HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 30, 2021, 2:14 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Sad loss of a beautiful landmark.
Any indications of arson?

There have been a number of fires involving Catholic churches in the last week, on indigenous lands across the country, including one in Shubenacadie NS earlier today.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2021, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Any indications of arson?

There have been a number of fires involving Catholic churches in the last week, on indigenous lands across the country, including one in Shubenacadie NS earlier today.
News sources are reporting that the RCMP are treating it as suspicious. Which is not really surprising given that it's a church fire that started in the dead of night.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2021, 5:15 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Sadly, I'd expect this trend to accelerate fairly significantly (pardon the pun) at least in certain parts of the country.

Given the current news cycle.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2021, 5:20 PM

The ant-Catholic terrorism continues.

I can't say I'm surprised as the country has anglo-North America has had a strong anti-Catholic culture since the 1600s.

Disgusting that no federal leader condemns the terrorism. It is quite literally a hate crime.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2021, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
The ant-Catholic terrorism continues.

I can't say I'm surprised as the country has anglo-North America has had a strong anti-Catholic culture since the 1600s.

Disgusting that no federal leader condemns the terrorism. It is quite literally a hate crime.
It has more to do with people taking advantage of the deep feelings with regard to the bodies found at sites around the country. Even day camps are being checked now. (I don't feel that FN people are involved). A recreation area about 2 kms east of me is now being checked because they found a possible grave. Its a few 100 meters from a residential school site. Metis nation is also looking at their land at the Lac St Anne shrine

Old Posted Jun 30, 2021, 5:51 PM

I wonder what the political atmosphere would be if we had had 5 mosques or synagogues burnt down in a few days. I believe this is a legitimate question to ask.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2021, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binour View Post
I wonder what the political atmosphere would be if we had had 5 mosques or synagogues burnt down in a few days. I believe this is a legitimate question to ask.
The PM would be denouncing it, as would every other political leader.

CBC would devote its front page to condemning the hate crime.

Let's be real here. The response would be very different from the feds if mosques were burning.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2021, 6:03 PM
the first stamp is free

Is anyone feeling sorry for the Catholic Church, especially now?

I feel sorry for the loss of the architecture, but absolutely nothing towards the Catholic Church.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2021, 6:04 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

Canada at least, in terms of organized religion, was basically all Catholic in the 1600s, and remained so until well into the latter part of the 1700s.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2021, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post

I feel sorry for the loss of the architecture, but absolutely nothing towards the Catholic Church.
As a Catholic, I 100% do.

Burning down our churches does nothing towards reconciliation.

A hate crime is never okay.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2021, 6:11 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

Though some may frame this as anti-Catholic hate, I think there is a broader question. Which is whether violence and vandalism are to be condoned or tolerated as means to express one's grievances, even if the cause itself is serious and legitimate.

First statues. Now churches.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2021, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
First statues. Now churches.
That's exactly what I was thinking. In a society where we've basically approved the elimination of statues and monuments based on a mob's whims, I suppose it isn't exactly a shocker that some might then feel empowered to eliminate buildings representing things they don't agree with using a jerry can and some matches. How far does it go? What happens when the non-woke start using those tactics?

It doesn't really seem like a healthy path for a society to follow...

Old Posted Jun 30, 2021, 6:20 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
As a Catholic, I 100% do.

Burning down our churches does nothing towards reconciliation.

A hate crime is never okay.
As an observer who has no religious affiliation or beliefs, not "woke" in the least - the Catholic Church got itself into the mess it finds.

It can get it's way out too - but I would suggest that if they present their public statement in the form of "this is a hate crime" - well, a lot more churches are going to burn.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2021, 6:24 PM

Quote:
As an observer who has no religious affiliation or beliefs, not "woke" in the least - the Catholic Church got itself into the mess it finds.

It can get it's way out too - but I would suggest that if they present their public statement in the form of "this is a hate crime" - well, a lot more churches are going to burn.

You are quite literally advocating for terrorism.

Residential schools were not okay.
Anti-Muslim attacks after 9/11 were not okay.
Anti- Catholic attacks today are not okay.

Hate crimes are never acceptable.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2021, 6:25 PM

Quote:

Well, it is quite clearly a hate crime. Why should they mince words about it? You might think the hate is justified in this instance, but either way... it's still a hate crime. Should mosques and synagogues that get damaged or destroyed also refrain from using those words for fear that it might lead to more of those incidents?

The question I'd ask is what in your view did the people who attended the church in the town of Morinville do to deserve their church getting torched? Did anyone have even the slightest connection to residential schools? Frankly, even if they did, what makes mob rule a better path than the justice system for dealing with such things?

Old Posted Jun 30, 2021, 6:26 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

Well, the church can react to this (and all of the scandals that we assume sparked this) as it is their property that is being destroyed, but ultimately they have no binding authority on society.

It's up to governments to exercise leadership and speak out on this stuff.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2021, 6:28 PM

Quote:
You are quite literally advocating for terrorism.

Residential schools were not okay.
Anti-Muslim attacks after 9/11 were not okay.
Anti- Catholic attacks today are not okay.

Hate crimes are never acceptable.
It is 100% bizarro to me that we find ourselves in a situation where respectable people can equivocate over houses of worship getting torched in the dark of night.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2021, 6:28 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Should mosques and synagogues that get damaged or destroyed also refrain from using those words for fear that it might lead to more of those incidents?
And people who attack mosques and synagogues will often tell you that they are simply retaliating for stuff like jihadi terrorist attacks in western countries, or Israel's mistreatment of Palestinians...

Old Posted Jun 30, 2021, 6:29 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:

The Catholic Church may have gotten itself into this mess, but the time has come for the government to take a stand and denounce this vigilante attempt to redress the wrong of residential schools.

Vandalism is never OK, but arson in particular can have unintended consequences. Wildfires could be ignited. People could die.

The government has to denounce this soon, or else other anarchists will be encouraged by what's going on and yet more churches will burn, perhaps important cathedrals or even churches belonging to other denominations.

JT? Where are you????

Old Posted Jun 30, 2021, 6:29 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
That's exactly what I was thinking. In a society where we've basically approved the elimination of statues and monuments based on a mob's whims, I suppose it isn't exactly a shocker that some might then feel empowered to eliminate buildings representing things they don't agree with using a jerry can and some matches. How far does it go? What happens when the non-woke start using those tactics?

It doesn't really seem like a healthy path for a society to follow...
And if things continue to escalate, it's just a question of time before someone... gets...

Well, you know the rest.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada