HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Oct 11, 2020, 9:22 PM

The new section of the mall has been opened. No new stores yet but it’s so exciting!

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GET View Post
The new section of the mall has been opened. No new stores yet but it’s so exciting!
Took a walk around "loop" created by new addition today.

Posters for H&M and Old Navy are up at old Winners space; Davids Tea permanently closed; Posters for Sport Chek up at large space next to the new Winners; Posters for Gap Factory up next to Sport Chek space; Posters up for Hakim Optical next to new Tip Top location; Posters up for new Bentley store next to Mountain Warehouse; Laura Secord closed while getting face lift in same location...opening Nov 2020.

Looking forward to more openings....no doubt slowed by the pandemic.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2020, 2:01 PM

Never heard of this store before but apparently a new tea store is coming the Avalon mall:

https://twitter.com/avalonmall/statu...22506500788225

Old Posted Oct 23, 2020, 4:09 PM

Another store bites the pandemic dust unfortunately. Le Chateau will close all 123 stores in Canada after filing for creditor protection. That leaves another sizeable vacancy in the mall.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/le-...ccaa-1.5774108

Old Posted Oct 23, 2020, 4:57 PM

Was at the mall at lunch and saw a new map showing the location of the new stores in the extension. Took a photo of the map and was then told by a security guard to delete the photo. I asked why, and he just said "no photos allowed."
Granted I should have been more discrete, but i didn't think I needed to be for a poster/map on the wall!
I've messaged Avalon Mall on their Facebook page to ask them why I was asked to delete the photo.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightFury View Post
Was at the mall at lunch and saw a new map showing the location of the new stores in the extension. Took a photo of the map and was then told by a security guard to delete the photo. I asked why, and he just said "no photos allowed."
Granted I should have been more discrete, but i didn't think I needed to be for a poster/map on the wall!
I've messaged Avalon Mall on their Facebook page to ask them why I was asked to delete the photo.
Don't have a pic of the full map, but a friend got a picture of part of it and there is a Levi's coming to the mall! Three stores in a row next to each other are Levi's, Bikini Village, and Skechers

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 2:29 PM

I saw a news article last night about T.Kettle, the guy who bought HMV and rebranded as Sun Records is behind it, he is opening 35 former Davids Tea locations across Canada and we will be one. No word if it will be the existing location in the Avalon Mall or perhaps a relocation.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsell View Post
I saw a news article last night about T.Kettle, the guy who bought HMV and rebranded as Sun Records is behind it, he is opening 35 former Davids Tea locations across Canada and we will be one. No word if it will be the existing location in the Avalon Mall or perhaps a relocation.
The 45 locations are listed on the map - scroll down. St. John's is one of them.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/t-k...tman-1.5779901

All of these are existing locations, ready to open, with rock bottom lease rates. The reason he chose these locations.

Ron.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfBC View Post
The 45 locations are listed on the map - scroll down. St. John's is one of them.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/t-k...tman-1.5779901

All of these are existing locations, ready to open, with rock bottom lease rates. The reason he chose these locations.

Ron.
As per the article. "Canada is predominantly a coffee-drinking culture, with more than three billion cups consumed per year. Tea, meanwhile, is only about 500 million cups a year.'
Not an insignificant number. Might not be as profitable as coffee, but I guess there's money to be made with the right business model.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 8:12 PM

Here's a picture of the map in the new mall expansion!

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 9:50 PM

I also did my own little update of the most current mall floor plan to see al the vacancies and updates.

Not included are four vacancies upstairs: EBGames old spot, Samuel & Co, Half of Things Engraved, and soon Le Chateau.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 2:53 PM

0465 is where Bath & Body Works is moving to. It's currently being used for their lineups. A manager in the store told me the other week that construction is supposed to be starting soon. It's the malls decision when construction starts. She said she didn't know where they would put their sometimes 30 mins wait lines.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 1:30 PM

Five Guys coming to the Avalon Mall

BIG NEWS! Five Guys will be joining Avalon Mall!! Five Guys’ legendary handcrafted burgers and fries, hot dogs, and unique milkshakes are coming to Avalon Mall’s expansion area (beside our new south mall entrance). Five Guys will be accessible by an interior entrance inside the mall, as well as an exterior entrance from the parking lot. Stay tuned for more details on Facebook: FiveGuys Avalon Mall or read about Five Guys here: www.fiveguys.ca

Source: Posted by Avalon Mall on their FB Page

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 1:35 PM

Five guy

Five Guys has been announced for the Avalon Mall. It will be located near the new entrance facing the Polina Road intersection and will also have an outside entrance of their own which will allow for outside sitting in the summer months.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2020, 4:17 PM

For those who have not seen the completed exterior renovation (Old Sears replacement and parking lot infill). These are from a week or so ago.

H&M sign is up and I'm assuming the section to the left of the new south entrance currently being worked on would be the FiveGuys location.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2020, 7:22 PM

All I can think of with seeing that Five Guys location is....are they opening up a standalone location anytime soon?

Convenient if you are in the mall...not if you just want to pick some up...

Old Posted Nov 14, 2020, 7:37 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrowth View Post
All I can think of with seeing that Five Guys location is....are they opening up a standalone location anytime soon?

One of the posts above mentioned there would be both internal and external entrances to Five Guys, so you don't have to go through the mall if you don't want to.

There will be no drive-thru if that's what you mean, but Five Guys doesn't really do drive-thrus AFAIK.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2020, 8:45 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:

I don't think i've ever seen an FG location in a mall. They're almost exclusively power centre standalone builds.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2020, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
One of the posts above mentioned there would be both internal and external entrances to Five Guys, so you don't have to go through the mall if you don't want to.

There will be no drive-thru if that's what you mean, but Five Guys doesn't really do drive-thrus AFAIK.
This area is a bit of a clusterfuck in terms of ease of parking and access. Typically very busy. On top of it it's right next to a new entrance which means parking in that area will be even extra hard to come by. You might as well swear off Five Guys during the month of December...again unless you are already in the mall for some other reason.

Glad we're getting it but hopefully a second standalone location opens somewhere else.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2020, 10:58 PM

Quote:
This area is a bit of a clusterfuck in terms of ease of parking and access. Typically very busy. On top of it it's right next to a new entrance which means parking in that area will be even extra hard to come by. You might as well swear off Five Guys during the month of December...again unless you are already in the mall for some other reason.

Glad we're getting it but hopefully a second standalone location opens somewhere else.
That'd be great, but I guess it'll depend on how this initial location does. I've only been to Five Guys in Florida and it's been a mix of standalone (mostly) and strip mall locations.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's