HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 1, 2020, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Can you imagine demolishing the hundreds of beautiful neighborhoods and historic homes that still exist in Central Los Angeles??? Of course, sensible corridors and downtown nodes such as Westwood, Hollywood, Wilshire Corridor, but to gut a West Adams, Country Club Park, Alvarado Terrace, Hancock Park, etc., etc. for a gawd awful aesthetic like Sao Paulo...NEVER!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch View Post
I agree....however, the city does not look welcoming to a lot of visitors since too many of its streets haven't been given this type of makeover....

Video Link

I was on ventura blvd yesterday, up towards woodland hills, & even a major street like that has a thicket of the official 'trees' of LA. Or what were once the trunks of living evergreen pines now turned into an eyesore. LA reportedly isn't that ambitious about dealing with this matter not just due to the cost but due to resistance from the union of the DWP.

we don't need things to go way above ground as much as we need things to go way below ground.

...And I agree with you. Infact, Power poles and lines are probably one of my two biggest pet peeves. The other here in L.A. would be the lack of property owners taking responsibility for the trash that accumulates in front of their properties. This is particularly obnoxious in Central L.A.. Districts such as Pico Union, West Adams, Rampart, Korea Town etc. The city needs to make property owners responsible whether they're a bank owning a vacant lot, a grocery store, commercial or residential. My neighborhood is historic and full of beautiful manor houses. Yet, just on my block it's not unusual to fill two large trash canisters per week with garbage, and this is a decent residential/commercial area that has made definite improvements over the past five years. This loose trash pickup does not include my spending a good 20 to 30 minutes calling 311 for bulky item pickup. It's ridiculous. If the property owners will not take responsibility and keep their parkways clean, then they should be ticketed in somewhat the same manner as the city tickets for parking violations. So often I find owners who live in places such as Laguna Nigel or Newport, who take no responsibility for keeping the parkways in front of their Central/Downtown commercial or residential properties clean. Usually it would be sooo easy for them to make their managers responsible as part of their management duties.

I'm okay with cleaning up my neighborhood regularly. It's the least I can do as something to give back to a city I love. Some people work the soup kitchen or 100 different giving back pursuits, and I clean my streets.

However, I realize the issue is city wide, and our politicians need to get involved. One of these days I need to start advocating something with the Mayor's office.

Last edited by delts145; Aug 1, 2020 at 4:46 PM.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2020, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
...And I agree with you. Infact, Power poles and lines are probably one of my two biggest pet peeves. The other here in L.A. would be the lack of property owners taking responsibility for the trash that accumulates in front of their properties.

I'm okay with cleaning up my neighborhood regularly. It's the least I can do as something to give back to a city I love.

However, I realize the issue is city wide, and our politicians need to get involved. One of these days I need to start advocating something with the Mayor's office.
We need more ppl like you. It's the baseline tangibles of LA, & not just doing things like spending alot of time talking about new highrise bldgs or the design of new bldgs, that need a lot more attention.

The older parts of LA are less suitable for either a big city or small town when the basic aspects of them are in bad shape.

Can you imagine power poles & lines strung all over cities like Paris or london? however, they too are seeing an uptick in trash & homeless encampments on various streets.

edit: this is the specific part of ventura blvd I drove by yesterday. this bldg with its mock roman columns stands out. its northern side can be seen from the fwy too.

yellowpages.com

Old Posted Aug 3, 2020, 2:03 AM

^^^ That building always irritates me when i'm driving on the 101. Its just BOOM right in your face.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2020, 2:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch View Post
We need more ppl like you. It's the baseline tangibles of LA, & not just doing things like spending alot of time talking about new highrise bldgs or the design of new bldgs, that need a lot more attention.

The older parts of LA are less suitable for either a big city or small town when the basic aspects of them are in bad shape.

Can you imagine power poles & lines strung all over cities like Paris or london? however, they too are seeing an uptick in trash & homeless encampments on various streets.

edit: this is the specific part of ventura blvd I drove by yesterday. this bldg with its mock roman columns stands out. its northern side can be seen from the fwy too.

yellowpages.com
There's power lines in alot of cities.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2020, 5:48 AM
Urbanite in Suburbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
There's power lines in alot of cities.
Dont bother arguing. Citywatch has basically spammed this thread for a decade about parking lots and power lines. Its the same post over and over. Almost verbatim sometimes.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2020, 10:05 AM

Frank Gehry's Grand Project from Saturday

Old Posted Aug 3, 2020, 10:23 AM

The 64 story apt tower at 8th and Figueroa streets

Old Posted Aug 3, 2020, 3:28 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Thank you, Paul!!! Grand Avenue is absolutely flying, and I'm thinking, what, two or three months before Brookfield is above ground on the 8th street side? With 8th and Figueroa starting up and the Fig & Pico hotel tower starting to peak above grade, the next 6-12 months will be very exciting downtown. Hopefully we get some additional starts (looking at you, Onni Times Square!!!).
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Aug 3, 2020, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
Thank you, Paul!!! Grand Avenue is absolutely flying, and I'm thinking, what, two or three months before Brookfield is above ground on the 8th street side? With 8th and Figueroa starting up and the Fig & Pico hotel tower starting to peak above grade, the next 6-12 months will be very exciting downtown. Hopefully we get some additional starts (looking at you, Onni Times Square!!!).
Exciting indeed! And thanks as well Paul.

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't have any additional groundbreakings at least for the next 6 months, but I'm still hopeful. Olympia is another one. It's fully entitled and they finalized the sale back in December, so at least at that time they anticipated going forward in the near future.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2020, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy View Post
Exciting indeed! And thanks as well Paul.

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't have any additional groundbreakings at least for the next 6 months, but I'm still hopeful. Olympia is another one. It's fully entitled and they finalized the sale back in December, so at least at that time they anticipated going forward in the near future.
Thanks for the photo update Pwright1!! Grand Avenue is making it's impact from Hollywood too. Was hiking the hollywood hills yesterday and could see it clearly again. My Iphone6 wont capture it... so old. haha

While downtown may not have any new groundbreakings within the next 6 months, Los Angeles as a whole may still be ripe; for instance, Hollywood has 2 20+ story buildings at Cahuenga and Sunset where demolition for construction is imminent... even with 19 year old Covishala the Pandeshala

Old Posted Aug 3, 2020, 7:28 PM

I'm so proud! #proud
Also they did concrete pour on the 6th street viaduct on LA Bureau of Engineering's instagram site, dont know how to put a photo on here.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2020, 7:28 PM
Urbanite in Suburbia

Thank you Pwright!

Bless you for rescuing the thread with the best examples of the reason we are here!

Old Posted Aug 3, 2020, 7:45 PM

Thanks guys. I noticed at the Grand they seem to be working till sunset. The Regional Connector stop behind the Broad is starting to take shape too.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 1:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
Was Onni Times Square supposed to break ground this year????

God i hope so.

With sooo much going on in 2020 and my head spinning, can somebody, whose willing, able and has the time on their hands, make a list of all the projects and when they are supposed to break ground ? That would be lovely. I'm totally focused on 925 S. Figueroa St., even if a bulldozer arrives on site and sits there, I will be happy for the rest of the year. I really want that one to happen....And Olympia of course. Not only for their size but for what they can do for downtown.... Big Developments = more developments. Thats been my logic anyway.

P.S. Should we start a go fund me for oceanwide? Its literally the biggest tease. Tops out, 85% completed. And. Nothing. I cry every time i see it.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 5:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
Was Onni Times Square supposed to break ground this year????
Onni Times Mirror Square is to break ground late 2021. Their next Downtown Los Angeles project is the 60 story at Olympic and Hill. It was supposed to open in 2022 which would mean, they would be breaking ground this year. This one I would keep my eye on. Onni likes to sneak up on us. They did with the 50 story and Level. Also their current buildings at Hope&Flower look to be filling up even in the midst of these times... so I will keep my eye out

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 6:38 AM
Paramoderator

just stopping by to say i really like above ground powerlines. they remind me of tokyo, and boy do i like tokyo.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 12:38 PM

I'm loving Gehry's work in L.A.!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post

Last edited by delts145; Aug 4, 2020 at 12:52 PM.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 2:46 PM
Space Magi

I'm usually not a big fan of Frank Gehry's work but that looks great.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
just stopping by to say i really like above ground powerlines. they remind me of tokyo, and boy do i like tokyo.
I notice my rebuttal to one of the posters above has...understandably...been deleted. It was about the way so many endless discussions about dtla not having enough tall bldgs go on & on, & on, forever. Someone said my posts about power poles & parking lots go on & on too.....but my post above was only to change the subj of LA not having enough tall bldgs, on its hillsides too, to the subj of wanting to make the city's hoods look better.

To others, however, bldgs not being taller in LA is the number #1 issue. this is 'skyscraperpage' after all. Or that bldgs in dtla, whether they're full of tenants or not, need to be taller.

As for power poles, I would have said your take on them was sarcastic, but I came across this....

Quote:

Yoshinori Mizutani

The prolonged electricity outages that are occurring in Chiba, Japan thanks to Typhoon Faxai have renewed an age-old debate: whether or not to bury Japan’s utility poles and electric wires underground.

Toppled utility poles can not only cause damage to surrounding homes but they can knock out electricity, an issue that has been front-and-center in Japan recently. In a press conference, Japan’s new land minister told reporters that he wants to escalate the issue of undergrounding all of Japan’s utility poles and electric wires.

According to that government ministry, Japan ranks far behind other major cities in the East and West when it comes to undergrounding utility poles. In Tokyo, only 8% of utility poles are underground. In Osaka that number is 6%. Compare that to the mid-double digits of cities like Jakarta and Seoul. Hong Kong, London and Paris have buried 100% of their poles.

But one unexpected obstacle has been public support. As it turns out, the citizens of Japan simply don’t mind them. In fact, some even like them. A few years ago a pro-undergrounding group created a campaign to garner support. For their main visual they took Katsushika Hokusai’s iconic ukiyo-e print “Fine Wind, Clear Morning” (also known as Red Fuji) and added utility poles and power lines to show how ugly they are.

When released, the campaign had the opposite effect. The resounding response from the public was, in essence, “that looks great” or “what’s wrong with that?”

And clearly, power lines hold a very special place in the heart of the public. To remove them would mean even more than simply altering Japan’s urban and suburban landscape.

I'm fairly sure that if a lot of ppl like power lines, than alot of ppl in LA don't mind a lack of supertalls....or the city's historically lower density, non NYC-Chicago format....which is a longtime trend in the way LA has evolved.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 6:16 PM

OMG, we learn something new all the time. Haha, I didn't realize Japan had so many above ground power lines!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations