HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 6:52 PM
Show me the blueprints

What if they doubled the height of the LIRR storage yard and built a lead ramp and built terminal station platforms for LIRR so capacity could be freed up in Penn? Some LIRR (and M-N once ESA is done) could terminate at a new Hudson Yards terminal after slipping around Penn to the south on a new bypass track. Just a thought. I wonder if MTA has even thought of this? If logistics require maybe the current at grade yard could be converted to platforms and the storage yard above.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 7:12 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
What if they doubled the height of the LIRR storage yard and built a lead ramp and built terminal station platforms for LIRR so capacity could be freed up in Penn?
That would be removing the thousands of people who use Penn Station away from where they need to be - close to subway connections, or just general access to the rest of Midtown. The Hudson Yards has it's own thing going, but it in no way compares to the rest of the city.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 8:21 PM
Show me the blueprints

Perhaps it was a tremendous oversight to not essentially create a concourse running from Penn all the way 11th ave.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 1:37 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Perhaps it was a tremendous oversight to not essentially create a concourse running from Penn all the way 11th ave.
You mean from Penn Station? No different than not having a concourse running from Penn Station to the rest of Manhattan. The best thing they can and will do (if 15 Penn is ever built) is to reopen that walkway between Penn and Herald Square. That way, both the PATH and additional subway lines will be connected to Penn Station.

There was however planning for pedestrian movement and circulation through the Hudson Yards area. It's where Moynihan and Manhattan West come in...

Captured nicely through this Manhattan West animation...

Video Link

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 9:41 AM

If the High Line will have 700' of wall on its eastern side, couldn't they cantilever the structure above and alongside where the platform meets the High Line and incorporate retail beneath, all along the High Line itself? I wonder if that would make financial as well as structural sense.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 1:31 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visionist View Post
If the High Line will have 700' of wall on its eastern side, couldn't they cantilever the structure above and alongside where the platform meets the High Line and incorporate retail beneath, all along the High Line itself? I wonder if that would make financial as well as structural sense.
The wall was to be along the south and western edges. What they really need to do, and never talk about, is build a connection from the High Line to Hudson River Park.

https://gothamist.com/news/hudson-ya...adow-high-line

Hudson Yards Developer Denies Planning A Wall That Would Overshadow The High Line

BY ELIZABETH KIM
JAN. 15, 2020

Quote:
Responding to mounting outrage that followed a recent report in the NY Times, the developer of Hudson Yards has denied they are pursuing plans to build a wall along the High Line -- even as one Chelsea community board member says "preliminary drawings" were shown to him as well as several representatives from City Council Speaker Corey Johnson's office.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 3:14 AM
DENNAB

Isn't this part of the phase supposed to contain 17 million square feet?

It doesn't really look it from the renderings, and I'm surprised they're so short if they each average over 2MSF.

I feel like they should go for a signature tower here but it seems that's not in the plans unfortunately. I hope the designs are interesting though to balance out the other boxy buildings.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 5:56 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Isn't this part of the phase supposed to contain 17 million square feet?

It doesn't really look it from the renderings, and I'm surprised they're so short if they each average over 2MSF.

I feel like they should go for a signature tower here but it seems that's not in the plans unfortunately. I hope the designs are interesting though to balance out the other boxy buildings.

What renderings are you talking about?

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 8:02 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

well that doesn't look like a wall. maybe they are backpedaling, but whatever.

kind of surprized at the waste of space between the railyard property and the highline in that render.

looks like a gap there between them.

i had thought they were supposed to abut each other with open access points?

so even though views are kept, the western yard community is still walled off from the public in a sense.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 8:07 PM
Show me the blueprints

This wall hysteria is just comical. Even if the storage yard cap did lead to the necessity for a likely very handsome wall next to the High Line it likely would have terraced and stepped down to meet it with grand staircases and interesting bridges. I'm likely to think that had there not been such a ridiculous pushback to the very notion the end product probably would have been a lot more architecturally intriguing that what will wind up being built.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 10:12 PM
New Yorker for life

The issue with the High Line and the railyards is that the High Line is well above the railyards, but the western edge of the railyards is at street level. So like it or not, that “wall” covering the rails was always going to be there, and is still going to be there. The difference is a matter of perception. You can see in that last rendering, a slope towards the HL, but from the street you’ll still need access to get up to that park.

By the way, even though it’s not perceived as a wall, the southside of 15 Hudson may as well be...

https://www.archdaily.com/337960/dil...new-york-photo

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 10:54 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
What renderings are you talking about?
The one on the first page, although I guess those are just placeholders.

Isn't there a height limit for this phase though? If there are 8 towers they might be kinda fat.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 12:28 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I remember reading something that said about or close to 1/2 of the square footage of Hudson Yards will rise in Phase II. So with the park cutting the available land to build, we could be looking at some very bulky residential towers for Phase II.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 3:51 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Jan 26, 2020, 12:53 PM

Future generations will have no idea of all those train lines under the complex. I can see some lame Di$ney movie showing wide eyed brats uncovering an alien civilization under there or something equally inane.

I'm sure that trash flick will make a billion Dollars.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 6:10 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visionist View Post
Future generations will have no idea of all those train lines under the complex. I can see some lame Di$ney movie showing wide eyed brats uncovering an alien civilization under there or something equally inane.

I'm sure that trash flick will make a billion Dollars.

Just consider all of the buildings built around and north of Grand Central. Nobody thinks of those as being above a railyard, but that's exactly what they are. We'll get an opening into that when 270 Park is demolished.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 2:16 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Mar 7, 2020, 5:17 AM
New Yorker for life

Watch full screen...

Old Posted Mar 7, 2020, 5:39 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Some screen shots:

Old Posted Mar 7, 2020, 11:22 AM

I don't see much excitement just a group of shiny buildings thrown together. It desperately needed that Hudson Spire.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals