HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted May 27, 2015, 4:09 AM
Closed account

Foster Penn Hospital

Foster Penn Hospital Tower: Some project highlights are being passed down to employees, particularly to those who are being told their departments are to inhabit the new hospital.

What I've heard:

Cardiac unit moving.

Building primarily "beds"

Old hospital to be renovated for outpatient departments and nursing education.

Walls near beds to "be like iPads" where "things can be written"

All rooms to be private (one bed). This goes beyond trying to exceed industry standards. Apparently it has to do with limiting infection transmission.

Old Posted May 28, 2015, 12:02 AM

Article on 410 Society Hill by Toll Brothers

http://philly.curbed.com/archives/20...k-delivery.php

Old Posted May 28, 2015, 1:20 AM

Society Hill SuperFresh site development - some basic information

http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelp...h-site-in.html

Not sure why people in the neighborhood are complaining at all. Plenty of room to put a brand new Whole Foods here on the ground floor with underground parking and three or four floors of apartment above.

Old Posted May 29, 2015, 2:37 AM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Hancock and Sansom - Old City
New rows coming to this small street? Right next to the Ritz East in Old City taking out more of the surface lot.

Part of this surface lot will be closed in 2 weeks. Looks like this project is getting off the ground.

Old Posted May 29, 2015, 4:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
Part of this surface lot will be closed in 2 weeks. Looks like this project is getting off the ground.
Awesome! Now there's only one section of this parking lot left. Hopefully we'll see a nice sized building in the 10 floor range to take up the remainder of the lot.

Old Posted May 29, 2015, 2:28 PM

3.0 University Place - 41st and Market - new renderings

Website here:
http://30universityplace.com/

Old Posted May 29, 2015, 2:54 PM

3.0 University Place doesn't look half bad. I like that we are seeing more glass and less cheap and clichéd paneling than we've become used to seeing on many University City projects.

Old Posted May 29, 2015, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
3.0 University Place doesn't look half bad. I like that we are seeing more glass and less cheap and clichéd paneling than we've become used to seeing on many University City projects.
It's ok... if you plopped that down in the middle of a parking lot off Swedesford Road it would look perfectly in place.

Old Posted May 29, 2015, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
It's ok... if you plopped that down in the middle of a parking lot off Swedesford Road it would look perfectly in place.
Except that the corners of this appear to slope outward as they rise up (pretty sure that's not just a perspective illusion), so there may be a bit more flair than you'd typically find in the 'burbs:

http://30universityplace.com/?page_id=21

Old Posted May 29, 2015, 6:26 PM

Add $325 Million to Gallery Renovation

Old Posted May 29, 2015, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
Except instead of being surrounded by a massive parking lot, it has almost zero parking, is steps away from the subway, and is integrated with the surrounding streets.

I get that it's not a jaw dropping design, but I also recognize that 40th and Market is not CC (heck, it's not even UC anymore). It's bringing jobs to a badly needed area and is one thousand times better than what's there now: https://goo.gl/maps/kOQ7b

Approved!

Old Posted May 29, 2015, 7:37 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Agreed with McBane here. Spec office buildings don't always have the sexiest of designs, and while the chunk the Science Center's built on the 3701 block of Market are fairly blah on their own, they definitely help that stretch feel more urban than the Science Center's south side.

Incidentally, if the Science Center keeps developing at a rapid clip and both the Innovation District and UPA get off the ground, that will lead to a large concentration of modern science and tech-oriented offices along Market between 30th and 42nd, broken only by Drexel's campus.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Jun 1, 2015, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
It's bringing jobs to a badly needed area and is one thousand times better than what's there now: https://goo.gl/maps/kOQ7b
That's 40th & Market. This is proposed for 41st which is even worse (currently a collection of surface lots). I completely agree that this project is terrific from an urban fabric perspective. 3.0 and the now complete 2.0 University Place are essentially creating dense urban fabric from thin air (or their urban equivalent: surface parking). This is definitely a huge improvement. And while the design may not be award winning, it certainly isn't ugly and depending on the quality of construction could end up being quite handsome.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2015, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
Except instead of being surrounded by a massive parking lot, it has almost zero parking, is steps away from the subway, and is integrated with the surrounding streets.

I get that it's not a jaw dropping design, but I also recognize that 40th and Market is not CC (heck, it's not even UC anymore). It's bringing jobs to a badly needed area and is one thousand times better than what's there now: https://goo.gl/maps/kOQ7b

Approved!
Oops, Insoluble already pointed out it was the wrong intersection. Anyways, here is the right one.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2015, 3:12 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
A major chunk of the parking lot was taped off and no cars parked on it today. I heard only space for about 30 cars will remain in use while pre-construction/construction takes place. Another surface lot bites the dust!

Old Posted Jun 1, 2015, 6:18 PM

Fairmount Ave Construction - Broad to Corinthian

The Old Country Fresh Market

1720 Fairmount

Another Angle...

Mortgage Security Trust Bld

Last edited by PhiLaw; Jun 1, 2015 at 8:47 PM.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2015, 11:34 PM

New College House

5/31/15

Old Posted Jun 2, 2015, 12:40 AM

Has anyone been to the New Carlos Bakery? I'm hoping the fact that Carlo's came to Philly means that places like Magnolia's, Georgetown Cupcake, Sprinkles, etc. will come to Walnut or even other parts of the city. IMO, if DC and Boston can have these, so should Philly.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2015, 4:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemustardo View Post
Has anyone been to the New Carlos Bakery? I'm hoping the fact that Carlo's came to Philly means that places like Magnolia's, Georgetown Cupcake, Sprinkles, etc. will come to Walnut or even other parts of the city. IMO, if DC and Boston can have these, so should Philly.
Careful what you wish for. Philly is definitely on the radar of well-known "foodies," but often times these more trendy/popular businesses (Georgetown Cupcake is a prime example) are much more hype and marketing than substance. There's nothing particularly appealing about spending $12.00 on a mediocre cupcake. I'll give Buddy Valastro a pass given his roots, but even the "Cake Boss" doesn't have the same "humble baker" charm as before (which is ironically what makes these types of places so popular in the first place).

That's not to say that it's not great to see outsiders invest in the city, but it's important for the Philly to maintain a healthy atmosphere of more authentic, homegrown, mom-and-pop type businesses (which is also why so many people are attracted to it in the first place).

Old Posted Jun 2, 2015, 9:24 AM

Lincoln apartments renovation:
043 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

1100 Chestnut:

049 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

052 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

051 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

076 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

077 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development