HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 11, 2020, 5:20 PM
Community Guy

A very significant one.

I cannot walk up to this and order, it is a production kitchen and drive-thru for Uber Eats and Skip.

These are complete BS to have permitted in our urban cores.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Sep 11, 2020, 5:25 PM
I am the law!

Those tend to have a motor with large, bright advertisements and large windows for point of sale.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2020, 5:29 PM
Community Guy

Nope, food delivery only.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2020, 5:36 PM
I am the law!

That's what I learned today. I had no idea about ghost kitchens. It's a sad thing to see. Multi-national companies backed by large capital slowly taking over food truck industry, etc. from small business. This example is set up for home delivery but they have food truck (with point of sale) communities built too.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2020, 5:39 PM
Community Guy

We have three of them Downtown.

Reef Parking out of Miami bought Impark to get access to their lots to place their Reef 'kitchens' on.

Expect to see a ton more of these.

A race to the bottom and even more small-scale rest/cafes going out of business because of them.

blah

Old Posted Sep 11, 2020, 5:53 PM
sick transit, gloria

I've heard of ghost kitchens, but these are very strange!

The concept can range from pretty innocuous where established restaurants use their kitchen for a separate delivery-only range (and priced accordingly) to blatant undercutting which is what this seems to be. Also let's be real - food trucks were intended for areas that lack other convenient local options and there are definitely sacrifices inherent to the model. This can be ameliorated by the style / location / being served on the spot but I wouldn't want delivery knowing it was made in a trailer!

Interestingly there is a sort of ghost kitchen in Etobicoke but it's occupied by several well established local brands and seems to be geared towards catering more than delivery - more of a communal space for places that can't afford their own industrial kitchen. I have no issue with that.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2020, 5:55 PM
I am the law!

Food trucks are a niche market. Home delivery was niche outside of the fast food. These are huge garbage producers. This will only compound things.

The standard is a black plastic container and black plastic is completely unrecyclable (if we actually recycled residential plastics.)

Old Posted Sep 11, 2020, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
A very significant one.

I cannot walk up to this and order, it is a production kitchen and drive-thru for Uber Eats and Skip.

These are complete BS to have permitted in our urban cores.
I'm sick and tired of these delivery apps. They have way to much control over the industry and too little regulation.

How is it fair that I wait in line for my shawarma or pizza and have the food delivery app person cut-in line? How is it fair that local restaurants lose money on these apps? And now this?

Old Posted Sep 11, 2020, 6:14 PM
Community Guy

I am all for innovation in industry, but you know have places setting up wherever, with little overhead, almost no staff, paying barely any taxes and undercutting local entrepreneurs in the area.

Bravo.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2020, 6:53 PM
I am the law!

Yeah, have to wonder when the ousted CEO and founder of Uber caught swearing at one of his drivers is one of the leaders in ghost kitchens. Something tells me employees and facilities are secondary to market cap.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2020, 10:18 PM
Beer me Captain

Does this mean REI might consider moving into Canada?

MEC to be acquired by Kingswood Capital Management through CCAA Proceeding

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 12:17 AM
Community Guy

Sounds as though it was needed to keep afloat.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 1:07 AM

GUCCI to Open Large Storefront at West Edmonton Mall
September 17, 2020

By Craig Patterson

Italian luxury brand Gucci will open at West Edmonton Mall early next year, marking a significant milestone in the shopping centre’s efforts to secure upscale tenants. It will be the third standalone storefront for Gucci in Canada as well as the only standalone location for the brand in Alberta.

The Gucci store will span more than 5,000 square feet on one level and will carry the brand’s full lines of ready-to-wear clothing for women and men as well as handbags, leather goods, footwear, accessories, and jewellery. The design of the store will reflect Gucci’s latest store design which is plush and opulent. That will include an interior featuring wood and velvet accents as well as ample use of marble flooring. Construction begins mid-October and the store is expected to open in March of 2021. Toronto-based dkstudio Architects Inc. designed the West Edmonton Mall space.

The new Gucci store will be located on West Edmonton Mall’s second level between a Louis Vuitton store which opened last year, and a Saint Laurent store that will be finished construction in November. The three powerhouse brands are part of a luxury clustering that also includes nearby storefronts for Tiffany & Co., Rolex, Canada Goose, and other pricey brands.

https://www.retail-insider.com/retai...-edmonton-mall

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 3:14 AM

Second largest Costco in Canada... for now.

The Ottawa area has 5 Costcos: one in Gatineau at Les Promenades Shopping Centre, one in the west end (Kanata), two in the south end (Hunt Club and Barrhaven) and one in the east end (this new one in Beacon Hill, near the 174 and Blair station). The former east end Costco will be replaced by a Costco Business Centre, but I'm not entirely sure what that is.

Quote:
Big move: Costco opens second-largest Canadian location at Shoppers City East

OBJ, August 27, 2020

Costco opened its new Gloucester location at Shoppers City East on Thursday. Photo courtesy Costco Canada

Four years after announcing it planned to move its east Ottawa location to Shoppers City East, Costco has officially made good on its pledge in a big way.

The retail warehouse giant cut the ribbon on a new 161,000-square-foot store at 1405 Blair Towers Pl. on Thursday morning. The new location is more than 30 per cent larger than the former Costco store on Cyrville Road and the chain’s second-largest outlet in Canada after a 182,000-square-foot store in St. John’s.

The company said the new store features wider aisles and a larger selection of food offerings than the Cyrville Road location, including an on-site bakery and expanded produce section. The store also has an optometrist on site as well as a hearing aid centre and an expanded pharmacy, among other amenities.

“The upgraded Costco has created valuable employment opportunities for the region, and will strengthen the local economy by offering a wider selection of goods and services to our residents and visitors,” Ottawa Mayor Jim Watson said in a statement that highlighted the new location will create an additional 50 full- and part-time jobs.

Costco’s former east-end store at the corner of Cyrville and Innes roads had long been the subject of complaints about a lack of parking. The new location has 760 spots for customers plus 150 more off-site for Costco employees, up from a total of 740 spaces at the old store, which will be converted into a Costco Business Centre.

Costco Canada, which is headquartered on Hunt Club Road, operates 100 stores in nine provinces and employs more than 40,000 people. In the 2019 fiscal year, the chain’s Canadian operations generated more than US$21 billion in revenues.
https://obj.ca/article/local/retail/...pers-city-east

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 3:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Second largest Costco in Canada... for now.

The Ottawa area has 5 Costcos: one in Gatineau at Les Promenades Shopping Centre, one in the west end (Kanata), two in the south end (Hunt Club and Barrhaven) and one in the east end (this new one in Beacon Hill, near the 174 and Blair station). The former east end Costco will be replaced by a Costco Business Centre, but I'm not entirely sure what that is.

...]
A Costco Business Centre is a Costco for small businesses, no?

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 3:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
A Costco Business Centre is a Costco for small businesses, no?
That's what I figure, but what do they sell? Office equipment? Tools? Equipment for restaurants? Do you need a Business membership to go in?

I Googled it a few times, but it doesn't see straight-forward.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 6:06 AM

Isn't it a little more like Cotsco used to be like in the 90s where a lot of the merchandise and food etc sold were geared towards people who could resell the items in their corner stores etc? Kind of like the real Canaduian Wholesale Club. Regular Costco has just become a place where people with big families can buy in bulk not really stuff that can be easily resold.

Any Costco member can shop there.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 6:55 AM

this would be sad to see it go.

Bath bomb giant Lush seeks court permission to dissolve Canadian arm

https://www.burnabynow.com/news/bath...xPdpfU_CuXiNrM

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
That's what I figure, but what do they sell? Office equipment? Tools? Equipment for restaurants? Do you need a Business membership to go in?

I Googled it a few times, but it doesn't see straight-forward.
I think it's bulk items for places like convenience stores and restaurants, but I'm not sure. Nor do I know whether Costco members can use them or if they require some kind of business membership.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 1:09 PM
I'm the bear on the right

Surprised that the new Costco on the Tsuu'tina FN is only 151 000 sq. ft. It seems much larger than the other Calgary area Costcos.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...gary-1.5703536

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada