HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

View Poll Results: Which transbay tower design scheme do you like best?
#1 Richard Rogers 40 8.05%
#2 Cesar Pelli 99 19.92%
#3 SOM 358 72.03%
Voters: 497. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Sep 20, 2007, 1:19 AM
Green Berniecrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post
Can't wait to hear what Daly has to say about it, the whole office thing. I just hope Pelli wants to make his building taller to fit the residential needs.

I'm really not as upset as I was at first when the jury released its verdict, and I don't think the terminal is tacky or suburban at all. It's not as grand as SOM's, but it's a lot better than what we have now.
Yes, I agree too. Sometimes I cant help but think that perhaps they offered such a huge sum of money in anticipation of being asked to increase the height of the tower or add more floors. It seems very unlikely, but its just a thought.

I still have mixed feelings about all this. It was a huge negative when SOM turned out to be last, but I think we can all agree that its not even a question that Pelli's tower is much much better than whats there now. I dont hate Pelli's tower, I just feel bad that SOM's was left to hang dry. If SOM had never proposed what they did, I would have greatly backed Pelli's. Oh well, lets see is any fireworks are set off tommorow.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2007, 1:36 AM
designer&stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryBarbierSRPD View Post
As sad is this is to say, it seems that the TJPA is already scheduled to announce Pelli as the winner in the meeting tomorrow morning, as per item #8 in their schedule.

http://www.transbaycenter.org/TransB...nt.aspx?id=837

I know "It ain't over 'til it's over," but seeing that schedule makes me feel that this just cements Pelli's winning the competition.
Well, now I can only hope that Pelli's proposal comes into being and that the tower's height is not cut down.
“Most planning of the past fifteen years has been based upon three destructive fallacies: the cataclysmic insists upon tearing everything down in order to design from an absolutely clean slate; the automotive would plan for the free passage of the automobile at the expense of all other values; the suburban dislikes the city anyway and would just as soon destroy its density and strew it across the countryside.” Vince Scully

Old Posted Sep 20, 2007, 3:23 AM
BANNED

So what happens after tomorrow? They announce the winner and they start digging? I know the environmental review process will be over any month now. How much longer do we have to wait??

Old Posted Sep 20, 2007, 4:04 AM
Anti-NIMBY

Quote:
So what happens after tomorrow? They announce the winner and they start digging? I know the environmental review process will be over any month now. How much longer do we have to wait??
Well, according to the TJPA, construction/demolition isn't supposed to actually happen until another year from now...

Old Posted Sep 20, 2007, 4:45 AM
Pizza Pizza

^^^are you serious? what starts construction first the tower or the transit station?

Old Posted Sep 20, 2007, 4:58 AM
Anti-NIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajaxsonbayboi View Post
^^^are you serious? what starts construction first the tower or the transit station?
I would guess that the terminal would be finished before the tower is, as a temporary terminal will need to be used for commuters until the new terminal is complete. I imagine that they'll be building them concurrently, as the two structures are connected to each other.

And by the way, their website says construction phase 1 begins 2008, so if all of the design/planning/approvals/demolition is ready by the middle or even the beginning of the year, construction could start as soon as that.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2007, 5:16 AM
Pizza Pizza

well thats somewhat good news. even though SOM isnt the one being constructed

Old Posted Sep 20, 2007, 5:47 AM
Waiting for what's next..

Thumbs down "It's all a matter of taste",

said the old lady, as she kissed the cow.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2007, 7:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWR View Post
said the old lady, as she kissed the cow.
Ha! Perfect!

I am hoping that the Planning study will prove that even taller than 1200 foot heights are acceptable. I think the Pelli tower will look much better at 1375 feet near Piano's possible 1200 footer(s). Let's also have SOM design the TJPA Howard Street tower. I will feel much better about SOM loosing to Pelli in the competition, if these alternatives were possible. Please do not shorten the Piano towers to compensate for a 1200 foot Pelli tower instead.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2007, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Remember, they still need to convert the parking lot between Beale, Folsom, Main and Howard into a temporary bus terminal. I don't think that should take too long, as it is essentially just a parking lot with a few overhangs for people waiting for the bus in poor weather.

I personally am eager to see them demolish the current terminal and on-ramps. I live nearby and have to step over the homeless and their excrement on a daily basis. That should really help to open up the area.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2007, 2:36 PM
Pizza Pizza

Question

Today is the day! still having my fingers crossed in hoping that they still pick SOM

Old Posted Sep 20, 2007, 2:53 PM

Something interesting to consider, and something I used in my arguments against Pelli, is that all that parcels around the terminal are to be developed. Some of them, as we know, with the possibility of being 800' or 900'. This will really keep the Pelli park in shadows a lot of the year. And with the park surrounded by towers it will feel more like a landscaped alley than a park.

Now there are laws on the books, that new towers can't be built if they shade parks. I don't know if that's relevant here because it could be considered a private park. But nonetheless, it will drastically reduce the enjoyment of the Pelli park. And if they follow the laws about sunshine and shadows, could prevent the height increases of the very parcels that are meant to fund the terminal.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2007, 5:38 PM
Anti-NIMBY

...Somebody get back from the meeting and post the results already!

Old Posted Sep 20, 2007, 6:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryBarbierSRPD View Post
...Somebody get back from the meeting and post the results already!
Any hopes of SOM winning are clearly just wishes at this point. There's nothing we can do except hope that their gorgeous tower doesn't go unused and that they are allowed to build it on one of only a few available sites left downtown where height restrictions are being reconsidered.

Let's keep those fingers and toes crossed!

Old Posted Sep 20, 2007, 6:36 PM

Pelli's website has announced that they've won the competition.

http://www.pcparch.com

Old Posted Sep 20, 2007, 6:54 PM
BANNED

oh FUCK! damn it. leave it to san francisco to choose the boring design. idiots.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2007, 7:23 PM
I love boxes.

How tall is the Pelli's version ?

Old Posted Sep 20, 2007, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aluminum View Post
How tall is the Pelli's version ?
1200 feet - 80 stories, as proposed.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2007, 7:40 PM

Hey! Maybe now San Francsico will take the title of "World's Shortest Railway" from Angel's Flight.

But in all seriousness, I am not that disappointed. Although it was not my first choice, it's not a bad "plain" tower and terminal. When I think about it, alot of my favorite skylines have mediocre "tallest buildings". I never thought much of Sear's design nor do I have much love for the new "Chicago Spire," but still "I THINK" (and I stress that its just an opinon) Chicago has the handsomest skyline in the country. And although the Empire is iconic and monumental, I think Chrysler will always be New Yorks greatest skyscraper. This tower is just nice and simple and big. Probably wont be great on it's own, but apart of a great skyline. I look foward to Renzo Piano's towers, the other towers that will be built around transbay, Treasure Islands tallest, and maybe something in Oakland (ya never know). For Pelli's tower, I really hope it gets built at its height and looks elegant. We should start a new thread for it and call it "the drama begins!"

As a sidenote, I really think I would like the tower a lot more if its were all done up in a creamy white like it looks in this model. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyWyv...elated&search= . But I am confident that won't be the case. But if it were we could call it the "Milk Man!"

Last edited by San Frangelino; Sep 20, 2007 at 7:50 PM.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2007, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBuchman View Post
1200 feet - 80 stories, as proposed.
The news just reported Pelli as the winner at 1,400 feet. Any truth to that, or just an error? I don't see anything new on the TJPA website...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development