HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 18, 2020, 5:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMBY View Post
If this were Central or South America there'd be high rises on the tops of some of those hills. How would that change this picture, for the better or worse? Picture Mulholland Drive with a big row of high rises!

If you come into Tijuana some time, you'll see a high rise perched on top of one of those high hills, and, I suspect, views to kill for, views right down to downtown San Diego.
I have thought of something similar before but atop the Verdugo Mountains (between La Cresenta & Burbank)

Imagine one street that goes the entire length of the ridge with futuristic skyscrapers flanking each side. It would be EPIC!

Old Posted Jul 18, 2020, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blesha13 View Post
I’m few of those who would kill to see high rises atop of our LA hills West Hollywood comes close to that.
Personally, I think that would be bad from both a layout & economic standpoint....more bldgs in the hills would mean less need for & investment in bldgs in dtla.

in photos of dtla...& areas to the west like century city...with all the shots of sfh tract houses making up most of the areas in between...I've wondered why LA's economy has not supported as much highrise devlpt as seen in cities of Brazil rarely heard about. These are the 3rd & 4th largest cities of brazi, one is known as Belo horizonte, the other is recife. Who's even aware they exist?

the third city is built high in the mountains of bolivia....la paz...

talking about the skyline of dtla without considering how things like the oceanwide proj end up stalled or cancelled...or never gotten off the drawing board to begin with....through the decades seems an exercise in futility. everything is dependent on this....

diariodocomercio.com.br

aboutbrasil.com

wikimedia

Old Posted Jul 18, 2020, 6:20 PM

In Tegucigalpa, Honduras, the rich live in the high rises on the hills overlooking the city. Having been there I don't believe there's one luxury condo building in the downtown area. So, yes, allow highrises on the L.A. hills with killer views of the city and ocean, why live in DTLA!!

Even if you lived on the first floor of a Mullholland High rise, you'd get views to savor all day long, let alone have a unit on the 20th floor.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2020, 6:28 PM

We don't do that because it's incredibly tacky. This isn't Brazil.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2020, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
We don't do that because it's incredibly tacky. This isn't Brazil.
Agreed!!!

Old Posted Jul 18, 2020, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMBY View Post
So, yes, allow highrises on the L.A. hills with killer views of the city and ocean, why live in DTLA!!
I'm assuming you're being sarcastic...or I hope you are.

this is the city you mentioned in honduras.....

Pinterest, Maria Jose Gomez

btw, there are streets in mexico city that look nicer & more fitting of a big time metropolis than certain major streets in LA are....Mexico city, of course, is the capital of its country, so you expect more effort put into it than if it were one of the side cities of Mexico. the surrounding slums of that city are still very bad.

still, when LA in some ways doesn't compare as well as it should to other towns like MC, that does show more work needs to be done.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2020, 8:32 AM

One hill area where high rises would make sense is the parking lot of Dodger Stadium. Nice views of the city up there, very much like the view of Athens from the Acropolis hill. The parking could be replaced with a few parking structures above ground or below ground. It would bring year around activity to an area that is vacant outside of baseball season. They could call it Chavez Ravine Dodger City. If you are a Dodger fan with season tickets living there, you'd be within walking distance of the holy temple. They could string an aerial tram to Chinatown & Union Station & even DTLA where you could connect to the Metrorail/Metrolink systems. Room for 10,000 housing units up there in high rises. One of the charms of the old time baseball parks like Wrigley & Fenway and some of the newer/retro style ones like Petco in S.D. and ATT in S.F. is that people live nearby.

Last edited by CaliNative; Jul 20, 2020 at 8:55 AM.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2020, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
That list seems to be missing quite a few U/C like Fig 7th, Fig + Pico and Century Plaza towers, all of which are 5-700 feet high. It's a good thing too because that list would be extremely tragic if not.

It's also missing Angel's Landing and the other two new tallest proposed.
Those were just the buildings that I am not sure the status of. I have basically everything else.

Speaking of which, the Little Tokyo Galleria redevelopment has to be dead at this point, right? I haven't heard anything about it since March 2017, and the permits expired for it last year. It isn't on the architecture firm's page anymore, and even if it was none of their other projects have come to fruition, which seems like a sign...

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 8:48 AM

I think LA should follow Tokyo’s model, not everything needs to be skyscrapers, but they’ve made an extensive freeway and transit system work in a densely populated city. With the size of California’s population crammed into one city, still being affordable, efficient, and clean.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 2:14 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Speaking of Japan, it's been reported on Facebook from a very reliable source that 8th & Figueroa has started removal of asphalt on the surface lot. Anyone have any pictures they can post? If true, this would be real progress on Mitsui-Fudosan's first major high rise downtown.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
Speaking of Japan, it's been reported on Facebook from a very reliable source that 8th & Figueroa has started removal of asphalt on the surface lot. Anyone have any pictures they can post? If true, this would be real progress on Mitsui-Fudosan's first major high rise downtown.
Great transition to get back in topic!

I didn’t take a photo, but I walked by on Saturday and they’ve loosened and/or removed about 2/3 of the asphalt and concrete on the lot.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
8th & Figueroa has started removal of asphalt on the surface lot.
apparently this is going to finally occur too....

Quote:
911 S GEORGIA ST 90015

Application/Permit #19019-10000-03375 B19LA14072
Bldg-Demolition

Verifications in Progress 7/14/2020

DEMO OF EXISTING 2 STORY MEDICAL OFFICE BUILDING USING HANDWRECK METHOD. SEWER CAP AND PEDESTRIAN FENCE REQUIRED. CLEAR LOT
19019-10000-03148 B19LA13043 Bldg-Demolition Application

Application/Permit #20042-10000-09440
Plumbing Permit Finaled 6/2/2020 SEWER CAP. DEMO#19019-10000-03375.

the area from 9th to Olympic, between the fwy to Fig St has been one of the major embarrassments of dtla for decades. From the 9th St offramp towards fig is a street that isn't ready for prime time. at least tearing down most of what's there & turning the lots into parking cars is better than nothing.

this is where part of the olypmic proj would go, but I suspect the owners are merely prepping the land for parking lots...no more than that....for the indefinite future. 911 s georgia is the bldg way to the right in this photo.

urbanizela.com

^ that view of a major part of dt is totally unacceptable.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 3:14 PM

What is going there? Cambria hotel?

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
What is going there? Cambria hotel?
that was supposed to go up on the corner lot where the traffic signal is....I'm fairly sure that proj fell through. the land across from that lot is where this is supposed to be built....

dezeen.com

the entire world is on economic, if not actual, lockdown, so I don't expect devlprs and their funders are going to want to jump back into the water right now....so I'll just be relieved if areas like from 9th to Olympic, from the fwy to Fig are at least cleared out & used for parking for the foreseeable future. better that than rundown, if not also abandoned, bldgs.....then there are issues like the Oceanwide proj.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 7:03 PM

I was just looking at these rendering and the ground floor and my interest got piqued again. I don't think we are ready for the transformation that the Grand Avenue Project is about to bring to the north side of downtown. Related Group is a BEAST!! Columbus Circle, Hudson Yards are both major catalysts in creating highly sought after districts in New York resulting in 57th street becoming the most sought after residential address in the city and the west side becoming the nation's hottest, newest office district.

Yall... we are getting a Gehry designed project across from the Concert Hall with what could possibly be some of the city's best selection of haute restaurants and shops. Related's Columbus Circle is very similar to what they are building here in location and relevance. It's location is near the Lincoln Center and Juilliard school with easy access to the most prominent city park. Grand Ave is next to the Music Center (which is based off of the Lincoln Center) and Colburn school and accessible to Grand Park (although no where near as important as Central Park. We are getting the 2nd Equinox Hotel in the newly established brand and a new, higher end Equinox Gym than the one that is already downtown. Related Group knows how to program their projects to be generators of wealth and status in the surrounding areas, and they will definitely be putting their weight behind this project as it is the debut of the 2nd Hotel and flagship for the West Coast. In case you didnt know, Related also owns Equinox gyms and want their Hotel concept to be a major player.

I expect nothing less from Related and we may be looking at this area and the entire north side of downtown becoming the most sought after, high end high rise living in Los Angeles. We will probably witness within the next 5-10 years, projects that will knock down all the smaller residential builidngs above 3rd street from Fig to Broadway. Bunker Hill towers, Promenade towers, The Park DTLA... all are sitting on property that will most likely be worth more than the buildings currently on them

If you've ever been to Columbus Circle or Hudson Yards, you will know that this project will be well worth the 14 year pause and 20 year wait... especially if you can afford all this high end

https://urbanize.la/post/1-billion-f...-progress-dtla

Last edited by hughfb3; Jul 21, 2020 at 7:25 PM.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughfb3 View Post
I was just looking at these rendering and the ground floor and my interest got piqued again. I don't think we are ready for the transformation that the Grand Avenue Project is about to bring to the north side of downtown. Related Group is a BEAST!! Columbus Circle, Hudson Yards are both major catalysts in creating highly sought after districts in New York resulting in 57th street becoming the most sought after residential address in the city and the west side becoming the nation's hottest, newest office district.

Yall... we are getting a Gehry designed project across from the Concert Hall with what could possibly be some of the city's best selection of haute restaurants and shops. Related's Columbus Circle is very similar to what they are building here in location and relevance. It's location is near the Lincoln Center and Juilliard school with easy access to the most prominent city park. Grand Ave is next to the Music Center (which is based off of the Lincoln Center) and Colburn school and accessible to Grand Park (although no where near as important as Central Park. We are getting the 2nd Equinox Hotel in the newly established brand and a new, higher end Equinox Gym than the one that is already downtown. Related Group knows how to program their projects to be generators of wealth and status in the surrounding areas, and they will definitely be putting their weight behind this project as it is the debut of the 2nd Hotel and flagship for the West Coast. In case you didnt know, Related also owns Equinox gyms and want their Hotel concept to be a major player.

I expect nothing less from Related and we may be looking at this area and the entire north side of downtown becoming the most sought after, high end high rise living in Los Angeles. We will probably witness within the next 5-10 years, projects that will knock down all the smaller residential builidngs above 3rd street from Fig to Broadway. Bunker Hill towers, Promenade towers, The Park DTLA... all are sitting on property that will most likely be worth more than the buildings currently on them

If you've ever been to Columbus Circle or Hudson Yards, you will know that this project will be well worth the 14 year pause and 20 year wait... especially if you can afford all this high end

https://urbanize.la/post/1-billion-f...-progress-dtla
Yea, I'm excited. That part of downtown really needs a shot in the arm. Although the Broad and the other museums are popular, especially on the weekends.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch View Post
that was supposed to go up on the corner lot where the traffic signal is....I'm fairly sure that proj fell through. the land across from that lot is where this is supposed to be built....

dezeen.com

the entire world is on economic, if not actual, lockdown, so I don't expect devlprs and their funders are going to want to jump back into the water right now....so I'll just be relieved if areas like from 9th to Olympic, from the fwy to Fig are at least cleared out & used for parking for the foreseeable future. better that than rundown, if not also abandoned, bldgs.....then there are issues like the Oceanwide proj.
Wow, I forgot all about this project lol.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughfb3 View Post

In addition to those 60s/70s atrocious bunker hill residential buildings north of 3rd, can we please knock down (and replace) those Soviet designed buildings above the 3rd street tunnel. Yes, yes... I know they are very successful low income senior housing, hence, I say rebuild them with something that doesn't look like it was approved by Stalin and creates better ground floor interaction with a street wall. The way they are now they kill all life between angels flight and 2nd and hill and olive.

In fact can we level everything in red (see below) like it was 1969 and re-build the street grid and start fresh with structures that create a street wall and have street interaction so the area is walkable (more marketable) without it having a ton of ramps and bridges. I get it's a hill but there are better ways to design it and make it walkable, give it great street life and less dead zones than it currently is.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2020, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIMBY Slayer View Post
In addition to those 60s/70s atrocious bunker hill residential buildings north of 3rd, can we please knock down (and replace) those Soviet designed buildings above the 3rd street tunnel. Yes, yes... I know they are very successful low income senior housing, hence, I say rebuild them with something that doesn't look like it was approved by Stalin and creates better ground floor interaction with a street wall. The way they are now they kill all life between angels flight and 2nd and hill and olive.

In fact can we level everything in red (see below) like it was 1969 and re-build the street grid and start fresh with structures that create a street wall and have street interaction so the area is walkable (more marketable) without it having a ton of ramps and bridges. I get it's a hill but there are better ways to design it and make it walkable, give it great street life and less dead zones than it currently is.

So so sooooo agreed!

Old Posted Jul 22, 2020, 2:57 PM

Pile drivers arrived at Fig and 8th site

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...&theater&ifg=1

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations