HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 3:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey View Post
People without cars and car insurance benefit from roads. These folks may take the bus, Uber, taxi, bike or carpool. All those use roads.

All the food and goods they buy in stores are trucked in, so they benefit from roads and road repairs.

Therefore all taxpayers should contribute to road maintenance, not just those with auto insurance.

Bad public policy to divert MPI profits to roads and maintenance IMO.
i Disagree. The roads already exist. There is no additional benefit to non drivers if the road is smooth vs if it is bumpy. The delivery trucks arrive, maybe 10 minutes later than the could. On a 14 hour drive from Calgary the 10minute delay is less than the variance from rush hour, but for a significant cost increase.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey View Post
People without cars and car insurance benefit from roads. These folks may take the bus, Uber, taxi, bike or carpool. All those use roads.

All the food and goods they buy in stores are trucked in, so they benefit from roads and road repairs.

Therefore all taxpayers should contribute to road maintenance, not just those with auto insurance.

Bad public policy to divert MPI profits to roads and maintenance IMO.
I disagree with Bodagin's idea of MPI shuffling surplus money to roads, but remember that taxis, Ubers, busses all currently pay MPI to use insure their vehicles. Trucks would be insured as well, whether here or elsewhere in the country/continent.

Personal vehicles have an outsized per-capita contribution to the wear and tear on the roads so if this plan would go ahead, it would be fairly equitable to the wear they place on the roads, similarly to a gas tax.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 2:19 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodaggin View Post
Yes, and yes. I'll accept your shame on the Reddit side. It's warranted. But, numbers.

The suggestion is not for MPI to solely fund the roads. The suggestion is for excess MPI surplus to be diverted to roads, instead of being wasted on rebates. Surplus only, when surplus exists. If no surplus exists, no transfers occur. Existing gov road budgets remain unchanged and unrelated to this. It's a bonus only, as a means of tackling the ginormous infrastructure deficit in this province and city.
This $$ would become part of the government general revenue and probably not amount to one additional shovel in the ground for road work.

See gas tax.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
This $$ would become part of the government general revenue and probably not amount to one additional shovel in the ground for road work.

See gas tax.
100% valid and agree. Gooberment is a squander-fest. Rigid rules would have to be followed. If that meant MPI direct-funding projects themselves, so beit. To clarify, not MPI managing road projects. Merely funding projects directly, to reduce the chance of misappropriation. It's 1 idea, there's other ways.

Bottom line, these funds could NOT:

-Be relied upon or expected.
-Be grouped into general revenue pool.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
^I pay MPI to insure my vehicle. I don't pay them to fix roads or do other things NOT related to the insurance of my vehicle. If that's part of the contract I want to know that up front.

Otherwise, you are stealing from me.
It's not uncommon for auto insurers to invest in road safety projects. In the US, State Farm provides funding to cities to remediate dangerous intersections.

In Canada, ICBC has been funding road safety and road improvement projects in BC since 1990. Their research shows for every $1 invested in road safety, $4.70 comes back in savings. ICBC funded road safety improvements can include rumble strips, flashing beacons at pedestrian crosswalks, traffic signal upgrades, etc. https://www.icbc.com/road-safety/com...d-improvements

More details about ICBC's Road Improvement Program:
https://www.icbc.com/about-icbc/newsroom/2021-jan05

Last edited by Ozabald; Mar 15, 2024 at 6:10 PM. Reason: more details

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozabald View Post
It's not uncommon for auto insurers to invest in road safety projects. In the US, State Farm provides funding to cities to remediate dangerous intersections.

In Canada, ICBC has been funding road safety and road improvement projects in BC since 1990. Their research shows for every $1 invested in road safety, $4.70 comes back in savings. ICBC funded road safety improvements can include rumble strips, flashing beacons at pedestrian crosswalks, traffic signal upgrades, etc. https://www.icbc.com/road-safety/com...d-improvements

More details about ICBC's Road Improvement Program:
https://www.icbc.com/about-icbc/newsroom/2021-jan05
100%. Three methods to increase road safety and reduce accidents:

1: Engineering
2: Education
3: Enforcement

In that order. MB deals with safety in the exact opposite order.

So yes, engineering, better roads, better road design, uncratered roads is absolutely in the crown insurer's purview. It shouldn't be made a mandate. But it totally relates.

Less potholes = less pothole claims = lower premiums. It's an investment. Same applies to dangerous intersections.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodaggin View Post
100%. Three methods to increase road safety and reduce accidents:

1: Engineering
2: Education
3: Enforcement

In that order. MB deals with safety in the exact opposite order.

So yes, engineering, better roads, better road design, uncratered roads is absolutely in the crown insurer's purview. It shouldn't be made a mandate. But it totally relates.

Less potholes = less pothole claims = lower premiums. It's an investment. Same applies to dangerous intersections.
It's a little bit of a bait and switch using ICBC as the example. Their program is for safety improvements like the post OP said, lights, rumble strips, etc. Not any road repairs as you're advocating for. Personally, I don't believe in rebates either, I think it should be reinvested primarily into fixing some critical shortages for MPI, like road testing and then it should go to process digitization in conjunction with the province to develop universal cards (health, driver, voting, etc all chipped into the card) to be distributed by MPI . I could get behind MPI money going into modernizing crosswalks and adding new lighting though, like they do it in BC.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2024, 11:09 AM

The potholes in Winnipeg are something else. They dont even bother painting dividing lines on the roads either. Winnipeg's roads rival a Third World country.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2024, 5:43 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
The potholes in Winnipeg are something else. They dont even bother painting dividing lines on the roads either. Winnipeg's roads rival a Third World country.
Ever since they city and province switched to the water-based paint they use, it wears out twice or three times faster than the old road paint they used back in the day.

Even with the added benefit of mixing in reflective material in the paint, on the highways, the yellow paint looks the same as the white paint at night when your headlights are shining on the painted lines with the embedded reflective material.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2024, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
It's a little bit of a bait and switch using ICBC as the example. Their program is for safety improvements like the post OP said, lights, rumble strips, etc. Not any road repairs as you're advocating for. Personally, I don't believe in rebates either, I think it should be reinvested primarily into fixing some critical shortages for MPI, like road testing and then it should go to process digitization in conjunction with the province to develop universal cards (health, driver, voting, etc all chipped into the card) to be distributed by MPI . I could get behind MPI money going into modernizing crosswalks and adding new lighting though, like they do it in BC.
Did some further digging and the ICBC Road Improvement Program does include road repairs and general maintenance. The City of Richmond, for example, received ICBC funding in 2021 for the re-striping of lane lines.

ICBC funded road repair projects have included road surface repairs, resurfacing, shoulder improvements, drainage systems repair/replacement, and replacement of concrete road panels with asphalt.

Last edited by Ozabald; Mar 18, 2024 at 1:58 PM. Reason: grammar

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan