PENN 15 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jul 13, 2010, 7:21 PM
Ω

Quote:
Originally Posted by BStyles View Post
Aren't all office supertalls erected with steel? I'm saying I hope this rises being built with steel instead of concrete, which is what they're using nowadays.
The first skyscrapers in New York and Chicago were made of steel. Concrete skyscrapers came afterward. Steel and concrete are the only materials used as the primary structure for a skyscraper.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2010, 4:03 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
http://www.dnainfo.com/20100616/manh...l-pennsylvania

City Will Vote July 14 on Plan to Raze Hotel Pennsylvania
The City Planning Commission will vote on whether to allow Vornado to turn the Pennsylvania Hotel into a 67-story office tower.

By Jill Colvin
June 16, 2010
Is anyone planning to attend this vote today?

Old Posted Jul 14, 2010, 4:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
Is anyone planning to attend this vote today?
wat time will it be held?

Old Posted Jul 14, 2010, 4:13 AM
BANNED

I don't know.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2010, 8:26 PM

have they voted yet?

Old Posted Jul 15, 2010, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Hotel Pennsylvania is One Giant Step Closer to Demolition

If approved by the City Council, the new 15 Penn Plaza office tower will become one of the tallest buildings in the city.

July 14, 2010 8:04pm
By Jill Colvin

MANHATTAN — It looks like lights out for Hotel Pennsylvania.

The City Planning Commission voted unanimously Wednesday in favor of razing the storied hotel to make way for a new Vornado Realty office tower, despite fierce opposition by Community Board 5.

If the decision is approved by the City Council, the new 1,200-foot 15 Penn Plaza tower will become one of the tallest buildings in the city and add nearly two million square feet of commercial floor space to midtown, according to an environmental impact statement filed with the commission.

The project also includes the re-opening of an underground passageway under the south side of 33rd Street, which will connect the Sixth and Seventh Avenue subway lines as well as the PATH trains so commuters no longer have to transfer outside.

Planning Commission Chair Amanda Burden said the property, directly across from Penn Station and Madison Square Garden, is an "ideal location for high density development."

"At nearly 80,000 square feet, the site offers an opportunity for precisely the type of well-designed…office building that New York City needs to stay globally competitive," she said before casting a 'yea' vote.

Vornado Realty Trust, which acquired full rights to the hotel in 1999, would not comment on the decision.
Read more: http://www.dnainfo.com/20100714/manh...#ixzz0tiM12Dxh

Old Posted Jul 15, 2010, 2:44 AM

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Praise God!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I COULDNT BE HAPPIER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Posted Jul 15, 2010, 2:54 AM

So far, so good!

Old Posted Jul 15, 2010, 9:02 AM
The Time To Build Is Now

Quote:
Planning Commission Chair Amanda Burden said the property, directly across from Penn Station and Madison Square Garden, is an "ideal location for high density development."
I can't believe Amanda Burden actually made that statement

Old Posted Jul 15, 2010, 2:42 PM
Editor

Great, that one is approved!

Old Posted Jul 15, 2010, 6:03 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWorldTradeCenter View Post
Great, that one is approved!
Still needs approval of the City Council and eventually an anchor tenant.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2010, 7:28 PM

as i see it, this is about as far along as Philadelphia's approved 1500 footer. It still needs final approval and an anchor tenant.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2010, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian.odonnell20 View Post
as i see it, this is about as far along as Philadelphia's approved 1500 footer. It still needs final approval and an anchor tenant.
I don't know what project you're referring to, but there are probably no 1500 foot conventional office buildings that are going to be built anywhere on the face of earth, least of all in a market like Philly.

Yes, there may be some subsidized towers in the developing world, or special cases like WTC or the MSG site, but a 1500 foot tower makes no sense on any level. Office buildings are built to make money.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2010, 10:36 PM

sorry if i was a little vague. Its called the american commerce center, its a mixed use tower with 63 office floors, and a ~500 ft residential mid-rise next to it. And I guess it might seem unlikely but it has full approval and just needs an anchor tenant to start construction, making it as I said before just as far along as 15 penn plaza. nyc isn't the only place to build supertalls in the country.

If you think im making it up look at the philly diagram...

Old Posted Jul 15, 2010, 10:53 PM
World Machine

I guess Amanda isn't so bad.....

Old Posted Jul 16, 2010, 1:08 AM
Ω

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC4Life View Post
she's a little more complex and intelligent than this forum likes to portray her. I found this article a while back when all the tour nouvel stuff was going down.

http://www.vanityfair.com/society/fe...-burden-201005

she has quite the credentials and used to be really good looking too (still is for how old she's getting.

Last edited by Zerton; Jul 16, 2010 at 1:23 PM.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2010, 12:26 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerton
she's a little more complex and intelligent than this forum likes to portray her. I found this article a while back when all the tour nouvel stuff was going down.
Well, anyone that has followed planning issues here should know that Amanda Burden has been behind a lot of the new development. It just so happens that the one thing she really screwed up was the one tower that people wanted to see rise above all others. But as far as develoment goes, she's on record of being in favor of highrises and high density.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC4Life View Post
Why wouldn't she? She's the head of City Planning. It's the efforts of city planning that is leading to the transformation of the west side into the city's newest business district, where the new large towers of midtown will rise. I've said all along that this is as much a city development as it is Vornado's.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/m...iuWflUwvl5qP3K

Penn Plaza tower OK'd

By TOM TOPOUSIS
July 15, 2010

Quote:
Zone it and they will come.

At least that's what the developer of a proposed behemoth of a tower on the site of the Hotel Pennsylvania is hoping now that city planners yesterday approved zoning changes needed to build a skyscraper taller than the Chrysler Building.

The approvals more than double the size of a building that could go up on Seventh Avenue, between 33rd and 32nd Streets, where developer Vornado wants to build as much as 2.83 million square feet of office space.

Final approval rests with the City Council.

No construction is expected until Vornado signs a major tenant for the project. Planning Commissioner Amanda Burden praised the proposed tower, citing its location across Seventh Avenue from the key transit hub of Penn Station.

The tower, with 67 floors and up to 1,216 feet, would be the city's third tallest after the Empire State and Bank of America buildings.
But completion in 2013 of 1 World Trade Center, formerly known as the Freedom Tower, would bump the Penn Plaza tower down to fourth place.
The tower would actually be the third tallest after the Freedom Tower and Empire State. Also, towers 2 and 3 at the WTC would be taller.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2010, 5:56 AM
Metal Up Your !

It's approved?

Yeeeehaw!

Old Posted Jul 17, 2010, 12:04 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotizzy View Post
It's approved?
Yeeeehaw!
There's still the matter of the City Council giving the final "stamp" to the development. At that point, it will join the ranks of the Manhattan West, and Hudson Yards towers as skyscrapers in Midtown awaiting tenants to begin construction. It won't be as costly as those other two because there is no platform necessary, but there is the matter of closing and demolishing the hotel. Vornado also plans to build the "Penn East" tower (somewhat) accross the street. That one is near 1,000 ft, and is "assumed" to be under construction around the same time, according to the planning documents. But like everything else, it will all be determined by landing tenants.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2010, 1:50 PM

Vornado also plans to build the "Penn East" tower (somewhat) accross the street. That one is near 1,000 ft, and is "assumed" to be under construction around the same time, according to the planning documents. But like everything else, it will all be determined by landing tenants.[/QUOTE]

across the street where? not in the garden

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals