HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 1, 2021, 4:31 AM

Anglican churches are also being targeted by arsonists as well yet they have worked hard for reconciliation with the first nations for years.

A good friend of our family was indigenous and also a devout Roman Catholic. These fires are also attacks on their own communities.

Yes, the churches got out of administering residential schools in the 1960s as suggested. My understanding is that the schools were taken over by the first nations at that time. I am really having a hard time wrapping my mind around this and many of the hostile comments that have been made on various sites. It is implied that that churches operated these schools and that the same degree of abuse continued until 1996, which has amplified the anger.

I just viewed a video in which a first nations spokesperson condoned the church fires. It was shocking. At some point, first nations leadership needs to reign in this behaviour, which is definitely not promoting reconciliation. It also seems to me that federally funded searches of residential school cemeteries meant as a step in reconciliation is having the opposite affect and amplifying anger and mistrust.

I am saddened by what I am seeing. And then all the anarchists and wingnuts are also coming out of the woodwork.

Last edited by lrt's friend; Jul 1, 2021 at 4:42 AM.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2021, 4:42 AM
I am a typical

The Catholic Church won't even apologize for its role in the organized killing of over 150,000 people in Yugoslavia in the 1940s, and they were white and Christian! So why would it apologize for this?

First nations leadership are as responsible for the individuals committing these arsons as white nationalist politicians like Donald Trump and media personalities like Tucker Carlson are for the terror rampages that white supremacists commit across America. To hold them to account for this is an exercise in hypocrisy. Until several months ago the only senator from my region was notable for repeatedly insisting that residential schools were good and no one pointed at the national culture and said "Bad!" Well, I did, but you guys didn't like that.

A lot of people are angered by this and traumatized by having it brought up again and again and we don't really have a national strategy to help them cope, so of course these outbursts are happening. They also happened in the past (churches being burned down on reserves is uncommon but not unheard of), and they will continue to happen.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2021, 11:11 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
. Until several months ago the only senator from my region was notable for repeatedly insisting that residential schools were good and no one pointed at the national culture and said "Bad!" Well, I did, but you guys didn't like that.
Lynn Beyak was unanimously denounced, was removed from her party and from the Senate.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2021, 11:15 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post

First nations leadership are as responsible for the individuals committing these arsons as white nationalist politicians like Donald Trump and media personalities like Tucker Carlson are for the terror rampages that white supremacists commit across America.
(...)
First Nations leaders are definitely not responsible for this, I'd agree.

The FN person quoted by lrt seems to be an outlier.

I'd even go as far as to say that there is a very good chance that many of the arsonists aren't even Indigenous people themselves, but rather non-Indigenous people who got fired up (pardon the pun) by the cause due to tne current news cycle.

Or maybe they are some other types of extremists who pretend to care about the Indigenous cause and use this as an excuse to tear things down.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2021, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
First Nations leaders are definitely not responsible for this, I'd agree.

The FN person quoted by lrt seems to be an outlier.

I'd even go as far as to say that there is a very good chance that many of the arsonists aren't even Indigenous people themselves, but rather non-Indigenous people who got fired up (pardon the pun) by the cause due to tne current news cycle.

Or maybe they are some other types of extremists who pretend to care about the Indigenous cause and use this as an excuse to tear things down.
I have considered that as a possibility especially at the church in Morinville.

There is certainly evidence of extremist views within some indigenous communities.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2021, 8:02 PM

These people that are burning down churches are nothing more than a bunch of violent thugs who are taking advantage of a current socio-political situation to justify their criminality.

Throw the book at them.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2021, 1:31 AM

I just hate all the new churches architecturally. Losing the old ones is a real shame.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2021, 5:56 AM
Beer me Captain

Happy Canada Day!!
Quote:
Calgary police investigate after at least 11 Catholic churches vandalized with orange and red paint
The vandalism at the churches included spattered paint over a statue of Jesus Christ, painted handprints on doors and text reading “Charge the priests” and “Our lives matter.”

At one church, a window was smashed so paint could also be thrown inside. At another, Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary Ukrainian Catholic Church in Renfrew, the number 751 was spray-painted across the sign, a reference to the 751 unmarked graves identified by Saskatchewan’s Cowessess First Nation at the site of the former Marieval Indian Residential School.
LINK

BTW, I would have linked the CBC article about these "hate" crimes .... except that as of midnight MST CBC didn't even seem to have this news event on their website.

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2021, 3:20 PM

Came across this church Russo orthodox church from about 1904. in the Smoky Lake area NE of Edmonton.

[IMG]Vt2 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/[/url], on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 1:45 PM

Notre-Dame-des-Sept-Douleurs (Verdun borough, Montreal)
1911-1914.
Architecte: Joseph Vienne.

SOURCE

SOURCE

SOURCE

SOURCE

SOURCE

SOURCE

SOURCE

SOURCE

SOURCE

Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 3:04 PM
The Vomit Bag.

another Montreal-area beauty. I have been past it hundreds of times, but never got to see the inside.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 7:51 PM

Every Quebec village, even the most insignificant one, typically has a nice centenarian Catholic church at its core. I'm not religious in the least (except when I need to declare myself Pastafarian ) but as an architecture/heritage lover, I can appreciate that.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 12:49 AM

Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 3:57 PM
Fake News

Cool Cham Shan temple!

On that note of non Western churches here are some more modest Buddhist temple renos from Calgary:

Bridgeland Buddhist Temple was converted from an old Christian Church (unsure the denomination). I think it's quite an improvement.

Before:

After:

Avatamsaka Buddhist Monastery:

Before:

After:

They cheaped out on the materials so not as nice.

Last edited by O-tacular; Sep 2, 2021 at 9:54 PM.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 4:02 PM
Fake News

Immanuel Church off 1st Street and 17th Ave:

Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 4:38 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Jesus is Lord, but Lord that building is ugly. A face that even Mother Mary couldn't love.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 4:40 PM

Interesting architecture on the first buddhist one. But it's giving me Scandanavian vibes. And they must own the structure beside it I assume.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 9:38 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Jesus is Lord, but Lord that building is ugly. A face that even Mother Mary couldn't love.
Lol! I like it's stark appearance and insanely huge letters on the wall. It's definitely memorable. It's a depression era building as I believe it was built in the 30's.

I think this thread could use some less traditionally beautiful churches. There are some amazing brutalist churches out there.

Here's are some examples from Calgary:

St. Luke's

Calgary Polish Cathedral

Last edited by O-tacular; Sep 2, 2021 at 9:55 PM.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 9:39 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
Interesting architecture on the first buddhist one. But it's giving me Scandanavian vibes. And they must own the structure beside it I assume.
I have no idea if they own it or not. Definitely has Scandinavian vibes. I think they preserved the integrity of the historic structure while updating it a bit.

Last edited by O-tacular; Sep 2, 2021 at 9:49 PM.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 10:15 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Church, Open Hall NL, (b.1913). It was being renovated at this time.

Anglican church nearby in Red Cliff:

my photos

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada