HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Waller Center Tower B in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Austin Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jan 25, 2023, 3:50 AM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 2:35 AM
クラブトクヨ

Oh those are nice skyline pics! Look forward to seeing waterline rise in that skyline!

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 9:10 PM

All that ultra low density, suburban style development across the river from the increasingly impressive skyline is just odd to me.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 9:16 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
All that ultra low density, suburban style development across the river from the increasingly impressive skyline is just odd to me.
It wouldn't be if you had seen the skyline 20 years ago, then 10 years ago... In most cases, there is an overlay (ordinance) restricting height south of the river. Those are slowly coming down/being changed.

In fact, the parcel of land just to the right of center (where the large single white structure is - The old Austin American-Stateman plant) has recently been up zoned to allow buildings of up to 525'. Actually, if I remember correctly, I think it was actually increased to 725' on the southwest corner of that site.

I also believe, in that general vicinity, there are at least 6 towers in excess of 300' in the planning stages.

Last edited by ILUVSAT; Feb 9, 2023 at 10:58 PM.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 3:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
I like the contrast. Shanghai has a somewhat similar skyline imbalance on the two sides of its river, and it looks great. BTW just a few years ago no one would have thought to compare Austin with Shanghai. This shows how far Austin has come in such a short time. Shanghai will probably never build another megatall, so the gap between these two cities will only shrink over time.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2023, 4:34 AM
Curlee Capital

Waterline today

Video Link

Old Posted Feb 14, 2023, 3:08 AM
クラブトクヨ

Nice video update! Thanks for sharing!

Old Posted Feb 14, 2023, 1:37 PM
JACKinBeantown

^^ (like button)

Old Posted Feb 18, 2023, 1:56 AM

Old Posted Feb 18, 2023, 2:11 AM
DENNAB

And she starts, Austin's first (of hopefully many) supertall.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2023, 3:21 AM
クラブトクヨ

I don’t think people outside of Austin quite understand. We are a city with not quite a million residents in the city limits. Building a super tall. Pretty wild!

Old Posted Feb 18, 2023, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubtokyo View Post
I don’t think people outside of Austin quite understand. We are a city with not quite a million residents in the city limits. Building a super tall. Pretty wild!
Yeah but there are only 9 cities in the nation with a population greater than 1,000,000. Austin has a lot larger population inside the city limits than Atlanta, Boston, Detroit, and Minneapolis. Even though it used to be much smaller in our lifetimes does t mean it is t one of the bigger cities today.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2023, 6:01 PM
Member since 2001

The 2022 estimates are not quite out yet...but, after 25+ years studying the subject - as of July 1, 2022, Austin had right at 1 million within the city limits and just over 2.4 million in the metro.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2023, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller View Post
Yeah but there are only 9 cities in the nation with a population greater than 1,000,000. Austin has a lot larger population inside the city limits than Atlanta, Boston, Detroit, and Minneapolis. Even though it used to be much smaller in our lifetimes does t mean it is t one of the bigger cities today.
Austin is the 28th largest metro in the US. City limits have nothing to do with anything.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2023, 10:24 PM
Meh

People were talking about the city's population using the actual city proper population. So that's where the contention came from since using the city proper population tends to be inaccurate when you consider that city boundary lines can vary greatly from city to city. Metro populations are a better measure of a city's clout. Still, Austin isn't well known for annexing as much as other Texas cities do, and while the city boundary lines are considerably large, there has been a lot of development infill within those boundary lines, and that's largely where the population growth has come from instead of "annexation growth" that some other cities can point to as population growth. An eyeopening phenomena are cities with a lot of population growth but little to show for it with actual development (of real estate) growth being scant in their case. It's why I pay attention to cities that start to see development that haven't seen much in the recent past. It can mean that their population growth has reached a point to make it legitimate to start developing (vertically).

Old Posted Feb 19, 2023, 12:05 AM

I am glad we have slowed the sprawl and started building density. How ever I have been recently schooled into the massive size Austin's boundaries are. Sure we are not as spread out as Houston or San Antonio, we are still huge when you compare Austin to other cities with even larger populations.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2023, 3:04 AM
クラブトクヨ

Yeah I guess the point I was trying to make is that Austin is doing a lot of vertical development downtown, In comparison to other
Metros its size. Either way I’m glad we are all excited about density. If I remember right OKC is the most sprawling city limits in America? Or is that Houston?

Old Posted Feb 19, 2023, 3:35 AM
Meh

Jacksonville, Florida. It's always number 1 on every list, after all. It's 954,614 people in the city, which sounds impressive until you realize it's 875 square miles or 72 percent of Rhode Island's area, but with more than 140,000 fewer people.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2023, 4:26 PM
クラブトクヨ

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Jacksonville, Florida. It's always number 1 on every list, after all. It's 954,614 people in the city, which sounds impressive until you realize it's 875 square miles or 72 percent of Rhode Island's area, but with more than 140,000 fewer people.
Whoa! That’s insane.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2023, 6:47 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubtokyo View Post
Yeah I guess the point I was trying to make is that Austin is doing a lot of vertical development downtown, In comparison to other
Metros its size. Either way I’m glad we are all excited about density. If I remember right OKC is the most sprawling city limits in America? Or is that Houston?
Sitka, Alaska. 4,815 square miles. 1.75 people per square mile.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...cities_by_area

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction