HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 2:31 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilsenarch View Post
Aurielien: Wow. What an incredible piece of shit.... the eagles are cool, though. This has got to be one of the worst towers in Chicago to be constructed in a generation... particularly given it's visual impact on the Rush/Gold Coast neighborhood....

Could not possibly agree with you more. It must be nearly impossible to overstate how bad of a building Aurielien is. It certainly meets my expectations pre-construction based on the renderings.

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 2:34 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
I agree that density is appropriate for a site that is closer to Garfield Park than the Sears Tower. Anything West of there should step up every block until you have 30-40 floor skyscrapers starting at Morgan and going East.

Just as importantly though, for both you and TUP - is the question of use. A residential building of this size/density at this location makes sense. An office building? - MUCH, MUCH less so......

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 2:37 PM

625 W Adams

May 2

May 6
from the Ike

May 8
core forms are down.

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
Belgravia is about to begin two condo projects then (have they even started marketing the 360 W Erie units?)
Yup. They opened a sales center in the old Citizen space a few weeks back.

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
What an update! Does anyone know the story on these awesome eagles at 833 N Clark? The building itself wouldn't be too bad if the beige portion was painted black. Maybe someday..
Should it be consisdered cruel irony that the "Embracing" eagles wings has a sign that says "Do not enter" behind it? Still very cool sculptures. Right outside of an underwalk, kind of reminds me of the board of trade underwalk.

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 6:00 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
https://www.chicagoarchitecture.org/...evised-by-scb/

With a New Owner, Proposed North & Clark High Rise Being Revised by SCB

Never thought I'd be so happy to learn of SCB landing a commission! Previous design was grotesque. Glad this piece of infill now has real developers behind it....

For a laugh, go check out Chicago Architectue Blog's post on this. This guy that calls himself "Editor" must be one of the goofiest design 'critics' alive today. Previously, he was caught gushing over our own Bob Stern abomination....now he just professed himself a fan of the former North and Clark 'puke-on-print'.....wacky stuff!

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Belgravia is about to begin two condo projects then (have they even started marketing the 360 W Erie units?).....they also have 403 N. Wabash.....
there was an advertisement on the side of that building at Orleans/locust but they are doing construction on it now so I haven't seen it

but the sales center for Renelle (403 n Wabash) is still around on the first floor of 405 N wabash

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 7:48 PM

Don't remember seeing this one on here:
https://chicago.curbed.com/2017/5/8/...r-sale-61-erie

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 12:36 AM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
Some pages back there was talk of previously having seen a model in the BKL office; I hadn't seen anything confirmed as current, especially given the (head fake?) blurb about a very tall building coming. Usually when a Spyguy announcement rolls around, there is at last something definitive.
Who said there was a very tall building coming? I for one never expected anything of the sort....

Now that we know Magellan's involved, certainly makes sense that bKL's designing it.....

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 2:32 AM

225 W Hubbard

May 5

May 8

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 10:36 AM

Three11 W Illinois

May 1

May 5

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 10:47 AM

Are the top floors of three11 going to be amenity or mechanical floors? Those would be some tall windows for a lounge with some cool views.

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 11:44 AM

Wondering if we will see the 460 W Chicago Ave (Chicago & Cambridge) 30 story, 260 unit building soon. The land was sold on 4/21 for $9.5M. Or quite possibly it could have been sold to a new developer and maybe we will see a much better design than the following. One can only hope..

https://www.chicagoarchitecture.org/...ewhat-smaller/

ALSO, 590 W Washington Blvd sold on 4/4 for just over $16M. Currently, mostly a surface parking lot. Wonder what's going on there....across the street from where SC Johnson bought that building for an office and also near a few new developments.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8833...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Last edited by marothisu; May 9, 2017 at 12:03 PM.

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 2:28 PM

635 N Wells

May 1

May 5

May 8

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 4:28 PM

The tower crane at the McHugh hotel on Cermak was in operation yesterday. Does anyone know if the caisson issue has been sorted out and they are back at it?

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Who said there was a very tall building coming? I for one never expected anything of the sort....

Now that we know Magellan's involved, certainly makes sense that bKL's designing it.....
"Big apartment tower planned south of the Chicago River on Michigan Avenue

two well-known Chicago developers and a Chinese investor plan a big apartment tower on a once-drab stretch of Michigan Avenue that recently has sprung to life with a wave of real estate developments.

Chicago-based Sterling Bay and Magellan Development Group are drawing up plans for a tall apartment tower at 300 N. Michigan Ave., where a four-story building would be demolished, according to sources."

I think with the title like that people expected it to be larger than 43 stories..maybe in Indianapolis its considered big but this is Chicago... when we hear big apartment tower we expect something rather significant..especially being on Michigan avenue..

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 3:37 AM
Chicago

Aloft Chicago Mag Mile - 237 E Ontario

May 9, 2017

Differnt soil conditions than other sites which have more clay.

Last edited by SolarWind; May 10, 2017 at 3:56 AM.

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicubs111 View Post
"Big apartment tower planned south of the Chicago River on Michigan Avenue

two well-known Chicago developers and a Chinese investor plan a big apartment tower on a once-drab stretch of Michigan Avenue that recently has sprung to life with a wave of real estate developments.

Chicago-based Sterling Bay and Magellan Development Group are drawing up plans for a tall apartment tower at 300 N. Michigan Ave., where a four-story building would be demolished, according to sources."

I think with the title like that people expected it to be larger than 43 stories..maybe in Indianapolis its considered big but this is Chicago... when we hear big apartment tower we expect something rather significant..especially being on Michigan avenue..
I'm a fan of the height of this building for a few reasons. First, it's replacing a 3 story building in a prime location along Michigan Avenue. Rising to the approximate height of it's neighbors, views of the Carbon and Carbide Building will remain. Viewing it from the west looking east along the River, both of Jeanne Gang's towers - Aqua and Vista - will be visible above it. I think it will fit in quite nicely in that spot.

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 1:32 PM
BANNED

"Big" gets clicks. That's all they really care about.

In regards to the hotel at Cermak and Michigan, I read that the caisson issues have been corrected and that work has resumed.

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 2:12 PM
BANNED

I really hope it's 650'. bkl does such great work and it needs to land taller buildings.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations