HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Sep 6, 2008, 1:58 AM
Only Mostly Dead

I hear you, Dave. I wanted to walk down to Trinity this week, but it's been too hot to make that trek. Heck, I couldn't even muster the will to walk over to Market to check out One Kearny!

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 10:08 PM
Only Mostly Dead

The Mission Creek Sports Park is opening this weekend. There will be a grand opening festival this Saturday, starting at 10:00am. More details at the Mission Bay Parks website.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Sep 19, 2008, 3:00 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 1:39 PM PDT | Modified: Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 2:36 PM
UC Regents approve plan for new $1.7B UCSF Mission Bay hospital complex
San Francisco Business Times - by Chris Rauber

As expected, the University of California Regents have approved the design, budget and other key elements of UC San Francisco’s nearly $1.7 billion new hospital campus at Mission Bay, UCSF announced Thursday.

UCSF officials said the project, which has a first-phase $1.686 billion budget, will be one of the largest building projects in the western United States. The Regents unanimously approved the hospital complex’s budget, design and environmental certification, according to UCSF, which hopes to build a 289-bed women’s, children’s and cancer specialty hospital at Mission Bay by early 2014.

The new facility, squeezed into a 14.5-acre parcel, will be located adjacent to UCSF’s 43-acre biomedical research campus, south of downtown San Francisco near AT&T Park.

The first phase of the project includes construction of the hospital complex itself, along with a parking lot. When more money is available, UCSF would begin the next phase, which would include a cancer outpatient building, a 580-car parking structure and faculty office space. After that, at least a decade or more from now, UCSF might add 261 more inpatient beds, expanded outpatient services and more parking.

UCSF said its goal is to integrate patient care with research, strengthening both “bench to bedside” and “bedside to bench” collaboration among UCSF basic scientists, clinical researchers and physicians. The new facility will also allow UCSF to meet state seismic safety regulations and alleviate space shortages at its Parnassus Heights and Mt. Zion campuses.

Mark Laret, CEO of UCSF Medical Center, predicted the resulting complex at Mission Bay will be “an epicenter” of international scope, combining the best in clinical care with the best in health science research.

The Regents approved the Mission Bay hospital plan as an agenda item at their regular business meeting this week, held on the UC Irvine campus, officials said. The Regents’ committees on grounds and buildings and finance voted in favor of the project Sept. 17, followed by an approval by the full board Thursday, Sept. 18.

That OK was the last major hurdle before UCSF submits structural plans to the California Office of Statewide Health Planning and Development in December. Construction on the complex, which has been in the planning stages since 2002, would begin in 2009 after it receives state approval, with the facility slated to open by early 2014, UCSF said.

If all goes according to plan, the new facility will be the first hospital built from the ground up in San Francisco in 30 years.

The giant project will be funded by a mixture of philanthropic contributions, hospital reserves, debt financing and state support. San Francisco philanthropist Dede Wilsey is voluntary chairwoman of a campaign to raise $600 million in private donations. The campaign’s planning team includes business and civic leaders Barbara Bass Bakar, Ronald Conway, Carmen Policy and Richard Rosenberg.

crauber@bizjournals.com / (415) 288-4946
Source: http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci...ml?t=printable

Old Posted Sep 24, 2008, 7:36 PM

Not much new to report here...lots of activity on the existing projects, but nothing terribly noteworthy.

The big news is that a large mobile crane has arrived on the UCSF campus, which is almost certainly here to erect the steel for the cardiovascular research building. They've been finishing up with some minor concrete pours yesterday and today, and then the foundation should be done. Haven't seen any steel arriving on site yet, but I'd imagine it should be just around the corner.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2008, 2:20 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Thanks Cowboy. I did manage to get a couple of shots of Avalon today. They're from a moving bus, so not the best:

Old Posted Sep 25, 2008, 2:26 AM
Only Mostly Dead

I also shot 1500 Owens today. These photos don't do the building any justice. It's really quite.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2008, 10:17 PM

Nice shots, p.g...thanks for posting those. I can see Avalon from my work building, and it's neat to see façade panels going onto the upper levels first, as shown in your first pic. Not too often you see that.

And I too like 1500 Owens...Alexandria is going with some pretty interesting architecture on a lot of their projects in Mission Bay. Reminder: Check out their site for details on their projects. They've posted some new info on and renderings of 600 and 650 Misson Rock recently.

On a related note, 1450 Owens and 600 and 650 Mission Rock are going before the Planning Commission in a few days. It doesn't mean construction will start anytime soon, but it's progress!

The Pier 70 shipyard has a new visitor, Star Princess. No camera today, or I'd post a pic or two...an impressive ship.

And following up on my note yesterday regarding the arrival of the crane for UCSF's cardiovascular research building, steel has begun arriving. They've also installed a lift, even though it's a lift to nowhere at the moment. Screenshot from CVRB webcam:

Old Posted Sep 27, 2008, 5:45 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Thanks Cowboy, my pleasure.

You're right about some of the proposed architecture on their site. The best is definitely yet to come. How far along are they on the facade of 455 Mission Bay? I like the rendering, but I don't recall seeing it last time I was down there and I don't think I can see it from the freeway.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2008, 4:38 PM

455 MB Blvd S isn't up yet...they're still working on the foundation grade beams. Will definitely let you know when it begins to rise.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2008, 5:44 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Well, that explains why I haven't noticed it. I guess they're early '09 completion date is out the window.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2008, 10:39 PM

Yeah, Pfizer is supposed to move in early 2010. So I would imagine the building would be "done" by Alexandria's advertising standards (ie. shell space) around mid-2009. That would give a standard 6-9 month build-out for Pfizer's finished space.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2008, 4:03 PM

You can barely see it in the back corner, but it certainly appears as if the first piece of steel for UCSF's cardiovascular research building has just gone up.

Again, from the webcam:

Old Posted Oct 6, 2008, 5:50 PM

I'll try to post a webcam shot every Monday morning to document progress on UCSF's cardiovascular research building.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2008, 7:35 PM
Only Mostly Dead

I love how fast steel-framed buildings go up. Not bad for a week's work.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2008, 6:02 PM

Another Monday CVRB shot from the webcam. They're still doing some foundation work at the south end, so they're really going vertical on the north end.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2008, 3:12 AM

Also noticed today that the taller tower crane at Avalon Phase III is down.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2008, 10:34 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Did you happen to notice if the big mobile crane was helping disassemble the tower crane or are they using it to bring material up instead of the tower crane? I went by so fast this morning, I couldn't really tell. Either way, the skin is getting there and I'm liking it.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2008, 2:29 AM

I can't see from my vantage point what the mobile crane has been up to. I assume it's been disassembling the tower crane.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2008, 6:16 PM

Two different webcam shots today in order to capture the progress. The first is the usual one, from the CVRB webcam. The second is from the Diller Building webcam that is better capturing the CVRB's height. The section in the far corner is topped out, but you can see in the foreground just how much of the footprint is yet to be started.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2008, 12:15 AM
Only Mostly Dead

According to the SF Business Times, Mission Bay won't be seeing much new residential building anytime soon:

Quote:
Mission Bay housing construction slows to a crawl
San Francisco Business Times - by J.K. Dineen
Friday, October 17, 2008

The national housing crash is finally dragging down high-flying Mission Bay.

Over the past five years, new blocks of apartments and condos have sprouted up at a mind-boggling clip along Mission Bay’s Berry and King streets: 2,964 units were built, creating a new neighborhood seemingly overnight.

But while 3,090 more units are approved to be built across Mission Creek in Mission Bay South, the domestic housing slump and global financial panic is starting to take its toll. In September, the Business Times reported that Bosa Development, the largest residential property owner in Mission Bay, had suspended work on the 318-unit second phase of the Radiance because the developer’s lenders wanted to see 75 percent of the 99-unit Phase I sold before construction on part two resumes. While Bosa hopes to start construction up again in the spring of 2009, a prolonged recession could delay that date as well as push back all of the 1,700 units the developer plans for the area.

“I think Mission Bay is further along than anyone imagined it would be, but I would not be surprised if there is a couple of years where not a whole lot happens,” said Don Little, senior vice president of Opus West Corp., which recently sold the last unit of its 110-unit Park Terrace. “Bosa has a great opportunity — they are just going to have to wait for the next cycle.”

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development