrapers defined as 328 feet. In the skyscraper building diagram section I count at least 33 Montreal buildings over 50 meters (or nearly 150 feet). Since the list also includes more than the core of the city, Montreal must have buildings under construction in some of the neighborhoods outside the downtown. Would we guess possibly apartments and condos under construction near some metro stops? Toronto has several high rise clusters in neighborhoods besides downtown, so it must be doing the same, although its downtown is booming with construction as well.
Montréal does not have high rise clusters outside downtown akin to Toronto or Vancouver: not in number, size or height . . . not even close.

Last edited by Marshal; Aug 8, 2022 at 7:38 AM.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2022, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshal View Post
Montreal does not have high rise clusters outside downtown akin to Toronto or Vancouver: not in number, size or height . . . not even close.
It's for metropolitan areas, there are probably 10 more highrise going up in the suburbs around the island of Montreal, + the Royalmount project.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2022, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post

The diffintion are given in the video and based on those Montreal has 44

Old Posted Aug 7, 2022, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
I'm a little suspicious that Toronto is building as much as NYC.
The number for the city of Toronto is accurate based on the diffinition in the video.

Is the NYC number inaccurate?

Old Posted Aug 8, 2022, 3:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
This seems like a totally made up list.

Just doing a quick diagram search reveals there is not a single skyscraper in Atlanta under construction right now...
As usual when it comes to Atlanta, you have absolutely no clue of what you are talking about.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2022, 7:38 AM
perhaps . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaterMontréal View Post
It's for metropolitan areas, there are probably 10 more highrise going up in the suburbs around the island of Montreal, + the Royalmount project.
Is it? For Vancouver, the city proper does not have too much activity right now (though still 15 at least) while Metro Vancouver has many many more (on the order of 50+ would be a guess). So, if its for the metro area for Montréal, it isn't for Vancouver (otherwise it would be on the list).

Anyway, Montréal's downtown boom is pretty impressive. The result finally makes Montréal look its size again.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2022, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite View Post
if the list included Canada the top 3 would look like this:

1: Toronto: 197
2: New York: 183
3: Montreal: 44

Yes Atlanta seems very suspicious on this list especially at #2 since it has 0 high-rises under construction in the SSP Database.
Also half the videos from the channel is about Atlanta skyline.
Yeah, I’m a bit skeptical that Chicago isn’t on your list. Where are you getting your numbers?

If you’re going off the SSP database then you’re likely using outdated/inaccurate data. It only lists Chicago as having 4 under construction lol

Last edited by skyhigh07; Aug 8, 2022 at 2:13 PM.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2022, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
This seems like a totally made up list.

Just doing a quick diagram search reveals there is not a single skyscraper in Atlanta under construction right now...

here you go.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2022, 2:20 PM

^^^I think some people on here are taking the SSP database as gospel. Some cities seem much more updated than others lol

Old Posted Aug 8, 2022, 3:56 PM
Back on the road again

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy View Post
As usual when it comes to Atlanta, you have absolutely no clue of what you are talking about.
Yep....hyper extreme anti-Atlanta animus. Good god. The skyline is exploding with tower cranes in every direction.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2022, 4:11 PM

The Atlanta list is just within the city limits. That doesn’t include any of the high rises surrounding the city. Including those I’d say there’s at least another 20 under construction. Including North Fulton and Gwinnett it might even be over 40 currently under construction outside the city limits

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Old Posted Aug 8, 2022, 4:13 PM

So I don't know the exact numbers for Atlanta, but the claim that "the skyline is exploding with tower cranes in every direction" is absurdity. I was in downtown Atlanta for work two weeks ago and didn't notice anything major U/C.

No doubt there's some construction somewhere downtown, but we aren't exactly talking Dubai here.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2022, 4:21 PM
Back on the road again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
So I don't know the exact numbers for Atlanta, but the claim that "the skyline is exploding with tower cranes in every direction" is absurdity. I was in downtown Atlanta for work two weeks ago and didn't notice anything major U/C.

No doubt there's some construction somewhere downtown, but we aren't exactly talking Dubai here.
You weren't looking very closely then. "didn't notice anything major U/C" strains credulity.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2022, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveD View Post
Yep....hyper extreme anti-Atlanta animus. Good god. The skyline is exploding with tower cranes in every direction.
lol get over yourselves and stop being sensitive. You're surprised that people aren't hyper aware of every obscure 10 story building proposed or broke ground in a city they have nothing to do with? It's not some Atlanta hate conspiracy, you're not that important.

So you have a handful of 30-something story buildings, great. But that's still not near other skyscraper construction going on. Austin has way more and bigger projects happening, even Boston has multiple 500ft+ towers happening right now. But Boston is placed last on the list? You're obviously not near #2 in skyscraper construction. That's not like a diss at Atlanta or anything, it's just looking at the truth.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions