HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

MetLife Building in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 27, 2014, 5:44 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

C'mon guys no need to troll this thread. Most of these comments will probably get deleted.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2014, 9:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
C'mon guys no need to troll this thread. Most of these comments will probably get deleted.
There being idiots....one of them is consistantly an idiot....

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 8:43 AM
Crane Goddess

I got some more Pan Am pics on my latest visit, I'll upload them soon!
"Prayers are fleeting and wars are forgotten, but what is built endures"
-Ambassador DeLenn, Babylon 5

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 9:27 AM
BANNED

What for? The building isn't going anywhere and nothing has changed around GCT.

But sure, let's see the same picture all over again

Last edited by Perklol; Nov 13, 2014 at 3:51 PM.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 6:03 PM
Crane Goddess

I honestly don't know why you and eveningsong even hang around this thread talking so much crap. If you don't like this building, why waste the time carping about how much you hate it, and snarking at everyone? Immaturity like what I've seen from you and eveningsong is one reason why I don't post here as much.

Yeah, I know posting that alphagetti meme wasn't my finest moment, but I have precious little patience for those with apparently nothing better to do than clutter up the forums with snark.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 6:47 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

^^^^^

Perklol is Eveningsong. Recently had a name change on SSP.

Although he is a great contributor on YIMBY and he contributes to SSP; especially on the transit aspect of it. He just has an dynamic opinion on this structure thats all.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2014, 1:41 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanita View Post
Yeah, I know posting that alphagetti meme wasn't my finest moment, but I have precious little patience for those with apparently nothing better to do than clutter up the forums with snark.
Says an individual that has enough time to make visits to the top of the rock every month.

Two wrongs don't make it right btw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanita View Post
Immaturity like what I've seen from you and eveningsong is one reason why I don't post here as much.
You know there is an ignore option right? Feel free to ignore my posts if you don't like reading them. Why you never learned about this feature since 2003 is beyond me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
^^^^^

Perklol is Eveningsong. Recently had a name change on SSP.

Although he is a great contributor on YIMBY and he contributes to SSP; especially on the transit aspect of it. He just has an dynamic opinion on this structure thats all.
Thank you Chris!

Last edited by Perklol; Nov 14, 2014 at 11:33 AM.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2014, 9:01 PM
Crane Goddess

Every month? Try once a year, if I'm lucky! Those pics I posted earlier were from my 2011 visit, I just hadn't gotten around to uploading them.
Again, I just don't see the point in hanging out somewhere talking about how much something sucks, instead of hanging out somewhere else (another thread about a building you like better, perhaps), talking about something positive.
And there's a gulf of difference between saying "I don't like this, and here is why" and "This sucks, destroy it!"

Old Posted Nov 14, 2014, 9:04 PM

This thread is a clusterfuck. Mods please clean it up.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2014, 12:28 AM
BANNED

@post #88 -- Everyone is invited to post his opinion on any thread.

P.S.-- You obviously never hang around much here at SSP to begin with. Take a look around and see other threads for a change and you'll notice comments like "raze those/this building(s)" are quite common.

But anyways, back to (formally asbestos filled) Metlife building.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 9:14 AM
Crane Goddess

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 1:10 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I've always liked this building more than most. Funny thing is that I hate similar buildings that block the spires along the waterfront of the financial district. I suppose the latter buildings have no redeeming qualities, whereas this one does.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 5:19 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Its monolithic size is what makes it. I quite like it. For its time, it was huge, but was also one of the many structures that rose which were very bulky during the 60's.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2014, 8:08 PM

I flew in a helicopter from the roof of this building to JFK one evening back in 1967. There was regularly scheduled helicopter service from the roof for several years back in the 1960s and maybe into the 1970s. It was about a 12 passenger helicopter. The chopper kind of sunk lower after clearing the roof when it took off, and I think it was as scary as some subsequent roller coaster rides I've taken. The view was awesome, and the whole trip was over in less than 15 minutes. We were basically sightseeing. After we got to JFK we rented a car and drove out to Sayville to catch the ferry to Fire Island.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2014, 8:51 PM

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 7:31 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Billionaire Bren Is Secret Owner of New York’s MetLife Building

Quote:
The owner of the MetLife Building, one of Manhattan’s most well-known skyscrapers, isn’t who most people think.

California billionaire Donald Bren’s Irvine Co. has built a 97.3 percent ownership stake in the 58-story tower in the past decade, said Dan Young, an executive vice president at the closely held company. While Tishman Speyer is still the managing partner of the property, which it acquired in 2005 for $1.79 billion and features on its website, the company’s stake in the MetLife Building has been whittled to less than 3 percent.

“It was just a matter of timing, really,” Young said in a telephone interview yesterday. “It was a very timely opportunity for us.”

Newport Beach, California-based Irvine Co., which doesn’t list any Manhattan office holdings on its website, first acquired a stake in the 200 Park Ave. tower in 2005 and has been increasing its investment since, Young said. Bud Perrone, a spokesman for New York-based Tishman Speyer, declined to comment.

The actual ownership of the MetLife Building, a 58-story skyscraper perched over Grand Central Terminal, has managed to remain a secret in one of the world’s priciest and most highly scrutinized real estate markets. Irvine Co.’s control has come to light as banks are negotiating to refinance debt backed by the tower. That deal values the property at almost $3 billion, people familiar with the matter said last month, making the building one of the most expensive in New York City.
==================================
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...-metlife-tower

Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 10:09 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

MetLife to move all city offices to its namesake tower

Quote:
MetLife is heading to the jumbo skyscraper it once owned.

The insurance giant has signed a lease to quadruple its space at 200 Park Ave. — and will move all its Big Apple employees to the Midtown tower where its name is affixed along the roof line in 15-foot letters.
The new lease covers about 550,000 square feet.

In a statement, the $57 billion company said this will become its “sole New York City employee location” and added the 12-year lease will “increase its footprint in the building by approximately 430,000 square feet.”

MetLife already leases about 110,400 square feet in the building, according to CoStar Group data — space that includes the 56th and 57th floors in the 59-story tower that straddles Park Ave. and overlooks Grand Central Terminal.
It will now add 335,000 square feet on the 3rd through 5th floors now occupied by Barclay’s, sources said.

To make it available for MetLife, Barclay’s signed a surrender agreement to give the space back to the building’s owners, Tishman Speyer Properties, in a deal negotiated by Michael Berg, Kenneth Siegel and Peter Riguardi of JLL, which declined comment.

The Post first reported the consolidation to 200 Park on Dec. 23, 2014, when the insurance giant was also negotiating for, and will now have the 93,500 square foot 6th floor, as well.

MetLife was represented by a Cushman & Wakefield team of Bruce Mosler and John Cefaly, sources said. That company also declined comment.
MetLife will be moving out of 1095 Ave. of the Americas, 277 Park Ave. and Long Island City to what they state is “this one central location, in phases, beginning in December 2016. All moves are expected to be completed by the first half of 2017.”
===================================
http://nypost.com/2015/03/18/metlife...-avenue-tower/

Old Posted Aug 7, 2015, 7:38 PM

Having the opportunity to work next door to it seeing it every day, its just a monster.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2015, 9:59 PM
Come As You Are

I can't imagine Midtown without it. I wonder if they will ever replace the glass in the windows? Some of it is miscoloured.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2015, 12:04 AM

Imagine if the mullions crown were pure white, i think itd look awesome.

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture