HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Royal Connaught Phase III in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Hamilton Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 2:37 PM
Burger Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonBoyInToronto View Post
Just saw the new renderings and if this happens it will change Hamilton's skyline and really up Hamilton's game !!! ������������
DON'T LEAVE US HANGING lol

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 5:00 PM

Post Renderings for RC3

Hi everyone,

Here are the renders,

All credit should be given to the RC3 development team. This looks great IMO. That corner and the existing RC towers are definitely add some much needed upscale living to the downtown area. I hope that some great restaurants/businesses fill in the ground floor commercial spaces.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 5:37 PM

Honestly, a little disappointed.. the tower just a jumble of different things, and top part especially seems like a mess (the podium is perfect though).

I LOLed at their depiction of Crown Plaza too

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawrylyshyn View Post
Honestly, a little disappointed.. the tower just a jumble of different things, and top part especially seems like a mess (the podium is perfect though).

I LOLed at their depiction of Crown Plaza too
I agree, nothing special. Probably going to be years before we actually see this built anyway.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 6:14 PM

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 7:36 PM
Burger Connoisseur

Damn this is beautiful especially by Hamilton standards, will definitely be a game changer in the core and THAT PODIUM wow! Love all the amenities as well, really stepping up the luxury game in the city.

Thank you escolt45 for posting the renders!

EDIT: Looks like 36 or 37 floors? What counts are you getting?

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 9:15 PM

Today:

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonBoyInToronto View Post
Just saw the new renderings and if this happens it will change Hamilton's skyline and really up Hamilton's game !!! ������������
Holy Shit you weren't kidding. I hope that podium's built well, if it's like the renderings then it'll really really improve the area I do hope they're well on their way to construction, because wow has this has got me excited

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 10:06 PM

Moderne Website

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 10:34 PM

These types of amenities just end up being a money suck at the end of the day. I've owned a condo in Burlington for quite a while and many of these types of amenities never get used.

What would be better in most places would be to have public amenities which are subsidized for condo residents. For example the gym in my condo building is okay, but not the same as Crunch, LA Fitness or GoodLife. It would be nicer to have a GoodLife on the first couple floors with subsidized memberships for condo members, or in the case of kids rooms, a real daycare where residents could get free or reduced price spaces.

Would the scotch tasting bar be open to the public? If not, what would be the point? How often are people going to go to a private tasting bar in their own condo building?

I'm not a fan of the random jumbled glass that seems to pass for "modern". The first few floors are nice if done properly, though I don't have faith in the Spalacci group at all to not use like stucco and precast. It also dwarfs the old beauty of the original Royal Connaught. One of the most prestigious and beautiful buildings in the city being outdone on scale by multiple times immediately adjacent. I'm just not a fan. Whatever though, I guess density and housing is good, no matter the look and cost...

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 10:39 PM

This looks like the hottest new Liberty village condo release circa 2008. Terrible. Clunky and inelegant.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 3:31 AM
Forever forward.

This render is more honest and also appears to be more recent seeing when it was uploaded to their site:

Honestly, don't know why folks are so excited over this design - while floors 1 through 7 could turn out well, I'm not holding my breath as you need a real commitment to material quality to achieve that - and the rest of the tower is architecturally bankrupt. That crown of grey window wall spandrel is particularly awful.

A real disappointment - one of the few towers to reach above the escarpment height limit, an opportunity to make a statement with high-quality architecture, but this is what we get.

I cannot think that developers are doing themselves or the development industry as a whole a service by putting up dreck like this. It gives an excuse to NIMBY naysayers to argue against future projects and it does nothing to encourage support among pro-development individuals who care about the built environment and architecture.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 4:12 AM

Yeah, this thing is a mess. There are no excuses for this monstrosity. They have had years to put together something exceptional and they've settled on this. It's embarrassing. The only solace I find in it is the fact that I doubt it will ever be built. I hope for something incredible on the Main street portion of this property one day. This is NOT it.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 5:52 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by escolt45 View Post
Hi everyone,

Here are the renders,

All credit should be given to the RC3 development team. This looks great IMO. That corner and the existing RC towers are definitely add some much needed upscale living to the downtown area. I hope that some great restaurants/businesses fill in the ground floor commercial spaces.

I was a bit iffy on this until I saw the updated renders above which show it with the black accents instead of the white - I actually think it looks pretty good - in THIS render hehe..

that and I love the stone, kinda wish some more detailed elements and cornice stone work would be done to tie it more to the connaught but I realize that's mucho $$$ so I am ok with what is there - this is mostly parking garage the podium anyways from what I recall.

I actually really like how the dark brick continues all the way up tying it into the connaught colours and the podium. It's amazing how much of a difference a few tweaks can make

The entranceway reminds me of the novotel entrance in toronto with the arches and recessed entrance - I really love that

Although I am not sure WHERE they got that building render across the street from it lol..

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 6:05 PM

Given where this is at regarding approvals, will it have to go on its own to the DRP?

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyhamont View Post
Given where this is at regarding approvals, will it have to go on its own to the DRP?
The zoning is in place so it's just site plan. I'm not sure if the building recieved SPA approval previously or not.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 7:42 PM

Find it hard to believe they'd be able to upsell downtown to this degree. These would be a minimum 600K and up. The developers believe they could sell 30 plus floors with scaled increased costing units? I mean you can buy a house still close to downtown for the staring price of some of these new builds (kiwi). Maybe in 10 years when stuff is well underway for the core but this seems a bit farfetched in the current environment. Need more infrastructure to support people who would be putting down a pretty penny for these units. Who knows. Either way could be better. Brick balconies?

The art deco advert materials don't really make sense with the renders. For the old part sure.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 7:49 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftbeerdad View Post
Find it hard to believe they'd be able to upsell downtown to this degree. These would be a minimum 600K and up. The developers believe they could sell 30 plus floors with scaled increased costing units? I mean you can buy a house still close to downtown for the staring price of some of these new builds (kiwi). Maybe in 10 years when stuff is well underway for the core but this seems a bit farfetched in the current environment. Need more infrastructure to support people who would be putting down a pretty penny for these units. Who knows. Either way could be better. Brick balconies?

The art deco advert materials don't really make sense with the renders. For the old part sure.
I am NOT complaining - any sort of craftsmanship styles should be welcomed - and toronto people will always be a market for these places.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 8:21 PM

Didn't say you were, in fact I am. You're surprisingly positive on this one.

The views would be spectacular once you get to the last 1/3rd of the building.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftbeerdad View Post
Brick balconies?
Right? so weird.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton