HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 22, 2020, 5:38 PM

I think the taller tower of the grand project is great, however the weirdly slanted window design of the shorter tower just looks tacky and stupid. Should’ve just mirrored the taller tower..

Old Posted Jul 22, 2020, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch View Post
that was supposed to go up on the corner lot where the traffic signal is....I'm fairly sure that proj fell through. the land across from that lot is where this is supposed to be built....

dezeen.com

the entire world is on economic, if not actual, lockdown, so I don't expect devlprs and their funders are going to want to jump back into the water right now....so I'll just be relieved if areas like from 9th to Olympic, from the fwy to Fig are at least cleared out & used for parking for the foreseeable future. better that than rundown, if not also abandoned, bldgs.....then there are issues like the Oceanwide proj.
Last I heard the city council approved the Olympia. That was over a year ago, and it very well could have fallen through, but it seemed like one of the more likely projects.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2020, 8:17 PM

If Olympia does indeed happen, that would be the icing on the recent downtown boom cake.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2020, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorboffin View Post
Last I heard the city council approved the Olympia. That was over a year ago, and it very well could have fallen through, but it seemed like one of the more likely projects.
The latest news that I heard was in December 2019. The city approval allowed City Century to finalize the land purchase which they did.

https://www.latimes.com/business/sto...in-downtown-la

Old Posted Jul 23, 2020, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAsam View Post
If Olympia does indeed happen, that would be the icing on the recent downtown boom cake.
That would look so cool from the freeway.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2020, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMBY View Post
If this were Central or South America there'd be high rises on the tops of some of those hills. How would that change this picture, for the better or worse? Picture Mulholland Drive with a big row of high rises!

If you come into Tijuana some time, you'll see a high rise perched on top of one of those high hills, and, I suspect, views to kill for, views right down to downtown San Diego.
HORRRRRRRIIIIIIBBBBBBLLLLEEEEEEEEE

NO lol A few here and there like we have in Weho and along sunset is fine. But completely covered with high rises, i would personally hate it. The Hills of LA add to its uniqueness and with all of the "flat" and "easy" land to build on in the basin, the sprawling high rises like we see in Latin/south America and parts of Asia honestly make me cringe with the idea of that happening here.

But I like defined/centered skylines. Beef up Downtown, Century City, Long Beach, Glendale, Wilshire, culver city, Santa Monica and maybe Torrance and San Pedro but leave the rest of the basin alone. OR if anything, a sea of 7-10 story buildings like you'll see in parts of Europe.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2020, 12:16 AM

So the US Bank tower has been sold to those who i guess built and own the Freedom tower?

Old Posted Jul 24, 2020, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIMBY Slayer View Post
In addition to those 60s/70s atrocious bunker hill residential buildings north of 3rd, can we please knock down (and replace) those Soviet designed buildings above the 3rd street tunnel. Yes, yes... I know they are very successful low income senior housing, hence, I say rebuild them with something that doesn't look like it was approved by Stalin and creates better ground floor interaction with a street wall. The way they are now they kill all life between angels flight and 2nd and hill and olive.

In fact can we level everything in red (see below) like it was 1969 and re-build the street grid and start fresh with structures that create a street wall and have street interaction so the area is walkable (more marketable) without it having a ton of ramps and bridges. I get it's a hill but there are better ways to design it and make it walkable, give it great street life and less dead zones than it currently is.

This is exactly what we need!!! Would also love to see skyscrapers in the red-shaded area, ~700-900ft.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2020, 9:02 PM
El Guátqui

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
So the US Bank tower has been sold to those who i guess built and own the Freedom tower?
Yep. To a company associated with Silverstein Properties. And at a massive discount, but perhaps still nominally profitable for OUE. Depends on how much they invested in the tower's renovations.

Quote:
Singapore-based OUE Limited announced it will sell the U.S. Bank Tower in Downtown Los Angeles for $430 million, a 31 percent discount from the building’s $650 million valuation as recorded in the firm’s 2019 year-end report. The buyer is USBT Property Owner LP, which is tied to New York City-based Silverstein Properties, filing records show. The deal is set to close in September.

The price was reached “after taking into account, among other things, the market value of the property and the current U.S. property market conditions in the relevant sectors amid the COVID-19 pandemic,” according to a filing released by OUE Limited today.

“Due to the measures implemented by state governments in the U.S. in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, the tenants in the property have reduced, or temporarily closed down, their operations, and the rental income from the property has been correspondingly affected.”

OUE Limited acquired the U.S. Bank Tower at 633 West Fifth Street, between Fourth and Fifth Streets, for $367.5 million in June 2013, according to property records.
https://commercialobserver.com/2020/...s-office-sale/

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 6:37 PM

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 6:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch View Post
Personally, I think that would be bad from both a layout & economic standpoint....more bldgs in the hills would mean less need for & investment in bldgs in dtla.

in photos of dtla...& areas to the west like century city...with all the shots of sfh tract houses making up most of the areas in between...I've wondered why LA's economy has not supported as much highrise devlpt as seen in cities of Brazil rarely heard about. These are the 3rd & 4th largest cities of brazi, one is known as Belo horizonte, the other is recife. Who's even aware they exist?

the third city is built high in the mountains of bolivia....la paz...

talking about the skyline of dtla without considering how things like the oceanwide proj end up stalled or cancelled...or never gotten off the drawing board to begin with....through the decades seems an exercise in futility. everything is dependent on this....

diariodocomercio.com.br

aboutbrasil.com

wikimedia
Isn't this what the whole L.A should have looked like albeit more modern and sleeker towers by today? The current L.A is very similar to late 70's to early 80's which shows you that not much has changed in the L.A urban high rise landscape.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 7:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
We don't do that because it's incredibly tacky. This isn't Brazil.
They should do that if they want to be a real urban city. This is exactly what L.A should be doing if it wants to get respect as a world international city. However, the architectures must be more modern with glass and granite clad high rises throughout the city and on its central hills. How about building tons of high rises apartments in South Central area and areas between Wilshire and Sunset to fill in the gaps of its urban density? L.A boasters must ask themselves: do they want L.A to be a city or a suburb?

Old Posted Aug 1, 2020, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt patch View Post
They should do that if they want to be a real urban city. This is exactly what L.A should be doing if it wants to get respect as a world international city. However, the architectures must be more modern with glass and granite clad high rises throughout the city and on its central hills. How about building tons of high rises apartments in South Central area and areas between Wilshire and Sunset to fill in the gaps of its urban density? L.A boasters must ask themselves: do they want L.A to be a city or a suburb?

A “real urban city” lol... I personally don’t think LA would look great with a bunch of high rises littered all over the basin. I think they belong in Downtown, Wilshire Blvd, and Century City. The high rise that was built at Jefferson & La Cienega feels very out of place. Not really a fan!

Old Posted Aug 1, 2020, 1:39 AM

I think that area is gonna add some more highrises. It's far better than industrial space. I hope all that stuff is redeveloped. Get that out of the city areas.
Any time some tire/ugly industrial building bites the dust for a larger building, it's great for the city.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2020, 2:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunsberger View Post
A “real urban city” lol... I personally don’t think LA would look great with a bunch of high rises littered all over the basin. I think they belong in Downtown, Wilshire Blvd, and Century City. The high rise that was built at Jefferson & La Cienega feels very out of place. Not really a fan!
I think a little wider swath than that. Say Hollywood to the north, LA River to the east, 10 freeway to the south and Century City to the west. Maybe a few hundred 500+ footers would be nice.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2020, 2:15 AM

Quote:

wikimedia

Isn't this what the whole L.A should have looked like albeit more modern and sleeker towers by today? The current L.A is very similar to late 70's to early 80's which shows you that not much has changed in the L.A urban high rise landscape.
And Los Angeles needs to look like this because why now? Is this supposed to be a good thing?

???

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Aug 1, 2020, 4:23 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
They should do that if they want to be a real urban city. This is exactly what L.A should be doing if it wants to get respect as a world international city.

All I will say is...........It's 2020, we already have enough to deal with. Lets not make ill-informed and ignorant statements. I come here to get away from shock value statements, lies and claims based on NO facts.

If LA upsets you, you're going to really be upset with the rest of the world outside of China and Brazil.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2020, 2:19 PM

Can you imagine demolishing the hundreds of beautiful neighborhoods and historic homes that still exist in Central Los Angeles??? Of course, sensible corridors and downtown nodes such as Westwood, Hollywood, Wilshire Corridor, but to gut a West Adams, Country Club Park, Alvarado Terrace, Hancock Park, etc., etc. for a gawd awful aesthetic like Sao Paulo...NEVER!!

Old Posted Aug 1, 2020, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Can you imagine demolishing the hundreds of beautiful neighborhoods and historic homes that still exist in Central Los Angeles??? Of course, sensible corridors and downtown nodes such as Westwood, Hollywood, Wilshire Corridor, but to gut a West Adams, Country Club Park, Alvarado Terrace, Hancock Park, etc., etc. for a gawd awful aesthetic like Sao Paulo...NEVER!!

I agree....however, the city does not look welcoming to a lot of visitors since too many of its streets haven't been given this type of makeover....

Video Link

I was on ventura blvd yesterday, up towards woodland hills, & even a major street like that has a thicket of the official 'trees' of LA. Or what were once the trunks of living evergreen pines now turned into an eyesore. LA reportedly isn't that ambitious about dealing with this matter not just due to the cost but due to resistance from the union of the DWP.

we don't need things to go way above ground as much as we need things to go way below ground.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2020, 3:15 PM

Quote:
L.A boasters must ask themselves: do they want L.A to be a city or a suburb?

right now, LA & most cities throughout the world have way bigger things to worry about. If LA being urban or suburban were the big issue facing it, the ppl of LA should be so lucky.

https://la.eater.com/2020/7/30/21348...ing-restaurant

Quote:
LA’s Iconic Patina Restaurant Has Closed After 31 Years of Fine Dining Service

Former employees of Patina in Downtown LA’s famed Walt Disney Concert Hall have received letters stating their jobs will be terminated by August 15, 2020, meaning one of LA’s most storied fine dining restaurants has likely closed permanently. Patina’s listing has also been scrubbed from Patina Restaurant Group’s website. The letter to employees said Patina Restaurant Group’s contract with LA Music Center, the organization that operates many of Downtown’s storied performance venues, has not been renewed, meaning Patina’s sister restaurants Kendall’s Brasserie, The Boardroom, Cocina Roja, and Upstage Burger are also unlikely to reopen.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations